So, is the 'Black Goo' basicallly a 'MacGuffin'...?

Started by Glaive, May 06, 2017, 02:54:27 PM

Author
So, is the 'Black Goo' basicallly a 'MacGuffin'...? (Read 1,743 times)

Glaive

...to link the original 'ALIEN ' to 'PROMETHEUS'?

ie: to bring the 'fossilised' Space Jockey into being only a few decades old.

Bet this has already been talked about, sorry.

Xenomorphine

A plot device? Sure... It was only ever a plot device.

In the original script, before they changed it, I think it was a mass of scarab-like insects, which would have had obvious Egyptian mythological links.

Citadel

Quote from: Xenomorphine on May 06, 2017, 03:10:31 PM
A plot device? Sure... It was only ever a plot device.

In the original script, before they changed it, I think it was a mass of scarab-like insects, which would have had obvious Egyptian mythological links.
I'm glad they went with the goo.

Glaive

No, I mean SPECIFALLY to bring the original 'Space Jockey' as being only 10-15 years old as it is seen in ALIEN, as opposed to thousands as summized by Dallas...So the original 'Juggernaut' can be a part of this time-line without resorting to time-travel or other shenanigans...

...The 'Swiss-Army Knife' other uses of the 'goo' are merely a by-product in the writer's minds.

The way the Engineers look in the Arena I think are a strong factor.

Predaker

Quote from: Glaive on May 06, 2017, 04:07:48 PM
No, I mean SPECIFALLY to bring the original 'Space Jockey' as being only 10-15 years old as it is seen in ALIEN, as opposed to thousands as summized by Dallas...So the original 'Juggernaut' can be a part of this time-line without resorting to time-travel or other shenanigans...

...The 'Swiss-Army Knife' other uses of the 'goo' are merely a by-product in the writer's minds.

The way the Engineers look in the Arena I think are a strong factor.

They could end up doing something like that or nothing at all, while retconning the jockey to only being about 20 years old or less. It wasn't the explicit purpose of using it to retcon the jockey that lead to its introduction though.

The Cruentus

Well according to Hicks and his review,
Spoiler
the movie doesn't actually state that David created the Derelict Aliens, its left ambiguous, he did create the Covenant variant though. So at the moment, contuinity is not necessarily messed up (or at least any worse than it worse)
[close]

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: The Cruentus on May 07, 2017, 12:33:35 PM
Spoiler
the movie doesn't actually state that David created the Derelict Aliens, its left ambiguous, he did create the Covenant variant though. So at the moment, contuinity is not necessarily messed up (or at least any worse than it worse)
[close]
Yeah, and Prometheus doesn't actually state that the Space Jockey was an Engineer either...

The Cruentus

Quote from: Omegamorph on May 07, 2017, 12:37:13 PM
Quote from: The Cruentus on May 07, 2017, 12:33:35 PM
Spoiler
[close]
Yeah, and Prometheus doesn't actually state that the Space Jockey was an Engineer either...

No, Ridley Scott did...at least according to folks around here.

Infected

Its a fossilized cock!!!!!

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: The Cruentus on May 07, 2017, 12:38:52 PM
the point being that both films imply exactly what they want to imply

Spoiler
with David being the creator of the Aliens... the 're-creation' thing is just wishful thinking in the same way the Space Jockey =/= Engineers theory is wishful thinking
[close]

The Cruentus

Quote from: Omegamorph on May 07, 2017, 01:30:01 PM

Spoiler
with David being the creator of the Aliens... the 're-creation' thing is just wishful thinking in the same way the Space Jockey =/= Engineers theory is wishful thinking
[close]

I get what you mean and perhaps it is wishful thinking but the SJ = Engineer was more pointed out, with Ridley even saying its the same species.
Spoiler
David's version has not been said by Ridley to be the creator of the Xenomorphs we know, only the Xenomorphs of Covenant. Its still ambiguous and considering the variations of the bio-weapons as well as the ancient murals, there is merit to it.
[close]

Predaker

Quote from: The Cruentus on May 07, 2017, 01:39:39 PM
Quote from: Omegamorph on May 07, 2017, 01:30:01 PM

Spoiler
[close]

I get what you mean and perhaps it is wishful thinking but the SJ = Engineer was more pointed out, with Ridley even saying its the same species.
Spoiler
David's version has not been said by Ridley to be the creator of the Xenomorphs we know, only the Xenomorphs of Covenant. Its still ambiguous and considering the variations of the bio-weapons as well as the ancient murals, there is merit to it.
[close]

Spoiler
David only being the creator of the Covenant Aliens would be way too much of a coincidence and yes, the filmmakers have said one of the questions they wanted to answer in Covenant was the origin of the Alien. So David is the creator.
[close]

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

"Witness the creation of fear"...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed