Dark Horse Comics Announces Aliens: Colonial Marines: Rising Threat!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jun 13, 2019, 02:32:05 PM

Author
Dark Horse Comics Announces Aliens: Colonial Marines: Rising Threat! (Read 61,910 times)

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Jun 28, 2019, 12:26:24 PM
Quote from: 426Buddy on Jun 28, 2019, 11:53:46 AM
The ACM curse could strike again.

So the worst we can get as a bad/incoherent story but with the Aliens/Colonial Marine aesthetic done perfectly.

It could be like the game or the original ACM comic series which was terrible also.

So the worst we could get is a terrible product like the game or a terrible product like the comic series.

The comic series had some cool cover art though.

JokersWarPig

The original comic series wasn't that bad, the cover with the marine falling out of the drop ship into the aliens below was always my favorite. It lost me when the weird hybrid guys with weird ears showed up, I think that was issue 8 or 9, I think they were also psychic? It got weird quick and out of nowhere if I remember right.

If the stuff they've been putting out recently is anything to go by though I'm not worried about this new run being bad.

426Buddy

Yeah I was mostly just attempting humor since anything with a ACM title has been poor at best.

SM

They set that hybrid stuff up in the first issue.

And yet it still got very weird in the last couple of issues.

The cover of the first issue with the Alien with the USCM grenade in its mouth was always my favourite.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I re-read the comic series recently and it was so much better than I remembered. Still a bit corny but had a lot going for it. Really wanted to see more of the Bug Men!

426Buddy

426Buddy

It was one of the few series I missed out on as a kid. when I started collecting again as an adult I was super excited to finally get my hands on it. But reading it through I found it hard to follow and I thought the bug men would be better in something more like star trek, really out of place in the Alien universe. Overall all it felt confusing, disjointed  and super cheesy. Also the ever changing interior art ranged from mediocre to bad. The only thing I really enjoyed was the cover art. I'm usually pretty firgiving of the comics overall but this and DotS get no love from me.

Kimarhi

The bug men are essentially the guy in prometheus

Perfect-Organism

You mean that Fifield guy?

ACM Comics series was my jumping off point.  I walked away from the series for many years after that happened.  It was really Prometheus that brought me back.

Kimarhi

It's pretty much the same concept.  Royal jelly turns people into bugmen in A:CM comic series, black goo turns people into weird alien hybrids in Prometheus.

I like what ACM attempted to do, but it was still in that 80's and 90's era mentality of comicbooks in that the story felt very much like a comic book of that era, instead of just a story told through the comic medium. 

Same kind of crazy shit happened in DOTS.  Where there are ideas I liked (survivors hanging over the dwindling earth populace in sky cities while Aliens massacred everyone below, while a Predator hunts a woman for reasons she cant remember (plus the art for the initial issues was really good) but it devolved into pure 90's comic mess at the end. 

Both concepts would be better realized in today's era of comic writing, because todays era fits the movies better.  Back then the movies kind of fit the comic formula.

Or maybe DH just couldn't go full Alien back then.

Even though the seemed to be able to with Labyrinth. 

If I look at ACM and DOTS as just comics it bothers me a lot less than it does if I keep referencing the source material in my head.  Just like if I look at Resurrection as a standalone movie. 

SM

I don't think it's so much about referencing the source material, so much as both series had an interesting premise that never had a satisfying pay off.

Perfect-Organism

SM

Alien/ Predator : Deadliest of the Species by Chris Claremont

(no vs. in the title)

Local Trouble

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jun 29, 2019, 03:34:30 AM
Um, What's DOTS?

There are people who've read it several times that still aren't sure.

Whiskeybrewer

Colonial Marines was the first comic series i read for Aliens.

I did really enjoy it, but they just rushed the ending because the creative team kept changing.

And yes the Cover of the guy falling towards the Aliens below is one of the best Alien covers out there. Hell we even got that Awesome Herk Mondo one as well

SM

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 29, 2019, 06:09:41 AM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jun 29, 2019, 03:34:30 AM
Um, What's DOTS?

There are people who've read it several times that still aren't sure.

Also this.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed