What do the owners get out of having this website?

Started by Horhey, Sep 10, 2007, 05:14:04 PM

Author
What do the owners get out of having this website? (Read 6,547 times)

Horhey

Do the owners get anything out of having this website other than just having fun? Just curious. Im pretty sure a company like Sideshowtoy.com would be happy to pay like $15.00 - $20.00 a month to advertise their Alien and Predator merchandise here becouse there's plenty of traffic.

Darkness

Quote from: Horhey on Sep 10, 2007, 05:14:04 PM
Do the owners get anything out of having this website other than just having fun?

I keep wondering that myself.

QuoteJust curious. Im pretty sure a company like Sideshowtoy.com would be happy to pay like $15.00 - $20.00 a month to advertise their Alien and Predator merchandise here becouse there's plenty of traffic.

I believe they've already contacted me in the past (many people want to advertise here) but I'm happy with the GoogleAds.

Master Chief

^ many people contact you and you turn them down?  May I ask why?

Darkness

Yeah, because I've done the ads thing in the past and never make much money from them. Plus I would never give my bank details to any company that wants to advertise here.

gameoverman

Well anyway it's a great website.  Not everything has to be a money making venture.  Sometimes you just follow your passions.

Besides, I bet Darkness would be able to sell this website one day.  There's probably plenty of willing buyers out there.

Caledonia

Very good site, did you code it yourself? Do you know the value of your website+forums?

Hicks

Quote from: Horhey on Sep 10, 2007, 05:14:04 PM
Im pretty sure a company like Sideshowtoy.com would be happy to pay like $15.00 - $20.00 a month to advertise their Alien and Predator merchandise here becouse there's plenty of traffic.

Sideshow doesn't run their affiliate campaign that way. You need to register with them and then post their ads on your site. You get anywhere from 5%-10% commission on any sales referred from your site.

I've made enough to pay for my hosing for about 2 years. It's really not a bad system. Worth considering.

Darkness

Quote from: gameoverman on Sep 11, 2007, 04:52:59 PM
Besides, I bet Darkness would be able to sell this website one day.  There's probably plenty of willing buyers out there.

Can't say I've ever thought about selling it. Didn't think anyone would buy it anyway.

Quote from: Caledonia on Sep 11, 2007, 05:29:41 PM
Very good site, did you code it yourself? Do you know the value of your website+forums?

Forum platform is SMF. A lot of stuff on the main site, I code by myself though.

Quote from: Hicks on Sep 11, 2007, 05:56:10 PM
Sideshow doesn't run their affiliate campaign that way. You need to register with them and then post their ads on your site. You get anywhere from 5%-10% commission on any sales referred from your site.

I've made enough to pay for my hosing for about 2 years. It's really not a bad system. Worth considering.

Yeah, I did something like that with Amazon once and I think I only ever referred one person. The problem with those sorts of ads is that they rely on people buying something from the company. I don't expect that to happen frequently.

Hicks

Quote from: Darkness on Sep 12, 2007, 05:18:10 PM
Can't say I've ever thought about selling it. Didn't think anyone would buy it anyway.

You'd be surprised. I was offered a decent sum for AXP about a year and a half ago. Obviously I declined. ;)

Quote from: Darkness on Sep 12, 2007, 05:18:10 PMYeah, I did something like that with Amazon once and I think I only ever referred one person. The problem with those sorts of ads is that they rely on people buying something from the company. I don't expect that to happen frequently.

Again you'd be surprised. SST has a pretty good system. I was using Amazon first couple years I had AXP and I agree, it was total rubbish. But if the Google ads are working for you, don't fix what ain't broken. ;)

Caledonia

Due to it's popularity this site could sell for a decent price, I have a friend who was webmaster of ffextreme.com and he sold it for around $12,000 and that was less popular than this site. There are people who will always buy a website not always for content but popularity. You'd get a big chunk for this site me thinks.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed