Jean-Pierre Jeunet: Joss Whedon Movies Are for ‘Morons’ and ‘American Geeks’

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Oct 28, 2022, 07:31:47 PM

Author
Jean-Pierre Jeunet: Joss Whedon Movies Are for ‘Morons’ and ‘American Geeks’ (Read 5,765 times)

SiL

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 29, 2022, 01:10:52 AMThey shoulda got Terry Gilliam to direct.  Or Sam Raimi.
I still maintain that if they took the 'Alien3' "wooden planet" script, changed it up so it's not an official capital-A Alien movie and just had a different (new) monster, and let Gilliam direct it, it'd be a hell of a movie.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Xenomrph on Oct 29, 2022, 07:47:35 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 29, 2022, 01:10:52 AMThey shoulda got Terry Gilliam to direct.  Or Sam Raimi.
I still maintain that if they took the 'Alien3' "wooden planet" script, changed it up so it's not an official capital-A Alien movie and just had a different (new) monster, and let Gilliam direct it, it'd be a hell of a movie.

This right here!

T Dog

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Oct 28, 2022, 07:31:47 PM"I hate this kind of movie. It's so silly, so stupid."

Is it wrong of me that I imagine this being said in the thickest and most stereotypical of French accents?

[cancerblack]

Mr. Clemens

"The casting was all wrong!"

Joss, most of the worst stuff in that movie came from Ripley, so just keep on talkin'.  :D

razeak

Lol, but it has some "marvelisms" from Jeunet himself.

ralfy

The last point from the quote is important, i.e., from Scorsese, Coppola, and Scott. It's not just in superhero movies but many Hollywood movies: cardboard cutout characters, lack of character development leading to unsympathetic protagonists, a heavy reliance on spectacle instead of a buildup leading to that, and recently a strong emphasis on forcing woke agendas.

Some of these problems have shown up in some of the recent movies in the Alien and Predator franchises, and it's possible that even if directors and writers try to avoid these issues they show up because producers force changes to stories.

Local Trouble

Quote from: ralfy on Nov 20, 2022, 01:56:04 AMThe last point from the quote is important, i.e., from Scorsese, Coppola, and Scott. It's not just in superhero movies but many Hollywood movies: cardboard cutout characters, lack of character development leading to unsympathetic protagonists, a heavy reliance on spectacle instead of a buildup leading to that, and recently a strong emphasis on forcing woke agendas.

But don't you really like Prometheus and Covenant?

BlueMarsalis79

SiL

SiL

And when you ask people what they mean by "wokism" it basically boils down to "casting people who aren't straight white dudes"

Some Old Dude

Juanet is right, Whedon is a hack. I hated him before it was cool.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: SiL on Nov 20, 2022, 10:02:53 AMAnd when you ask petite what they mean by "wokism" it basically boils down to "casting people who aren't straight white dudes"

inb4 Danny Glover or Carl Weathers gets posted.

SiL

No see they were ok because there's absolutely no political messaging in those films. None.

[cancerblack]

Yes, that's the argument that's always made when they're brought up in the context of Prey being woke, so I inb4'd the inevitable post.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed