Aliens Expanded - A New Aliens Documentary Announced

Started by Darkness, Apr 26, 2022, 08:03:14 PM

Author
Aliens Expanded - A New Aliens Documentary Announced (Read 25,966 times)

Darkness

A brand new Aliens documentary has been announced! CreatorVC have unveiled AliensExpanded.com and announced that it will be producing a documentary all about James Cameron’s Aliens with insight into its cinematic legacy. There will be commentary from cast, crew, and fans alike, and will explore the mythology of the iconic movie.

The Aliens Expanded documentary will feature scene-by-scene analysis driven by memories and stories. It will explore the themes, plot, characters, atmosphere, special effects and what impact James Cameron’s Aliens had on the world.

Aliens Expanded - A New Aliens Documentary Announced

Prepare for dust off, folks. Exploring James Cameron's epic from teeth to tail, Aliens Expanded will open up this beloved film like never before. Aliens is arguably – Hell, let's just say it – the greatest sequel of all time; Aliens Expanded will be the ultimate celebration of exactly why.

It will go deep, right into the heart of the nest, to unearth the reason why we return to its embrace again and again. Every line on our lips. Every action beat a muscle memory. A genuine classic still as terrifying as the day we first joined the mission back to LV-426.

Much, much more than a making of. Way more ambitious than some video essay. Never before will such passion, wit, intellect, and pure worship be applied to a single film. 

CreatorVC are an independent global team of people who create documentaries about films they love from the 80’s. The documentaries are inspired and shaped by a dedicated community of fans. They previously produced In Search of the Last Action Heroes – a comprehensive retrospective of the 80’s action film genre.

Their second documentary was In Search of Darkness – an exploration of 80’s horror movies. They followed that up with Part 2 and are currently producing a third documentary in the series.

If you go to the website, you can view a teaser for the Aliens documentary. There doesn’t appear to be a release date for it yet. I believe, as well that their previous documentaries were crowd-funded on Kickstarter or Indiegogo so Aliens Expanded may follow a similar path.

xeno_alpha_07

Sweet, sounds brilliant.  Look forward to seeing it on its release.  Thanks for the info!

bobby brown

It makes me happy that the brand is still so strong! Very loyal fanbase!

Nightmare Asylum

Interesting. It'll be hard to match/top what Charles de Lauzirika and J.W. Rinzler have already done, but if they're able to score some new interviews with the cast and crew and can get some informative new answers out of them, I'll be all over that for sure.

Corporal Hicks

QuoteAliens Expanded will be the most passionate and detailed examination ever made of this much loved classic; an ultimate companion that will enhance your viewing experience with new insights and revelations.

But to achieve something truly special, we're going to need your help...

Our goal is to bring the entire Aliens fan community around this project, and then mine this collective hive mind for insights, questions, and unique viewpoints that will enhance our interviews with key cast and crew:

What do you wish you knew about Aliens, but have never heard about?

What incidental or not-so incidental plot point really interests you?

How could we think differently about classic elements?

�That process starts here, with this initial fan consultation. Below, we've provided the first details about how we're thinking about making this documentary, including a synopsis, and we want your input.

With the announcement of the creative team behind Aliens Expanded, we now know that Ian Nathan will helming Aliens Expanded. Nathan is well regarded amongst the film journalist community as not only a former editor and executive editor of the Empire magazine, but also as the author of Alien Vault and Ridley Scott: A Retrospective, and the upcoming James Cameron: A Retrospective.

On the Aliens Expanded website is a synopsis of the intent behind the documentary, an example of how scenes from Aliens would be explored and an emphasize on how much the production team at CreatorVC wants to involve the fandom in shaping Aliens Expanded. You will also find a survey on the website that invites the fandom to share their thoughts on the intent of Aliens Expanded, and also to share their own experiences. Be sure to head on over and make your voice heard! You have all of July to get involved. 

https://www.creatorvc.com/aliensexpanded

BlueMarsalis79

I submitted my inquest.  ;D

BlueMarsalis79

Honestly after listening to this here, sounds like it will be a bunch of unpleasant fanwank. "From the people who know the film best."

Corporal Hicks

So I'll also be involved in Aliens: Expanded too. As will other notable outlets amongst the community. Robin and CreativeVC really want to push the fan involvement aspect - they want to know what fans want to see, and not just be another rehash. Honestly, after speaking to him and learning Ian was involved I was really excited.

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 15, 2022, 11:09:32 AMSo I'll also be involved in Aliens: Expanded too. As will other notable outlets amongst the community. Robin and CreativeVC really want to push the fan involvement aspect - they want to know what fans want to see, and not just be another rehash. Honestly, after speaking to him and learning Ian was involved I was really excited.

I thought that might be the case yes, but I'm just really not interested in a roundtable of what amounts to people discussing how perfect it is and showing contempt for everything else in the franchise, and I see that a lot from the "Aliens fans" in particular rivaling Star Wars fandom for how awful and toxic they can be.

Some of the descriptors in the synopsis make me nervous to that end honestly, we'll see, but I can't help wishing it was a documentary on any of the other entries in the series.

Especially after Superior Firepower and J.W Rinzler's book, my question's just why, what more do we have to uncover here? That's why that Alien Isolation thing interests me most of the upcoming behind the scenes content.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Jul 15, 2022, 11:18:24 AMI thought that might be the case yes, but I'm just really not interested in a roundtable of what amounts to people discussing how perfect it is and showing contempt for everything else in the franchise, and I see that a lot from the "Aliens fans" in particular rivaling Star Wars fandom for how awful and toxic they can be.

Are you talking Facebook/Twitter/etc? It seems to me that here, on AvPGalaxy, so called "Aliens fans" are being pretty civil and adequate with their opinions. Also, from my POV it seems Alien 1979 fans tend to be much more dismissive of Aliens than vice versa

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Jul 15, 2022, 11:18:24 AMEspecially after Superior Firepower and J.W Rinzler's book, my question's just why, what more do we have to uncover here?

I heard people saying the same exact thing when Rinzler's book on Alien was coming out. There's always something new to discover, everything is in presentation

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Jul 15, 2022, 11:18:24 AMI thought that might be the case yes, but I'm just really not interested in a roundtable of what amounts to people discussing how perfect it is and showing contempt for everything else in the franchise, and I see that a lot from the "Aliens fans" in particular rivaling Star Wars fandom for how awful and toxic they can be.

That's not what it's going to be.

BlueMarsalis79

Absolutely not my experience honestly or that of; Clara, Valerie, Rei, Allison, or a number of others that I know.

I am mainly referring to Facebook/Twitter/YouTube/Other although Blu-ray.com takes the cake for the most dismissive manchildren I have ever come across.

And with all due respect as proven by Alien Vault J.W Rinzler was on another level in comparison to Ian Nathan.

As for what it's going to be ultimately we will only know when it's fully formed I suppose.

SiL

I'm curious what they'll come up with. What works about the movie is well documented, what's enduring is well documented, how it was made is well documented.

QuoteWhat do you wish you knew about Aliens, but have never heard about?
Is there really anything left? :laugh:

Wweyland

I am also part of this and honestly, it's an honor!

ModMonkey

ModMonkey

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Jul 14, 2022, 11:08:20 PMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87PsJ76rDO4
Honestly after listening to this here, sounds like it will be a bunch of unpleasant fanwank. "From the people who know the film best."

I find anything suspect that declares anything is the greatest anything of all time. If you want to say you're celebrating Aliens as *one* of the greatest sequels of all time, awesome. I'm right there with you. I find fan hyperbole and absolutes tiresome, though.

Also, what does microscopic focus actually mean in this context. Is this going to be an Aliens version of Room 237? A video version of Aliens Minute? I say this as someone who is working on an oral history of another IP so I'm all for the digging for more stories but like so many others have stated, what is left to genuinely discover on this movie in contrast to the Rinzler book, the de Lauzirika documentary, the commentary track, the Aliens Minute podcast,  and all the other bits and bobs inbetween? It does sound a little fanwanky but...I guess we'll see.

Hopefully it's an interesting approach, there's genuine new info to offer, and it's executed well.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed