A34K Project Update

Started by BlueMarsalis79, Dec 15, 2022, 01:06:01 PM

Author
A34K Project Update (Read 2,534 times)

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Project-A34K:
"I was on hiatus for a while with family issues, but I'm back at it now and firing on all pistons. I'd caution you the weather will probably have improved by the time I'm finished, but it is on the way.

One of the delays was retracing my steps from scratch re: editing. A lot of people mentioned a preference for maintaining the film grain, and upon consideration I agree, so that took a while but I believe it'll pay off.

I'm shopping around for vfx guys to help me update a few shots.

It won't be long now, and I promise it'll be worth the wait!"

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

Really looking forward to this! I second retaining the film grain. Just to confirm, when you say 'update a few shots', do you mean removing the green screen bleed around the rod puppet? *fingers crossed to no edits or changes to the movie itself*

I'd love to make a recommendation though:

Depending upon which cut of the movie you are using, if it is the Assembly Cut, can you fix the audio error on the official blu-ray caused by the seamless branching?

In the scene where Murphy is cleaning the fan and peers into the vent, you should not hear the words "spike? Spikey! What are you you doing down there?" - this line was dubbed into the theatrical cut - it is neither heard in the workprint nor in the assembly cut's first release on dvd (and if you look, you can see his mouth isn't moving) obviously this was overlooked when using two version of the movie on a single disc in the blu-ray release. You should only hear the background music as he peers into the vent. 😁👍

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I can't wait to see the egg in 4k.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

You believe it will be featured?  :laugh:

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Dec 26, 2022, 08:15:28 AMYou believe it will be featured?  :laugh:

Ahh, so is this a fan edit? I thought perhaps it was a 4k upscale / colour regrade only - any chance you can leave the movie in one piece with just the 4k/grain/green screen bleed improvements before chopping anything and release two versions (one for the purists?) I really loved what I saw on your YouTube comparisons 😅

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Every time a film hits a new format it has changes, this will be no different. Endeavouring to be as close to the original shooting script as possible, not including the studio mandated reshoots.

No more a fan edit than the vaunted "Assembly Cut" that contained the wholesale addition of a computer generated Alien, it is neither true to the Threatrical Cut or the Shooting Script but instead it exists in an intermediate state, fan fiction by definition, if you ask me.

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Dec 26, 2022, 01:42:42 PMNo more a fan edit than the vaunted "Assembly Cut" that contained the wholesale addition of a computer generated Alien, it is neither true to the Threatrical Cut or the Shooting Script but instead it exists in an intermediate state, fan fiction by definition, if you ask me.

No disputing that - the assembly cut is a mismatch of ideas rolled into one, and in no universe what the director intended (whilst I'm usually against revisionism, I can forgive the cgi ox-burster since they were recreating an attempted / failed filmed scene which could not be achieved at the time using the trained dog in a Xenomorphs suit - i guess the cgi was a requirement since they couldn't show it scuttling away from the dog's corpse as per the theatrical cut footage)

That being said, the assembly cut tends to be my 'go-to' version over the theatrical cut. My only issue with the official release is the green screen bleed around the rod puppet and the audio error - have been praying someone would fix those, but leave the cuts as per the official releases. Your YouTube videos look awesome - is there no possibility at all that you can apply the upscaling / image enhancements *before* chopping? (Not to take anything away from your envisioned project, I think it sounds really interesting - I'm just sure there's lots of people who'd also love to see an 'official cut' in nicer quality too 😊👍

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Does the person have a website or Twitter, Blue?

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Just a Reddit account that I message sometimes, and the YouTube Channel.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Can you repost the YouTube channel for everyone please :)

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

Ahh, I thought this was BlueMarsalis79's project! (Hence the requests!) 🤣 Was nobody going to correct me?

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I was just going to let it ride.  ;D

Anyone a decent editor or any good with credits VFX? Asking for the author.

He wants some assistance with editing the opening. 

Gieferg

Gieferg

QuoteNo more a fan edit than the vaunted "Assembly Cut" that contained the wholesale addition of a computer generated Alien,

There is only one second of computer generated alien in both cuts of A3 as far as I know.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed