Predator - Stalking Shadows by James A Moore

Started by felix, Sep 30, 2019, 03:14:27 AM

Author
Predator - Stalking Shadows by James A Moore (Read 35,191 times)

SuperiorIronman

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on May 22, 2020, 05:11:24 PM
Yo guys, can someone tell me if the book fixes the stuff that The Predator did? undo the autism retcons and stuff

While I don't have my copy yet its worth mentioning that seemingly the only carryover is Stargazer as an antagonistic force but otherwise the hybridization is a trait only left to the Assassin and the Fugitive Predators.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 22, 2020, 09:46:08 AMSeems to be
Spoiler
they're supposed to be Stargazer.
[close]

Definitely the vibe I got, to the point where I assumed it would be clarified later on.

Corporal Hicks

Voodoo Magic

Wow thst was fast! Still waiting on delivery of mine. :-\

Hudson

Oh boy. I'm about to place an order for this and suddenly see it's co-authored by Mark Morris...who co-wrote The Predator novelization. I will temper my expectations and hopefully I'll come out on top this time.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Hudson on May 25, 2020, 04:52:15 PM
Oh boy. I'm about to place an order for this and suddenly see it's co-authored by Mark Morris...who co-wrote The Predator novelization. I will temper my expectations and hopefully I'll come out on top this time.

I believe Mark Morris only came in and pinched hit in the finale innings for James Moore, as Moore struggled with health issues. So I'd assume the book is more Moore than Morris.

HuDaFuK

Finished this today. Hicks' review is pretty much spot-on in terms of reflecting my own thoughts. The core concept could've been interesting but it took way too long (more than half the novel) to get going and overall it felt terribly uninspired and by-the-numbers. There are worse Predator books, but I can't think of any as bland as this.

Other than the Isolation adaptation I'd rate this as comfortably the weakest Titan novel.

Stitch

Stitch

I enjoyed the majority of it. The way the different chapters start in different years made me think that it could work well as a miniseries.
I thought the ending was a bit abrupt, though. Wasn't enough build up, and it was over a bit too quickly for it to be satisfying. I even had to reread a bit to make sure I hasn't missed anything. I hadn't, it just ended.

I'd give it a 7, I think. The expanded lore and the character perspective was good, as was the continued story of Dutch, but there was teased  information implying a story which might have been better than the one told.

Katanu

That's pretty much what I think too.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Stitch on May 31, 2020, 04:59:00 AM
I enjoyed the majority of it. The way the different chapters start in different years made me think that it could work well as a miniseries.

It's why I thought another anthology might have been a better way to tell this story.

Xiggz456

Finally finished this!

Spoiler
The novel felt more akin to a diary than a traditional narrative as we skipped through Devlin's military career. So in that way it kinda reminded me of "Bloody Sands of Time". I really enjoyed every Predator encounter but I will gripe that all of the Preds were too brazen, attacking an entire squad of soldiers, as opposed to stalking their prey and picking them off one by one. I enjoyed the inclusion of Dutch and was able to "hear" his voice when I read his dialogue and I liked how Devlin's team and Dutch's path would cross due to military assignments.
[close]

All in all, the book wasn't what I expected but I still had a good time reading it.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

So Scott Devlin is supposed to be
Spoiler
Zeus from the game for those interested.
[close]

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 12, 2020, 08:07:29 AM
So Scott Devlin is supposed to be
Spoiler
Zeus from the game for those interested.
[close]
As in the (effectively) narrator who briefs you at the beginning of the mission?

Corporal Hicks

And throughout the missions, yes.

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

I figured as much but good to have confirmation. They probably should've mentioned
Spoiler
Zeus
[close]
in the actual book though.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed