Free League Publishing Announce Alien: The Roleplaying Game

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 26, 2019, 05:35:38 PM

Author
Free League Publishing Announce Alien: The Roleplaying Game (Read 159,485 times)

BlueMarsalis79

Yeah I think this might have garnered an initial overreaction, it's still a far cry from the endlessly moustache twirling, gyrocopter escaping on depiction we see in Resistance, and Rescue and also AVP 2010.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Trash Queen on May 17, 2021, 09:52:12 PM
Yeah I think this might have garnered an initial overreaction, it's still a far cry from the endlessly moustache twirling, gyrocopter escaping on depiction we see in Resistance, and Rescue and also AVP 2010.
And the Colonial Marines videogame if I remember right.

BlueMarsalis79

I try to forget that exists but yes, that's by far as bad as it gets, it's a good thing we got Alien Isolation soon after.

SiL

Quote from: Xenomrph on May 17, 2021, 08:54:18 PM
I don't think those need to be mutually exclusive. He created the opportunity to make his job easier by putting Gorman in charge,
Where are you getting this from?

You've never explained that to begin with. There's nothing in the film saying Burke is spearheading anything. I need to start by assuming you're right, to accept the proof that you're right.

The whole theme of the Marines is their arrogance being their undoing. Sending an inexperienced leader on a mission no one takes seriously is exactly in line with that characterisation. We don't need Burke pulling strings for Gorman to make sense.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

The evidence is the reading that Gorman's placement isn't a coincidence, because Burke's plan falls apart if it is (as evidenced by how quickly Hicks shuts him down).

Likewise, Burke's apparent control (to a point) over Bishop is further evidence that he (and by proxy, WY) is able to exert control over the USCM, otherwise you'd expect Bishop to shut Burke down too if Burke's requests violate quarantine procedures.

Side note, Ripley's "smuggle the embryos, sabotage the cryotubes" theory is pretty much fabricated out of thin air - perhaps he intended to fully disclose that Ripley and Newt had aliens inside them and would let WY hold them in quarantine until they can do something about it.
Parker suggests the same thing in the first movie with Kane ("Why don't they freeze him?"), implying that merely freezing him is an acceptable way of getting the obvious facehugger through quarantine.
Burke obviously planned to openly transport the facehuggers and thought he could get away with it, he tells Bishop to do it. Face hugging Ripley is a (f**ked up) way to keep her from objecting.

SiL

SiL

Once again starting from the supposition that Burke is in charge of anything.

If Burke's not in charge his "plan" is irrelevant.

Nobody takes it seriously and they send a green leader on what's expected to be a nothing mission is not only valid, it makes no assumptions beyond what's in the film.

He's not shown to have any control over Bishop. He makes a request Bishop seems to have no grounds to ignore, as per what Local said. It's not like Bishop tried to hide the order; he doesn't seem to think there's anything inherently wrong with it. Doesn't speak to any special sway or control.

SM

If WY finances the USCM why couldn't Burke pull rank over a corporal nuking a multimillion dollar installation?

BlueMarsalis79

He tried to and got met rightly with "Who cares?"

[cancerblack]

Quote from: SM on May 17, 2021, 09:51:14 PM
Quote from: [cancerblack] on May 17, 2021, 09:36:39 PM
Quote from: SM on May 17, 2021, 09:32:22 PM
Quote from: judge death on May 17, 2021, 05:47:00 PM
lol some week after people saying they are fine with canon changing and changing what we knew, now when its shown Weyland yutani cofinanced the colonial marines and ina  way owns them and changing it: same people now complain over it xD
Well its canon now no matter what we think about it.

What?

I believe this was supposed to be a "gotcha"

Yeah I figured - though I'm not sure what's being got.

People who embrace the changes made by the prequels, I think.

BlueMarsalis79

Aye that sounds about right now

SiL

Quote from: Trash Queen on May 17, 2021, 11:16:40 PM
No he didn't, he got met with "this is under military jurisdiction, you have no authority here". They don't say they don't care he's in charge, they flat out say he's not in charge.

Which is pretty explicitly saying WY has no substantial influence over them.

SM

SM

Quote from: [cancerblack] on May 17, 2021, 11:24:33 PM
Quote from: SM on May 17, 2021, 09:51:14 PM
Quote from: [cancerblack] on May 17, 2021, 09:36:39 PM
Quote from: SM on May 17, 2021, 09:32:22 PM
Quote from: judge death on May 17, 2021, 05:47:00 PM
lol some week after people saying they are fine with canon changing and changing what we knew, now when its shown Weyland yutani cofinanced the colonial marines and ina  way owns them and changing it: same people now complain over it xD
Well its canon now no matter what we think about it.

What?

I believe this was supposed to be a "gotcha"

Yeah I figured - though I'm not sure what's being got.

People who embrace the changes made by the prequels, I think.

Possibly.  Struggling to think if canon has changed and I've been fine with it in the last week...

Quote from: SiL on May 17, 2021, 11:36:31 PM
Quote from: Trash Queen on May 17, 2021, 11:16:40 PM
No he didn't, he got met with "this is under military jurisdiction, you have no authority here". They don't say they don't care he's in charge, they flat out say he's not in charge.

Which is pretty explicitly saying WY has no substantial influence over them.

Quite - there was no "Well we pay your salary, and I'll see you hang".

It's like the idiocy of Burke having to smuggle the Aliens through quarantine. "Hehe I'm so clever smuggling dangerous organisms past a quarantine body that my employers pay for."

See also "Hehe we pay for the marines, but we're going to spend our own money on our own soldiers to go to Fiorina".

BlueMarsalis79

But I never said it is not under military jurisdiction.

And that does not mean Weyland Yutani's got no influence whatsoever over the situation.

Just not in any on the record capacity.

SiL

You said he was met with "who cares" when he tried to assert authority, which is blatantly false. He was told he had none.

BlueMarsalis79

It's not blatantly false, it's blatantly true and Ripley's response signifies that, but you're right in that the statement that it's under military jurisdiction's also made.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed