Site becomes unreachable off and on for 30 minutes plus each time

Started by whiterabbit, Apr 13, 2018, 12:45:18 AM

Author
Site becomes unreachable off and on for 30 minutes plus each time (Read 2,605 times)

whiterabbit

Hey guys. Is there any reason in particular that the site becomes unreachable for long periods of time? It appears to only affect me, or perhaps others. I figure during backups etc there would be slow downs but it happens randomly across all browsers and computers. Router is from the cable company so yea...but it is only this website. Did all the usual already, reset/flush/voodoo magic.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Darkness

Difficult to say. I get alerted straight away if there's any extended downtime and there hasn't been any problems for a while.

whiterabbit

Ok, that's what I figured. Gotta be something on my end. Thanks Darkness.

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

Happened to me 3 - 4 times this week as well.

Down for about 20 - 30 minutes each time it happens.

whiterabbit

Hey, so I ain't alone here. Actually this past week it hasn't been as bad. Only happened a couple of times and didn't last more than 5 minutes each time. I think it has to do with something browser related. It appears to mostly happen when trying to hit post. Then everything just hangs up.

whiterabbit

So is there no explanation at all for this happening? Nothing on my side that I could do to mitigate it? It's getting real bad again. Sometimes I think people think I'm ignoring them in conversation when it's that I can't access the site for a long time. At which point no one cares anymore. :P

Samhain13

Quote from: whiterabbit on Apr 21, 2018, 05:49:46 AM
I think it has to do with something browser related.

You mean internet browser? If you think it's related to that, have you tried using another one?

I only use torch and never had any issues.

Darkness

I haven't really looked into it because I can access the site just fine throughout the day. I also get instant notifications if it does go down and that hasn't happened in a long time. You'd have to give me specific times and for how long.

whiterabbit

Since they didn't see anything on their side I assumed it must be browser related but I doubt that now. Tried to access the site on multiple browsers, computers and I even got a better modem/router but to no avail. The site still stalls out. The rest of the internet works fine during this AVPG stall. I've tried different version of windows OS as well and if I stall out on one and go and try the other pc I get the same never ending loading of the site on those machines as well. ISP problem?

I'm at a total lost. All the usual fixes don't help either.

Oh, ok, I'll jot the time down next time it happens. It was around 9:15 am HST iirc. Came back after 30 minutes and I was able to use the site. Oh, however It almost always happens when I hit submit post. I would guess about 80% of the time.

Darkness

Darkness

Can you not access the homepage either when this happens?

I don't think it's anything at your end. Could be that your ip address is being temp banned every so often for some reason.

If it happens again, you could still access the site through an online proxy like Tor. But I will run a search on your ip address and see what is triggering it.

whiterabbit

I believe I have tried to access the homepage (https://www.avpgalaxy.net) directly and yea no go either when I did.

Thanks, perhaps it could be settings on my end causing the temp ban too. However if it was a ban I should get a page saying something atune to being temp band right? Instead it just never loads.

Darkness

Darkness

Okay, the good news is I was correct, your ip address is being temp banned by the server. This is a server ban so not related to the forum only. Hence why you'll get no error message. Here's the log:

Jun 10 21:07:25 host lfd[25824]: (CT) IP x.x.x.x (US/United States/cpe-hawaii.res.rr.com) found to have 51 connections - *Blocked in csf* for 1800 secs [CT_LIMIT]
Jun 10 21:37:26 host lfd[27767]: Incoming IP x.x.x.x temporary block removed
Jun 10 21:37:26 host lfd[27767]: Outgoing IP x.x.x.x temporary block removed
Jun 11 14:47:43 host lfd[25961]: (CT) IP x.x.x.x (US/United States/cpe-hawaii.res.rr.com) found to have 55 connections - *Blocked in csf* for 1800 secs [CT_LIMIT]
Jun 11 15:17:44 host lfd[28149]: Incoming IP x.x.x.x temporary block removed
Jun 11 15:17:44 host lfd[28149]: Outgoing IP x.x.x.x temporary block removed

After 30 minutes of the ban, it removes your ip address. According to that, you're being banned because you're making too many connections. Any idea why? You appear to be running Firefox so can't be that - any other software that could be doing this?

I've added your ip address to the whitelist so this shouldn't ever happen again but yeah, I do need to find out why this is happening. If it's happening to you, could be happening to others.

whiterabbit

Ah ok. However I have no idea what software could be doing that. Is there any other sites on the same server as you guys? Probably should at least check to see if I have any pests.

Thanks Darkness.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed