Remind me. In Alien 3 is it two face huggers? or one Royal Facehugger?

Started by Inverse Effect, Mar 18, 2023, 07:43:31 AM

Author
Remind me. In Alien 3 is it two face huggers? or one Royal Facehugger? (Read 2,547 times)

Inverse Effect

Specifically talking about the Assembly cut. In neither cut i don't remember their being more than 1 face hugger shown on camera.

SiL

We see two different types of facehugger (normal, Super), never in the same scene though. Regular in the opening, Super in the abattoir.

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

I always see it that no matter which cut you watch, there is only one hugger; A super hugger. My head canon is that it appears as a regular hugger when freshly hatched from its ovomorph. However, when it doesn't die after laying its first embryo, like all Xenos I like to think it grows/undergoes a metamorphosis off screen. Just like a chestburster sheds it's skin losing it's pink fleshy tones and grows / gains a hardened exoskeleton/ dark colouring, it's not hard to imagine this particular type of hugger can do the same. That would account for its appearance in the abattoir. Also worth considering is Ash's comment in the original movie about the xeno "adapting remarkably well to our atmosphere" - when the EEV crashes it is submerged in the sea. The superhugger has webbed legs - perfect adaptation for swimming ashore - it could equally be argued that the hugger adapted to suit its host..a regular hugger would struggle to fit the face of an ox 😁👍

BlueMarsalis79

I thought I posted in here earlier already?

Guess not.

Basically exactly what Acid_Reign161 wrote.

SiL

Except in the theatrical version it never changes in appearance even after submersion.

BlueMarsalis79

In the threatrical version Ripley somehow does not drown in her damaged cryotube whilst Newt does, whereas our protagonist in the Special Edition gets washed out on to the beach.

So in the theatrical version there would have had to be an air pocket in which Ripley survived and so did the Facehugger, later on, we even see the Facehugger crawl down from the enclosed end of the EEV away from the water.

In the Special Edition judging by Ripley being washed out everything not impaled by safety support or securely drowned would have been flushed out, including the Facehugger that in this scenario would have to learn how to swim, and fast.

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: SiL on Mar 19, 2023, 11:48:34 AMExcept in the theatrical version it never changes in appearance even after submersion.

That is true, though as BlueMarsalis79 mentions it may not have had to in the theatrical cut scenario. Also, a dog isn't as large as an ox, so if the metamorphosis was triggered by host size rather than environment, it may have been able to lay its second embryo without change (though worth noting, Spikes face is really badly cut into - regular huggers don't appear to leave any marks when attached to a human host, and the superhugger appears to have spiked legs..it's a shame we didn't see the huggers corpse in the theatrical cut 😅

Inverse Effect

Isn't the face hugger in first moments of the movie just a regular one tho?

Local Trouble

Wweyland

I just realized that somebody could make a cut where both the dog and the ox give birth, essentially making 2 runners. One survives!

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: Wweyland on Mar 20, 2023, 10:39:46 PMI just realized that somebody could make a cut where both the dog and the ox give birth, essentially making 2 runners. One survives!

I've often thought about it as fan edit... putting together as much of the theatrical and assembly cut as possible that doesn't contradict itself, use the dog burster for the movie...and in the final moment, as we hear the "this is Ripley, last survivor of the Nostromo, signing off" *boom* ox burster explodes from carcus, lifts its head and opens its mouth (cut to credits).

Would be fun but would make Ripley's sacrifice pointless beyond stopping Weyu getting their hands on a specimen 😂

Wweyland

Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on Mar 20, 2023, 10:51:25 PM
Quote from: Wweyland on Mar 20, 2023, 10:39:46 PMI just realized that somebody could make a cut where both the dog and the ox give birth, essentially making 2 runners. One survives!

I've often thought about it as fan edit... putting together as much of the theatrical and assembly cut as possible that doesn't contradict itself, use the dog burster for the movie...and in the final moment, as we hear the "this is Ripley, last survivor of the Nostromo, signing off" *boom* ox burster explodes from carcus, lifts its head and opens its mouth (cut to credits).

Would be fun but would make Ripley's sacrifice pointless beyond stopping Weyu getting their hands on a specimen 😂
Well there are "hints" from the EU that some Alien(s) remained on Fury 161, like that one Bug Hunt story, or maybe some stuff from the games.

SiL

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Mar 19, 2023, 12:17:00 PMIn the threatrical version Ripley somehow does not drown in her damaged cryotube whilst Newt does, whereas our protagonist in the Special Edition gets washed out on to the beach.

So in the theatrical version there would have had to be an air pocket

Or the hugger was still on her and breathing for her, as they do.

Xenomrph

Newt's cryotube was underwater, it's why she drowned. Ripley's was not.

Interestingly it's a difference between the theatrical and assembly cuts - in the theatrical cut it's angled like / with Ripley's end being above the waterline and the other end underwater, whereas in the assembly cut it's angled like \ in the brief shot we see of it. I'm trying to find clips on youtube but coming up short.

BlueMarsalis79

That's what I thought, cool.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed