AvPGalaxy Podcast #29 - Alien: Paradise Lost

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 06, 2015, 09:02:06 AM

Author
AvPGalaxy Podcast #29 - Alien: Paradise Lost (Read 16,615 times)

Corporal Hicks

Spaiht's script was a far more solid foundation than Lindelof's botch job. It wasn't without some issues that needed polishing but it was actually coherent and the characters, as HuDa said, actually make decisions that suit their character.

Personally I would have changed some aspects to not have it lead directly into Alien - so not be set on LV426 and not have the crashed ship be the Derelict but otherwise it was just tidying, I felt, that was needed.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 14, 2015, 07:57:57 AM
I'd rather they just ignore Alien 3 and Resurrection. Things like memory implants, dreams, etc are just pathetic IMHO and far more of a cop-out. Unfortunately it does actually make a lot of sense for it to be a hyperspace dream because of things like Prometheus and the Alien novelization. I would just hate it.

On that.. we agree.  ;D

whiterabbit

I can't fathom how Spaiht's script was better. His script made "super" aliens into minor nuisances. So what if the script was much more coherent, that doesn't mean it would have been a good idea to have made that movie instead.

Corporal Hicks

It needed polishing. We say it every single time it comes up. But a script where the story is coherent and the characters motivations are understand make an infinitely better foundation.

XenoHunter99

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 15, 2015, 09:41:11 PM
It needed polishing. We say it every single time it comes up. But a script where the story is coherent and the characters motivations are understand make an infinitely better foundation.

Sorry, Hicks. This is an argument that neither ends nor makes progress. On the one hand, the Spaihts script seems more coherent than Lindelof's mess. On the other, the Spaihts script has its share of dumb/bad/inexplicable elements that may or may not have been fixed before or during filming. You and others seem sure that the problems with the Spaihts script would have been fixed in a satisfying way. Yet, Scott was very happy to make Lindelof's mess. So, there is every reason to think he might have changed things in a way that would have made a film using the Spaihts script worse than the script itself suggests. But we will still never know as the film from the Spaihts script was never made.

PRJ_since1990

Quote from: XenoHunter99 on Oct 15, 2015, 10:44:13 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 15, 2015, 09:41:11 PM

Sorry, Hicks. This is an argument that neither ends nor makes progress. On the one hand, the Spaihts script seems more coherent than Lindelof's mess. On the other, the Spaihts script has its share of dumb/bad/inexplicable elements that may or may not have been fixed before or during filming. You and others seem sure that the problems with the Spaihts script would have been fixed in a satisfying way. Yet, Scott was very happy to make Lindelof's mess. So, there is every reason to think he might have changed things in a way that would have made a film using the Spaihts script worse than the script itself suggests. But we will still never know as the film from the Spaihts script was never made.

I have read the synopsis of the Spaihts script and I generally liked it. Both would be flawed to an extent. But I generally agree it really comes down to a personal preference. It's like Jurassic Park movie vs the novel. They are different in many ways, some are more appealing than others. The movie is loosely based on the book's main points, but is quite different, even between the character's journeys.

One thought: Scott is privy to knowledge from FOX as to what they want to do with the franchise. It is perfectly plausible to believe that he made Prometheus, flawed and all, with full knowledge that he would do sequel movies, parallel to ALIEN or prequel(s), and further explain the plot holes, decisions and events that unfolded in the film. Remember, FOX holds the rights so any interviews they do are still subject to what they've given rights to discuss. 

Can't wait for the next podcast. I feel like you've got one for each movie's alternate, runner-up scripts.

oduodu

Quote from: PRJ_since1990 on Oct 16, 2015, 02:06:09 AM

One thought: Scott is privy to knowledge from FOX as to what they want to do with the franchise.

I thought Ridley ultimately decided what happens to the franchise ??

Corporal Hicks

Sorry, Hicks. This is an argument that neither ends nor makes progress. On the one hand, the Spaihts script seems more coherent than Lindelof's mess. On the other, the Spaihts script has its share of dumb/bad/inexplicable elements that may or may not have been fixed before or during filming. You and others seem sure that the problems with the Spaihts script would have been fixed in a satisfying way.

Absolutely! We'll never know if they would have been fixed in a satisfying way and like you say, we'll never know. However, I do believe that the stuff that needed fixing in Spaiht's draft wasn't as bad or numerous as the what needed fixing in the finished film. I firmly believe that Spaiht's draft would still make a more entertaining film if it was filmed as is than what we got. But that's my opinion.

Can't wait for the next podcast. I feel like you've got one for each movie's alternate, runner-up scripts.

We intend to go back and look at the various drafts that never got made. There's a goldmine in Alien 3 to be had! Glad you're enjoying.

Quote from: oduodu on Oct 16, 2015, 03:30:48 AM

One thought: Scott is privy to knowledge from FOX as to what they want to do with the franchise.

I thought Ridley ultimately decided what happens to the franchise ??

He may be the guiding hand at the minute but it's not his franchise.

redalert51

Thank you , for the AVPGalaxy Podcasts , I been a subscriber since episode 01 .   

oduodu

Yes the podcasts rock. The one with charles de laurizika was really great.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed