Dark Horse Comics Announces Alien vs. Predator: Thicker Than Blood!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 18, 2019, 08:28:03 PM

Author
Dark Horse Comics Announces Alien vs. Predator: Thicker Than Blood! (Read 113,416 times)

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 27, 2021, 02:20:46 PM
But you can hear us all argue the f**k with each other in the next episode of the podcast!  ;D

:laugh:

I prefer to call it a spirited debate!

Russ840

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 27, 2021, 02:02:09 PM
Quote from: Russ840 on Jan 27, 2021, 11:08:32 AM
It's a damn shame that we didn't get all the background detailed in a some extras for the trade. Damn shame.

Thinking of the poster on the wall, George Miller did that for Mad Max Fury Road. Maybe that's where Barlow learned it. The characters, even the cars had backstories, some that were adapted into great comics. But the rub is we weren't missing anything in Fury Road for a viewer to not understand its core characters like the Predators. Instead I was left confused by their actions/motivations. If Barlow can tighten his writing akin to Miller's, his stuff could be top shelf to me!  :)

I can't say I needed the backstory in there. Not to say I wouldn't like it there.

But an essay from Barlow, detailing his ideas and stories would have been a great bit of bonus material.

I honestly don't think, in the comic itself, we need to understand the Predators. I really enjoyed wondering what they were up to with the Xeno and their behaviour.

HuDaFuK

Didn't one of the old Dark Horse Aliens short stories get a text-only prequel in a random preview magazine? They could've done something similar here.

Voodoo Magic

Or just make an intro page of it in a reprint!

Quote from: Russ840 on Jan 27, 2021, 02:54:17 PM
I honestly don't think, in the comic itself, we need to understand the Predators. I really enjoyed wondering what they were up to with the Xeno and their behaviour.

And perhaps that might be the teeter point for where one might feel. What people get stuck on or waive by.
Spoiler
For me, when the normally sports hunting coded nomadic Predator behavior is so odd to begin with... killing men, women and children because a cruise ship crossed an imaginary Romulan line in space.. to a Predator trying to kill kids, loses his limbs in a tourist elevator doing so, is attempted to be drowned by same kids, then makes friends with the trespassers, then saves kids and lays down a comatose body of one, only to almost suck the comatose kid body into space five seconds later, the very thing it just saved... for me it was a wtf did I just read?  I know Harrigan had 30 seconds to get off that Lost Predator Ship but he just killed one of their own Predators and he's not a comatose android child that was just saved.  But alas, that's just where I was coming from, things I had trouble getting past.  :)
[close]

Russ840

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 27, 2021, 03:25:29 PM

And perhaps that might be the teeter point for where one might feel. What people get stuck on or waive by.
Spoiler
For me, when the normally sports hunting coded nomadic Predator behavior is so odd to begin with... killing men, women and children because a cruise ship crossed an imaginary Romulan line in space.. to a Predator trying to kill kids, loses his limbs in a tourist elevator doing so, is attempted to be drowned by same kids, then makes friends with the trespassers, then saves kids and lays down a comatose body of one, only to almost suck the comatose kid body into space five seconds later, the very thing it just saved... for me it was a wtf did I just read?  I know Harrigan had 30 seconds to get off that Lost Predator Ship but he just killed one of their own Predators and he's not a comatose android child that was just saved.  But alas, that's just where I was coming from, things I had trouble getting past.  :)
[close]

I can see why you struggle with that.

My thinking on that is that it can be argued that we know very little about Predator culture, races, habits and so on. So this differing behaviour and agenda is fascinating to me. It add mystery to them and makes them, for want or a better word, alien.  These guys seem more unique.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

And I love it because it fits the interpretation of them that I love of them being largely sadistic mofos who enjoy a good kill. Removed of the rules of the game, removed of their equivalent of civility and respect and it coming down to "get off my lawn" where they just go nuts, I absolutely love it.

Honestly, I'd love to see more of the Predators outside of the hunt. I want to see more straight military action. It's why War #0 and The Rage War have a big appeal to me. It's nice to see divergent behavior, a reason a lot of us are probably super into the Bad Bloods for.

Russ840

It's just great to get variety. 

Man I F'ing loved this comic.

Hunter-Killer

Cool episode, I don't ever really see that series when I'm looking through the comics, I'll definitely keep my eyes peeled next time

Spoiler alert for Adam; corporal Hicks shows up in Mandalorian.

I also recently realized that Michael Biehn was in the video game command and conquered Tiberian sun, which blew my mind because I used to play that game all the time as a kid and I never realized he was in it

Xiggz456

Fantastic interview fellas! Such a fun listen and I loved hearing all the extra backstory as well as learning how Barlow approaches script writing in comic form. Really looking forward to giving this a another read now!

XenoHunter99

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 27, 2021, 02:39:07 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 27, 2021, 02:20:46 PM
But you can hear us all argue the f**k with each other in the next episode of the podcast!  ;D

:laugh:

I prefer to call it a spirited debate!

Sounds like it will be fun to hear!  :laugh:

SM

Went to buy this from Amazon the other day - no Kindle version.  >:(

And doesn't appear to be available electronically via the Marvel site.

HuDaFuK

Are any other series available digitally from them yet? Might they be holding them back until they do the physical collections?

Voodoo Magic

It would seem a solid strategy!

Quote from: Russ840 on Jan 27, 2021, 03:50:29 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 27, 2021, 03:25:29 PM

Spoiler
[close]

I can see why you struggle with that.

My thinking on that is that it can be argued that we know very little about Predator culture, races, habits and so on. So this differing behaviour and agenda is fascinating to me. It add mystery to them and makes them, for want or a better word, alien.  These guys seem more unique.

So the idea would be we have honor coded Predators, Bad Bloods and Territorial Predators... the latter being perhaps reclusive clans that will kill everything alive that invade their space. I can roll with that I think, and could really appreciate it if fleshed out well. Indeed! :)

But in this book to me Barlow was all over the place. They were like bad bloods, until they're not. They're territorial, until they're not. Instead of just shooting the ship, they board, kill men, women and children, string them up in hunting practices. Wait, was this over territory or a hunt? But once we lose a couple limbs, Pred and invader kids are besties now, even holding Maria back from danger.

Barlow mentioned there was some sort of redemption arc for the Elder? I couldn't find it in the book I read. He stated the Predators reasons for boarding was mechanical versus organic, etc., and with these Predator motivations, it definitely shows to me. *sigh* However, the Predator artwork? I found it so, so gorgeous!  So it's a mixed bag for me on that front. Happy you enjoyed it though!  :)

Russ840

There will be no Digital versions until Marvel get around to releasing.

All Alien and Predator digital comic material has been pulled from comixology, which is an Amazon company. As such, there shouldn't be any for kindle.

TStyx

After hearing the podcast I tried to find them on line but I can only find issues 1 and 2 for sale.  There is a 96 page "paperback" version, is that all 4 issues together?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed