Marvel's Predator (Volume 1) - Predator: Day of the Hunter

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Mar 18, 2021, 06:30:03 PM

Author
Marvel's Predator (Volume 1) - Predator: Day of the Hunter (Read 68,881 times)

SuperiorIronman

SuperiorIronman

Writing this as I'm reading it.

Spoiler
- On the timeline page Predators is listed as taking place in 2010. Isabelle returns to Earth somewhere around 2025. Shane Black was under the impression that it takes place during or after The Predator. Isabelle can still return to Earth in 2025, it just means that she's been gone for 15 years for those events to have taken place in 2010. Further assuming that comment about Assassin being related to the supers is correct, that still works, we just have to assume if Assassin is any sort of prototype then the genetic engineering has to be before 2010.

- Fugitive did not crash in America, he crashed in Mexico (filmed in Canada). The ship is brought to America and Assassin's ship lands in America, but Fugitive does not crash there.

- Theta should've been killed. Common misconception, they WILL kill kids. The only reason City Hunter didn't blow the kid away in the cemetery was that he wasn't holding a real gun. Later in the film he goes wild on the subway because literally everybody was armed. He only doesn't kill Leona because she's pregnant and her baby cannot fight back by any means, but Theta cut off the Predator's mandible. She should be dead. It's a threat she made good on.

That out of the way, it's not bad, it's just not Predator. This feels like Alien, but one of that book's cast is fighting a Predator. And I understand Theta is not from that and I haven't kept up with Alien due to the tracing but you know what I mean. It's tonally at odds with the films it's using to inform the backstory of the Marvel Predator continuity. Marvel's Predator feels like the world of Alien, and the world of Predator while fantastical is very much grounded in our world. Predators are scary because they inhabit a world like our own warts and all. Protagonists of these movies tend to be millitary but any of the fantastical weapons and gear either belong to the aliens themselves or are super science informed by encounters with these aliens. Theta's armor is fine, we've seen enough of these over the years that's not an issue, but putting it near future and in space is a mistake.

It works from this idea that Theta could use one of their ships. Perhaps her first kill and uses that to find her nemesis. Why is it an Alien Prequel style landing craft? This book takes place roughly 30 years from now in deep space. It's too much.

As well is that we know the Predators fight other aliens, we've seen the River Ghost and trophy cases, but the designs of the aliens here look more like something that belongs in Marvel comics. Yeah this is very much a Marvel book, but they look like Moloids. Which don't look anything like any of the aliens in the films. And while granted most of those are skulls and the River Ghost, they again don't tonally belong here.

And really that's my issue with the book. It reads fine, it's just not Predator. Which of course is half the reason you'd even buy this thing. But end of the day it reads fine, the art is mostly clear what is happening and Theta has a simple origin story and comes across fine if not single-minded. It's just that this is a book that could be a whole lot better, and more Predator.

I give it a C. Either needs a relaunch like Alien or a new writer that has gotten a refresher on the universe. Not a bad pitch but definitely a rocky start.
[close]

TilotnyWorshiper28

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Aug 14, 2022, 03:24:56 PMWriting this as I'm reading it.

Spoiler
- On the timeline page Predators is listed as taking place in 2010. Isabelle returns to Earth somewhere around 2025. Shane Black was under the impression that it takes place during or after The Predator. Isabelle can still return to Earth in 2025, it just means that she's been gone for 15 years for those events to have taken place in 2010. Further assuming that comment about Assassin being related to the supers is correct, that still works, we just have to assume if Assassin is any sort of prototype then the genetic engineering has to be before 2010.

- Fugitive did not crash in America, he crashed in Mexico (filmed in Canada). The ship is brought to America and Assassin's ship lands in America, but Fugitive does not crash there.

- Theta should've been killed. Common misconception, they WILL kill kids. The only reason City Hunter didn't blow the kid away in the cemetery was that he wasn't holding a real gun. Later in the film he goes wild on the subway because literally everybody was armed. He only doesn't kill Leona because she's pregnant and her baby cannot fight back by any means, but Theta cut off the Predator's mandible. She should be dead. It's a threat she made good on.

That out of the way, it's not bad, it's just not Predator. This feels like Alien, but one of that book's cast is fighting a Predator. And I understand Theta is not from that and I haven't kept up with Alien due to the tracing but you know what I mean. It's tonally at odds with the films it's using to inform the backstory of the Marvel Predator continuity. Marvel's Predator feels like the world of Alien, and the world of Predator while fantastical is very much grounded in our world. Predators are scary because they inhabit a world like our own warts and all. Protagonists of these movies tend to be millitary but any of the fantastical weapons and gear either belong to the aliens themselves or are super science informed by encounters with these aliens. Theta's armor is fine, we've seen enough of these over the years that's not an issue, but putting it near future and in space is a mistake.

It works from this idea that Theta could use one of their ships. Perhaps her first kill and uses that to find her nemesis. Why is it an Alien Prequel style landing craft? This book takes place roughly 30 years from now in deep space. It's too much.

As well is that we know the Predators fight other aliens, we've seen the River Ghost and trophy cases, but the designs of the aliens here look more like something that belongs in Marvel comics. Yeah this is very much a Marvel book, but they look like Moloids. Which don't look anything like any of the aliens in the films. And while granted most of those are skulls and the River Ghost, they again don't tonally belong here.

And really that's my issue with the book. It reads fine, it's just not Predator. Which of course is half the reason you'd even buy this thing. But end of the day it reads fine, the art is mostly clear what is happening and Theta has a simple origin story and comes across fine if not single-minded. It's just that this is a book that could be a whole lot better, and more Predator.

I give it a C. Either needs a relaunch like Alien or a new writer that has gotten a refresher on the universe. Not a bad pitch but definitely a rocky start.
[close]
yeah there not gunna be a new writer for a while remember these were done when the lawsuit first started. we don't know how many arcs they have finished from then to now

Wompdonkey

Im out of the loop I guess, but what lawsuit are you referring to?

TilotnyWorshiper28

Quote from: Wompdonkey on Aug 14, 2022, 07:27:50 PMIm out of the loop I guess, but what lawsuit are you referring to?
the one bout the rights to predator that was a few years ago that prevent marvel from releasing these issues when they first got the licence

Wompdonkey

Quote from: TilotnyWorshiper28 on Aug 14, 2022, 10:54:41 PM
Quote from: Wompdonkey on Aug 14, 2022, 07:27:50 PMIm out of the loop I guess, but what lawsuit are you referring to?
the one bout the rights to predator that was a few years ago that prevent marvel from releasing these issues when they first got the licence

Oh wow this is the first I'm hearing about it. So we might be locked in to a few arcs. I just bought my issue today but I haven't had a chance to read it. People don't seem super jazzed about it, but for different reasons than when Marvel's Alien first released.

PAS Spinelli

This is really weird, the backstory is very bad and hard to believe, the art is a breath of fresh air, even if unmasked preds are ugly, but the writing itself is fine, it really feels like they handed a shitty premise to a semi competent writer and told him to fix it

ModMonkey

ModMonkey

Quote from: Rex on Aug 14, 2022, 03:40:34 AMJust finished reading the first issue. I think it was decently promising, but I'm curious what the general consensus in the fandom is.

I thought it was an excellent first issue, personally. They probably jumped that far ahead so they wouldn't conflict with anything 20th Studios might have in development. Time periods mean very little to me in this franchise as it has always jumped around, as long as there have been Predator comics.

The writing was solid, as was the art. I'm curious where it's going next. Happier with this launch than with the first issue of Alien.

You should read again, SuperiorIronman.

Spoiler
Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Aug 14, 2022, 03:24:56 PM- Theta should've been killed. Common misconception, they WILL kill kids. The only reason City Hunter didn't blow the kid away in the cemetery was that he wasn't holding a real gun. Later in the film he goes wild on the subway because literally everybody was armed. He only doesn't kill Leona because she's pregnant and her baby cannot fight back by any means, but Theta cut off the Predator's mandible. She should be dead. It's a threat she made good on.

Theta's mom cut off the tusk and dropped the blade when the Predator killed her. You see it hanging on her belt and it's her who is hacking at the Predator holding her. Then Theta steps up to pick up the blade, is ignored by the Predator, and goes to see about her mom.
[close]

Rex

Quote from: ModMonkey on Aug 15, 2022, 05:20:00 AMTime periods mean very little to me in this franchise as it has always jumped around, as long as there have been Predator comics.

The writing was solid, as was the art. I'm curious where it's going next. Happier with this launch than with the first issue of Alien.

Here's hoping for a more traditional Marvel Predator story in the near future.

SuperiorIronman

I'll concede it probably was the mom but my point still stands she should be dead. Establishing Predator 2 as backstory should mean this guy shouldn't take issue with it. Yeah things could be different between them, but then why establish a timeline if it's not going to inform how this universe works?

Of course there's probably more to this in later issues but it doesn't hold up for me on its own.

Wompdonkey

Other people have said it, but this Series seems like it's going to tie I to AvP, but I don't think they will. I'm not usually one for Preds in the future, but I kinda like the story set up.

Art is pretty solid, and the pacing of the issue is pretty good as well. Theta is a bit too much of an ultimate badass to so easily hunt Predators, but I think issue 2 will flip that so she is the hunted.

Xiggz456

Finally got around to giving this a read and I like it so far. I enjoyed how the story bounced back and forth between the past and the present. The art is especially great during the action scenes as it conveys so much movement! I like the future setting but it does give me a "Xenogenesis" type of vibe which isn't my favorite but I'm still interested to see where it goes!

TilotnyWorshiper28

November's Predator #4  Solicitation

PREDATOR #4
ED BRISSON (W) • KEV WALKER (A) • Cover by LEINIL FRANCIS YU
Variant Cover by Salvador Larroca • Variant Cover by Stan Sakai
Theta's in danger as two Predators have her cornered! It's life or death as Theta goes head-to-head in an all-out dogfight!
32 PGS./Parental Advisory ...$3.99

Kradan

Muscle lady, mmm, yummy

Ultramorph

I really like the Pred design on that cover. Very Bad Blood vibes.

ZergVsProtoss

First post on my new account here since I have long lost the email account from my original.

Picked up the comic without having any prior knowledge to the storyline.

Like:
  • Future Storyline (Easier for an Alien crossover in the future)
  • Art for the most part
  • Variant Cover I picked up was top notch

Dislike:
  • Going to echo what other says and say I wish they kicked things off with a more traditional Predator storyline.
  • The other Aliens look like they were ripped from a Guardians of the Galaxy comic and not something that would appear in the Predator/Alien Universe
  • Starting a new series by Worfing your title character is a bold move and I don't think it really will pay off.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed