Predator - Stalking Shadows by James A Moore

Started by felix, Sep 30, 2019, 03:14:27 AM

Author
Predator - Stalking Shadows by James A Moore (Read 37,894 times)

Corporal Hicks

To be fair, it doesn't seem to short it out as badly as in Predator, but it is certainly not working flawlessly. It was a problem I had with Hunters and Hunted and Jim said he liked to envision they'd upgraded the cloak so water wouldn't affect it as much.

I'm about 140 pages into it. I'm enjoyed it but
Spoiler
I just wish there was more Dutch. Too much time is being spent with Devlin, and he's still playing catch-up with the reader.
[close]

Kradan

Spoiler
Dutch is in there !? HOLY SHIT !
[close]

Katanu

Katanu

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 20, 2020, 07:34:25 AM
My copy should be arriving today!

Quote from: Katanu on May 20, 2020, 12:32:34 AMWhile I'm really loving the book so far, there's one thing that kind of annoys me a little: The Predator's cloaking device working just fine in the rain. This was also a minor issue in Moore's last Predator book.

Perhaps they've just upgraded it?

Come to think of it, are there any future-set stories where it's stated as being affected by water? I don't recall it ever being addressed in Forever Midnight, Flesh and Blood or the Rage War novels, but I could be wrong.

Perhaps, that's one way to explain it.
But the chapter in question takes place in 2000. It's not that far from Predator 2. Wolf's cloaking device was affected by water in AvP-R, that takes place in 2004. And probably other tales around that time had the Predator's cloaking device being affected by water, I honestly can't remember right now, I would have to check. Anyway, like I said, it's no big deal, just a minor issue.

Samhain13

I think in Hunters And Hunted the cloaking works fine in the rain too during a scene.

Corporal Hicks

Spoiler
I'm about 2/3s of the way through now and Devlin has finally been brought up to speed. Hope these last 100 pages take it up a notch or two. Also some hinky promotions going on in this. Private to Sergeant, and then Sarge to Captain.
[close]

Quote from: Samhain13 on May 20, 2020, 09:50:01 PM
I think in Hunters And Hunted the cloaking works fine in the rain too during a scene.

It did. It was my only real nerd complaint of the book.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Admittedly I'm only one (fairly long) chapter in so far but to be brutally honest I'm really not enjoying this.

Far too much dumb shit has annoyed me already. For instance:
Spoiler
  • If you're going to recreate scenes from one of the movies, for f*ck's sake make them match the movie. The opening sequence set during and immediately after the ending of Predator 2 is littered with inconsistencies. Most glaringly, instead of emerging from a tunnel in an apparently deserted area of town, we've got the Predators' ship exploding out of the ground in the middle of a neighbourhood, leaving a massive crater, demolishing buildings and killing scores of innocent bystanders. (Aside from not matching the film, this doesn't gel with the Predators' established M.O. of only killing worthy adversaries and staying hidden as much as possible either.) There are also said to be dozens more bodies down in the crater, implied to be mutilated Predator victims, yet we never see any evidence of these in the movie. And Garber watches Harrigan rise from the ashes on the surface outside when this happens deep underground long before Garber arrives on the scene in the film. Incorporating movie scenes and getting them wrong like this has been a pet peeve of mine since River of Pain, and this book's all over it. All you'd need to do is watch the scene in question, even once, and you'd catch most of these.
  • The inclusion of Sean Keyes and Dutch has thus far felt entirely tenuous. Keyes, Jr. in particular makes no sense being around at the end of P2. He's said to be the Regional Director of OWLF, yet if the actor's age is even remotely accurate to his character he'd be in his mid-20s at the time. Regional Director at that age? Moreover, the film gives the distinct impression OWLF is a small, clandestine unit operating off the books, so it seems highly improbable it would even have Regional Directors. Is that not a bit... official?
  • Similarly, Dutch's appearance at the scene doesn't make a whole bunch of sense, at least not the way it's portrayed in the book. He basically steals an OWLF chopper from a government building to get there instead of just, you know, driving. Garber even flies it for him. And no one cares.
  • Considering an entire OWLF team just got massacred by one of the creatures, it doesn't make a lick of sense that Keyes recruits just one soldier for protection when he goes to investigate a potential Predator encounter elsewhere in the city. If OWLF can boss the military around like that, why not take the entire unit?
  • And if OWLF can boss the military around like that, why do Garber and the other surviving agents run off at the end of Predator 2 as soon as the cops show up?
[close]

I really hope this picks up once it moves on to more original material because I quite like the concept of following one soldier over several years as he goes through assignments around the world and climbs the ranks, uncovering more about the Predators as he goes. But so far this novel has read like bad fanfic.

Voodoo Magic

Mine still hasn't shipped yet from Amazon.

That's what I get for letting my Prime membership run out I guess. 
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

SuperiorIronman

Quote from: Katanu on May 20, 2020, 02:56:12 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 20, 2020, 07:34:25 AM
My copy should be arriving today!

Quote from: Katanu on May 20, 2020, 12:32:34 AMWhile I'm really loving the book so far, there's one thing that kind of annoys me a little: The Predator's cloaking device working just fine in the rain. This was also a minor issue in Moore's last Predator book.

Perhaps they've just upgraded it?

Come to think of it, are there any future-set stories where it's stated as being affected by water? I don't recall it ever being addressed in Forever Midnight, Flesh and Blood or the Rage War novels, but I could be wrong.

Perhaps, that's one way to explain it.
But the chapter in question takes place in 2000. It's not that far from Predator 2. Wolf's cloaking device was affected by water in AvP-R, that takes place in 2004. And probably other tales around that time had the Predator's cloaking device being affected by water, I honestly can't remember right now, I would have to check. Anyway, like I said, it's no big deal, just a minor issue.

Haven't got my copy yet but it could be explained by different models of the device being affected in different capacity. So different Predators will have slightly different responses to the elements considering the tech. In AVP the Predator's cloaks work fine in the snow and so we could assume the tech has gotten better and just that not all Predators have the modern tech. I believe Fugitive was also being coated in blood and it didn't affect his cloak aside from his eyes being visible so if his cloak was affected it's just not in such extreme cases as Jungle Hunter short-circuiting.

HuDaFuK

I'm a bit further in now and I've started enjoying it more. It's still not a particularly remarkable read thus far but it's settled down into an entertaining time-passer.

I expect it'll be picked up on later, but I'm pretty sure the unnamed government suit whose goons Devlin just squared off with was
Spoiler
Traeger.
[close]

Corporal Hicks

Seems to be
Spoiler
they're supposed to be Stargazer.
[close]

PAS Spinelli

Yo guys, can someone tell me if the book fixes the stuff that The Predator did? undo the autism retcons and stuff

Kradan

I guess it just won't be ever mentioned in any Predator-related media

Katanu

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on May 22, 2020, 05:11:24 PM
Yo guys, can someone tell me if the book fixes the stuff that The Predator did? undo the autism retcons and stuff
It's set before The Predator. I'm halfway in and so far no mention of DNA harvesting or any of that crap.

Voodoo Magic

I'm waiting for the children's series of novels to be released.

Rory McKenna and his Magical World of Predator Hunters

Kradan

Kradan

I wouldn't mind that. I mean, we've already got Alien books for kids, haven't we ?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed