Alien: Cold Forge and Alien: Into Charybdis: What next?

Started by DavidIsDaddy, Oct 19, 2022, 02:06:21 PM

Author
Alien: Cold Forge and Alien: Into Charybdis: What next? (Read 1,796 times)

DavidIsDaddy

As a guest, you cannot see attachments. Please login.

So I just finished Alex White's two novels "Alien: The Cold Forge" and "Into Charybdis" and I understand that the story is...continued...somewhat in "Alien: Colony War"?

But I also want to read "Phalanx" as well, because that seems interesting to me.

Basically, I guess I'm asking if there's a flow chart or some infographics on what novels link to what, and what should be read if there's an order to it?

Nightmare Asylum

There's a small nod to The Cold Forge in Phalanx. I can't personally speak to Colony War, as I haven't read that one, but based on the synopsis it seems to follow on from the plot threads explored in Alex White's two novels.

I do hope Alex White gets a third book themselves, at some point, to more directly follow on from The Cold Forge and Into Charybdis, since I really loved both of those.

xShadowFoxX

I loved both books, minus the villains. If White ever writes a third Alien book, he should tone down the over the top nature of his villains.

In terms of this sort of continuity, after reading Colony War and Inferno's Fall, they do feel like semi-sequels to those aforementioned because they take place some time after and even make references to those stories as well as bringing characters back. It's to the point that it does feel like it's certainly building up to something big, which I'm kind of fine with, but it could be done better because Colony War was essentially the lowest point imo.

Corporal Hicks

I would disagree with ShadowFox re: the villains as Alex White's villains are just delicious. They're the love to hate them kind of characters. I'd love to see Alex come back for a third book too.

As Shadow says though, the next books after these in terms of continuity are Alien: Colony War, Alien: Inferno's Fall and then early next year we should be getting Alien: Enemy of My Enemy, all of which form a trilogy of sorts that continue from the events set in motion by Alex's books.

Unfortunately, Colony War is one of the worse Alien books I've ever read and made me so angry. That book offended me. Inferno's Fall was much better though, a very solid novel with some of Alien's best character and world-building.

Kradan

I would agree that their villains are over-the-top and somewhat unbelievable in comparision to the world they exist in. Also, while I enjoyed Sudler as a vllain, evil lady from Into Charybdis felt a bit like a case of "Oh, we're doing this again, aren't we ?"

xShadowFoxX

We need more Alex White Alien books. I love his style.

On the point, I am actually pretty curious to what's coming next.

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: Kradan on Oct 31, 2022, 12:12:52 PMI would agree that their villains are over-the-top and somewhat unbelievable in comparision to the world they exist in. Also, while I enjoyed Sudler as a vllain, evil lady from Into Charybdis felt a bit like a case of "Oh, we're doing this again, aren't we ?"

I actually totally agree, and actually take umbrage with the idea of malicious individuals being the source of the issues people face, rather than the institution. 

Wweyland

Another Facebook Meme campaign should be next, to get another book going

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed