Following in the footsteps of TTCM : The Beginning, Hills have Eyes 2 ??

Started by stickaround, Jul 20, 2007, 08:40:07 PM

Author
Following in the footsteps of TTCM : The Beginning, Hills have Eyes 2 ?? (Read 13,976 times)

stickaround

There has been much said for and against AvP2 !!! Pesonally i can't imagine not enjoying a film with aliens and preds in and am looking forward to it regardless of the lack of info.

What it does seem like to me though is that AvP2 is going along the same lines as Texas Chainsaw Massacre : The Beginning and Hills Have Eyes 2, namely :

- Smaller budget than previous film
- Lesser known actors than previous film
- Less high profile
- Smaller box office

Now this isn't a dig at the film and where it's at, just an observation ! Any thoughts ??

jimmylace

I think that point is moot given the change in rating and tone. that really is a big plus no matter which way you cut it...

Pvt. Hicks

TCM: Beginning was "eh" and HHE2 was a horribly made film.

stickaround

I didn't mean following the same rating, but that the above sequels were inferior in budget, advertising etc than the first films, which seems to be the case with AvP2 ?

Pvt. Hicks

I would really really really appreciate a confirmation on a budget here.

fluxcap

The Hills Have Eyes 2 was horrible, I never bothered with the Texas Chainsaw prequel cause I've heard its "meh."

superunknown

I didn't see THHE2 because it looked like total trash.

Danger Close

I just watched THHE 2 and.... meh. It had a cool idea, but it was too predictable and boring. I find that a lot these days, movies have a cool idea but fail to actually build on it, they just innovate enough to make the movie seem different than the first. In the TCM 2 they could have had a young leatherface throughout the whole movie, but they only used that to get us in the seats. Then it flashed forward to him older and the movie became a repeat of the first.

Pvt. Hicks

echobbase79

I enjoyed THHE2 pretty good. I could've done without the pointless rape scene, but it had some good atmosphere and gore.

TCM: Beginning was very done I thought. Much better than the overrated remake.

Danger Close

The rape scene was important in the first one to show how brutal they were, in the 2nd one it's like they put it in there just to because they could.

echobbase79

Quote from: Fawdrey on Jul 20, 2007, 10:16:55 PM
The rape scene was important in the first one to show how brutal they were, in the 2nd one it's like they put it in there just to because they could.

Very well put.

jimmylace

Quote from: stickaround on Jul 20, 2007, 09:28:59 PM
I didn't mean following the same rating, but that the above sequels were inferior in budget, advertising etc than the first films, which seems to be the case with AvP2 ?

I know. What I meant was that, unlike those sequels, a lower budget and less advertising doesn't have the same ramifications for AvP2; which, despite the studio line, can still be a movie that surpasses expectation and be better than its predecessor.

Docta Jekyll

Just so you know, TCM: The Beginning had a higher budget then the first film, TCM had a budget of 9 million, while The Beginning was made for 16 million, check boxofficemojo. HHE 2 was made for the same amount as the first I believe, 15 million.

I thought The Beginning was far superior to TCM.

I think Aliens vs Predator will be superior to the first though, mostly because it doesnt seem like its going to have much of a connection to it, as Jeff(or is it John?) Habberstad said, 'the film can absolutely stand on its own, but also continues the story of the first film', or something like that. I think that means we will be getting something a bit like Evil Dead 2, where its sort of a sequel, but because of the way the opening is done, you will not need to see the first film, allowing this to work as a stand alone film

Predalienslayer

What do you mean by "lesser known actors"?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed