Alien TV Series From Noah Hawley and Ridley Scott CONFIRMED

Started by Nukiemorph, Dec 10, 2020, 11:03:29 PM

Author
Alien TV Series From Noah Hawley and Ridley Scott CONFIRMED (Read 206,162 times)

Kimarhi

I imagine the rich and powerful would be off planet as soon as nightmare bugs eating people became a reality.  But that doesn't really mean anything again, militarily. 

You are also assuming the Aliens would make a point out of killing the power grids, and f**king around with sewage and water.  We don't even know if the Aliens think strategically and even if they did, just drop a battalion of combat MPs around those points after you knew the Aliens were targeting them and rock on. 

Also in the future homes might be run more efficiently with their own powercells (like tesla) or solar energy etc so a knock out of people still on a grid might not have the same influence that it would right now.  I mean our government will pay the difference of people going solar because the extra energy is actually a relief to the grid.  I can see it taking off in the future. 

Also if you nuke something you are going to have to wait for fallout to come back down to live there again.  I only see nukes if they military truly thought they had no hope of winning.   

Local Trouble

Quote from: SiL on Jan 22, 2022, 09:44:11 PM
Quote from: Kimarhi on Jan 22, 2022, 09:30:11 PM
Acid is kind of bullshit honestly on a terrestrial planet.  If you can smoke the Alien from five hundred yards out as its trying to get you, then it is absolutely no threat.  Let it eat a hole into the earth.  Big deal. 

The Alien isn't going to rush you at 500 yards in an open field. It's going to stay covered and sneak from your sewers, in your subways, from the maintenance access, from basements.

They're not as sneaky as they think they are if the military is equipped with motion trackers.  And they're even less of a threat to automated sentry guns.

SiL

SiL

What matters militarily also doesn't really mean anything to how civilians would react. Nobody at any point is doubting that the military could wipe Aliens out. The question is at what cost.

QuoteYou are also assuming the Aliens would make a point out of killing the power grids, and f**king around with sewage and water.
No, I'm just going by how that's what they always do in the stories. It's not that they necessarily understand the strategic significance of these locations, they just like building nests in them. Every film shows them setting up shop in reactors, in sewers, in basements, in the bowels of ships.

Quotejust drop a battalion of combat MPs around those points after you knew the Aliens were targeting them and rock on.
Again you're missing the point that I am, and always have been, discussing a situation where the Aliens have already set in.

The parasitic nature of the Alien with a long gestation period is actually what made them a threat to earth, but everything post - AvP has turned them into microwave popcorn that would quickly be identified and killed.

In their current form, no, I don't see any world ending threat.

But if you have an infected population that's slow to gestate and able to move globally at speed, you get small, easy to miss pockets of Aliens establishing themselves everywhere very quickly. By the time those pockets get big enough to raise concern, they're already dug in.

That's the dangerous scenario, and one that no amount of military might is going to make easy or convenient work of. The analogy that's usually used is a cancerous growth. By the time it causes symptoms, it's grown too big to safely remove.

Totally we can just blow them up. We'll just f**k ourselves over in the process.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 22, 2022, 11:27:27 PM
Quote from: SiL on Jan 22, 2022, 09:44:11 PM
Quote from: Kimarhi on Jan 22, 2022, 09:30:11 PM
Acid is kind of bullshit honestly on a terrestrial planet.  If you can smoke the Alien from five hundred yards out as its trying to get you, then it is absolutely no threat.  Let it eat a hole into the earth.  Big deal. 

The Alien isn't going to rush you at 500 yards in an open field. It's going to stay covered and sneak from your sewers, in your subways, from the maintenance access, from basements.

They're not as sneaky as they think they are if the military is equipped with motion trackers.  And they're even less of a threat to automated sentry guns.
I remember the motion trackers being pretty useless at actually telling the Marines where the Aliens were until they were almost literally falling on them. And the guns ran dry with minimal casualties.

Kimarhi

Mass abductions aren't going to go under anybody's radar.

The Aliens biggest weakness is they have to snatch people to reproduce.  If they reproduce in any other way besides parasitically it would be an entirely different story.  That is why Gibson's Aliens were the most dangerous.  They took the spore out of the egg.  With the parasitical nature of the Alien, it would be pretty easy for anybody to figure out where they are.  Fifteen people disappeared out of a town of 1000?  Seems sus.  Even  bigger populations where the numbers might be missed at first will have a quicker word of mouth response to the goings on.  Take fifteen people out of a housing structure that holds 300, then you know that shit is going to be all over social media and the news. 

They infest ships because they are in ships in the movies....  They left the power on at Hadley's until they came after the Marines.  Which means the power was running the entire time they snatched all the other colonist.  One could argue they knocked the power out coming after the Marines simply by trashing everything on their new way to them instead of any deliberate action.

I guess the point I would make is that I don't think the Earth would be on sleep walk status while the threat developed.  I think world governments would be all over it pretty quickly. 

Maybe if a sizeable force somehow made it earthside all at once and in multiple places. 

Don't look up is accurate, but its more true of the human population when we don't think there is a threat.  Humans mobilize pretty quickly when the threat is active. 

SiL

SiL

QuoteThey left the power on at Hadley's until they came after the Marines.  Which means the power was running the entire time they snatched all the other colonist.  One could argue they knocked the power out coming after the Marines simply by trashing everything on their new way to them instead of any deliberate action.
I never said the Aliens themselves would take out those resources themselves? I even said I don't think they nest there because they know the significance. I don't understand what you're getting at here. The point is that that's where you'll find the Aliens because that's where they always end up.

The last two years have shown that even an active, quantifiable threat is not enough to spur us all into action.

You'll have governments downplaying their infestations to save face; civilians saying it's a hoax, or not that bad, or a conspiracy; cultists helping the spread.

And not to forget all the normal shit we deal with - wars, terrorism, political posturing, economic games, blame shifting, and on and on.

You would absolutely have people ignoring the seriousness until a facehugger was on them, and even then they'd say they weren't actually impregnated  ::)

Our capability to deal with a problem, and us actually doing so, are so detached from each other it's not funny any more.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

QuoteHumans can survive without that.  Most of that shit is convenience.  We did well enough without all that stuff for most of our existence.  If you are in the military then you've experienced life without it in present times.  Not saying it wouldn't be tough, but the Aliens pushing humanity into full retreat mode, don't see it.

No, most of "that shit" is not for "convenience". You lose sewerage, refrigeration and potable water in a densely populated city and disease will set in very quickly. And no, we didn't do very well without "that stuff" for most of our existence. Just one example, during the hundred years war entire armies and cities were decimated due to lack of basic sanitation.

Anyway, weren't you deployed to Somalia or some other African shithole once? You should know all about such stuff.  :P

SiL

To be fair, humanity would live. Just billions of individuals would die.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

True, the Black Death killed off more than a third of Europe's population in the fourteenth century. The hundred year war and severe climatical changes didn't help either. And then hundreds of thousands died of starvation because there was no-one left to tend the fields anymore. Took more than four hundred years for Europe's  population to recover, but here we are, still around today.  ;D

Kradan

Quote from: SiL on Jan 23, 2022, 12:54:58 PM
To be fair, humanity would live. Just billions of individuals would die.

Such a relief, thanks

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jan 23, 2022, 12:40:56 PM
QuoteHumans can survive without that.  Most of that shit is convenience.  We did well enough without all that stuff for most of our existence.  If you are in the military then you've experienced life without it in present times.  Not saying it wouldn't be tough, but the Aliens pushing humanity into full retreat mode, don't see it.

No, most of "that shit" is not for "convenience". You lose sewerage, refrigeration and potable water in a densely populated city and disease will set in very quickly. And no, we didn't do very well without "that stuff" for most of our existence. Just one example, during the hundred years war entire armies and cities were decimated due to lack of basic sanitation.

Anyway, weren't you deployed to Somalia or some other African shithole once? You should know all about such stuff.  :P

I was, and people were doing just fine there.  It would be harder for people in richer countries to survive, especially bigger cities like NYC or LA because people have no experience surviving without said functions, but there are plenty of people doing it worldwide today and have been doing it for generations that don't even have said infrastructure in place to begin with. 

It'd be 120 degrees outside and you have people working like it was a pleasant spring day in Kansas and this was in the desert and they were going back to their mud shacks with no source of electricity or water. 

Humanity is harder than woodpecker lips when it has to be. 

QuoteThe last two years have shown that even an active, quantifiable threat is not enough to spur us all into action.] The last two years have shown that even an active, quantifiable threat is not enough to spur us all into action.
]

There have been no threats with 8' tall monsters eating people's faces.  Enviromental threats are different just because they do mass damage, at random times, over a wide area.  Something the Aliens couldn't do without getting Arty dropped on them from heaven. 

Unless Jockey ships showed up with the Engineers dropping them en masse over major population centers, I just don't see it. 

BUT I would love to see it in a movie.  Either with the gradual insurgent infestation, or the mass wave infestation. 

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

QuoteI was, and people were doing just fine there.  It would be harder for people in richer countries to survive, especially bigger cities like NYC or LA because people have no experience surviving without said functions, but there are plenty of people doing it worldwide today and have been doing it for generations that don't even have said infrastructure in place to begin with.

Sure, if they have been living like that for a very long time they would know not to drink stagnant water or piss or shit upstream from a village. They would also know how to preserve food and prevent it from spoiling. Their constitutions would also be hardened in comparison to yours - ever tried drinking their water without boiling it first or adding purification tablets? Or eating raw salads or vegetables grown there?

That happens in NYC or London what are the people going to drink? Thames and Hudson river water clogged with sewerage overflow? Where is the food going to come from without the necessary infrastructure?

Btw. Miss your old army stories. You need to set up a "Wonderful Life" thread. :P

Kimarhi

I don't think they don't boil their water either.

BUT I will say that there was some natural streams and water sources around where they were at, so naturally if you lived in a place like Phoenix or Tuscon where water was limited then you would have it rough if the aliens did hit the infrastructure because there would be no place for that many people to get fresh water.

I'm not saying there would be NO casualties or that humanity wouldn't be tested, I just don't think humanity would ever get overrun. 

SiL

They don't need to get overrun, they just need to get to a point where getting rid of the Aliens while trying to stay does more damage than leaving, wasting them from a distance, and trying again.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

So I happened to find a Tweet referring to the Alien series that had a "Media not displayed: The image has been removed in response to a report from the copyright holder." message on it, and I was able to access a cached version of the Tweet containing the since-removed image, which wound up being a pre-production document from the series (it's dated 11-11-21). I don't think I should directly post the image directly on here, since it has some actual contact info on it that probably shouldn't be directly out in the open (and it's already been flagged/removed the once on Twitter), but there are a couple interesting tidbits on it that I don't think we knew before.

There's a September 2022 production status listed (which is later than the Spring shoot we've been operating under the assumption of based on an interview with Hawley last year), though I'm not sure if that's referring to the full on start of production, or just specifically the particular Thailand/Eastern Europe stuff being reported on this sheet.

The little plot synopsis/character blurb matches everything that AVPG has already shared, but with a few additional details about Hermit that I don't think we've covered yet: He's unsatisfied in his current job as a medic for Prodigy Tactical Response, he had dreams of returning to medical school to fulfill a promise he made to his dying father that he's never been able to fulfill, and it seems that he is a fan of baseball and has revered players of the sport as his heroes.

Also, along with Ridley Scott, there are a couple additional producers listed: Jack Glascott from Ridley Scott's Scott Free Productions, and Caitlin Bruner from Noah Hawley's 26 Keys Productions. Noah Hawley is also listed as both writer and director on this document.

Kradan

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed