Stranger Things (Netflix Series)

Started by ace3g, Jun 10, 2016, 04:20:03 AM

Author
Stranger Things (Netflix Series) (Read 19,643 times)

JokersWarPig

Did anyone else notice any similarities between the first season and the F.E.A.R games?

Bughunter S. Thomson

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Sep 09, 2016, 12:55:46 PM
Did anyone else notice any similarities between the first season and the F.E.A.R games?

Well, not directly, but FEAR owes a lot to Sadako and the Ring films. One thing I will say is Stranger Things is by no means original, but put together with such love, a respect of the material that it is referencing, and a pleasing way of going against expectations by following tropes and then breaking them.

I am a little concerned about a season 2. I like that this was just something that happened to some select people in a town in the 80's. Although they have already released the episode titles, I got the impression that it was originally written as a stand alone story. I just hope they can maintain the same level of storytelling without things getting ridiculous. I almost feel a completely different set of characters, maybe in the 90's with a similar 90's vibe, might be a better way of keeping the first as a perfect stand alone story.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Not me  :P
Spoiler
I want to see what's happening to Will, learn more about this dimensional rift that is still stuck open, and I want to find out whats going on with the Sheriff and if El is still alive. There is a lot to explore and I'm sure there is more than enough story left to tell with these characters.
[close]

JokersWarPig

Quote from: Bughunter S. Thomson on Sep 09, 2016, 02:43:57 PM
Quote from: JokersWarPig on Sep 09, 2016, 12:55:46 PM

Well, not directly, but FEAR owes a lot to Sadako and the Ring films. One thing I will say is Stranger Things is by no means original, but put together with such love, a respect of the material that it is referencing, and a pleasing way of going against expectations by following tropes and then breaking them.

I didn't mean my original comment to sound like I didn't like the show if it did, I loved the show. After watching it though I noticed certain similarities with F.E.A.R is all. Not in the plot or over the top action, just with certain things.

Alma (child version) and Eleven are really similar. Not that they're motivation is the same, Elle wants to escape what was going on where as Alma wants revenge.
They both have extremely strong and similar psychic abilities, but I don't think Eleven has mastered things like "liquefying" people and psychokinesis.

the Upside Down and the "Alma-verse" are just twisted versions of their respective realities, and both start to bleed over into the actual realities.

The Demogorgan and the Creep are really simmilar in appearance and in how they move. More is known about the Creep as opposed to the Demogorgan, but I've read that some people think the Demogorgan was accidently made by Eleven's abilities, much like how the creatures in F.E.A.R are made from a combination of Alma's abilities and the things she fears.

Creep

Demogorgan

In F.E.A.R Alma's father does the expiriments on her for Armacam/ the US military and in Stranger Things Elevens "papa" does them on her directly for the government/military.

I'm not saying any of Stranger Things is based on things from F.E.A.R, but they are very similar.

ace3g

ace3g

Corporal Hicks

Oh man! I can't wait!

426Buddy

426Buddy

I can't wait either, love this show. :o

KiramidHead

Between this in October, Iron Fist in March, and Punisher later in the year, Netflix is doing good. :)

Perfect-Organism

Very excited.

Rankles75

Rankles75

That's a big bugger...

Godzillakuj94

Muto?

Predaker

Predaker

I just got around to watching this recently and was pleasantly surprised. The only real gripe I have is the creature design turned out to be lackluster towards the end; a missed opportunity IMHO. Overall a great show though and I love the music they used.

Godzillakuj94

Quote from: Predaker on Feb 10, 2017, 10:02:52 PM
I just got around to watching this recently and was pleasantly surprised. The only real gripe I have is the creature design turned out to be lackluster towards the end; a missed opportunity IMHO. Overall a great show though and I love the music they used.
The CG quality also dropped on the monster a lot in the last episode.

ace3g

ace3g

I still need to watch Season 1

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed