Aliens: Colonial Marines in Xbox Magazine

Started by ikarop, Nov 24, 2012, 04:12:49 PM

Author
Aliens: Colonial Marines in Xbox Magazine (Read 23,680 times)

G8RSG1

Quote from: The Runner on Nov 24, 2012, 08:09:29 PM
Quote from: Gazz on Nov 24, 2012, 07:59:51 PM
Quote from: The Runner on Nov 24, 2012, 04:18:34 PM

My god, I see the Pilot!!! They better not ruin it by putting in non canon giant bald men.

In fear of starting another 'canon' discussion I tentatively ask what makes Prometheus not canon?

1. Ruining the Space Jockey.
2. Crap Dialogue.
3. Spiffy Mr. Clean Ship.
4. Bringing in Religion into it. (Space Jockey Jesus, WTF? There are Christian fans of the Alien movies yah know)
5. Technology that is more advanced then the latter movies. Shouldn't the shit we see in Prometheus be standard issue by ALIENS?
6. Idiotic Characters.
7. Plot holes.
8. Turning the ALIEN universe from a dead nihilistic space full of mystery to something on the bordering of Star Trek.

Honestly putting Predators stuff would be just as bad as putting Prometheus stuff in here. Prometheus can stay in it's singular canon world, away from the ALIEN universe. Just like the AVP and Predator universe.

I seriously don't think I could face desk any harder.

newbeing

newbeing

My god, I see the Pilot!!! They better not ruin it by putting in non canon giant bald men.

In fear of starting another 'canon' discussion I tentatively ask what makes Prometheus not canon?

2. Crap Dialogue.
4. Bringing in Religion into it. (Space Jockey Jesus, WTF? There are Christian fans of the Alien movies yah know)
5. Technology that is more advanced then the latter movies. Shouldn't the shit we see in Prometheus be standard issue by ALIENS?
6. Idiotic Characters.
7. Plot holes.
8. Turning the ALIEN universe from a dead nihilistic space full of mystery to something on the bordering of Star Trek.

Honestly putting Predators stuff would be just as bad as putting Prometheus stuff in here. Prometheus can stay in it's singular canon world, away from the ALIEN universe. Just like the AVP and Predator universe.

I think it's understood you're not a fan of Prometheus, but also consider that a few of the things you listed are also weaknesses in Alien 3, which was critically panned and more disliked by the general public than Prometheus. However Gearbox is still including elements of Alien 3 into the game. Prometheus is considered canon by Fox and apparently Gearbox. Like it or not, you're just going to have to roll with the punches, assuming you pick up the game.

From the sound of it, the references to Prometheus are few in number.

I'd like to put down some cash for the magazine, just for those exclusive posters, but I wish I knew what they looked like first.

MrSpaceJockey

Alien 3's included because they have to include it. And they're not even focusing on it that much, understandable, but for me, saddening.

acrediblesource

You are mad.  = Prometheus?

Take a step back, and stop the trolling or write something that's worth discussing.

The Runner

Quote from: acrediblesource on Nov 25, 2012, 02:35:29 AM

You are mad.  http://popapostle.com/Star-Trek/images/episodes/ST-Rebooted/The-Truth-About-Tribbles_Pt02/Kirk-in-tribbles.jpg = Prometheus?

Take a step back, and stop the trolling or write something that's worth discussing.

The ALIEN universe wasn't intended to be like Star Trek or Star Wars.....

Ash 937

Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on Nov 25, 2012, 01:59:07 AM
Alien 3's included because they have to include it. And they're not even focusing on it that much, understandable, but for me, saddening.

It'll be refreshing to see the runner from Alien3 make an appearance in A:CM.  Considering its speed, I think it would be pretty tense trying to nail it with a pulse rifle before its in proximity to kill your player.  I think it's easily one of the most menacing xenos in the entire series.

Razz

Looks good but as stated, the Animation needs touching up and given that Feb 12th really isn't that far away, I'm wondering if Gearbox can do it in time.  :-\

Gazz

Quote from: Razz on Nov 25, 2012, 11:11:58 AM
Looks good but as stated, the Animation needs touching up and given that Feb 12th really isn't that far away, I'm wondering if Gearbox can do it in time.  :-\

Delay release...  :P

Razz

Quote from: Gazz on Nov 25, 2012, 11:27:32 AM
Quote from: Razz on Nov 25, 2012, 11:11:58 AM

Delay release...  :P
Well considering how packed February is looking, Crysis 3, Bioshock Infinite, Dead Space 3 MGS Rising Revengance, if it improves the game...

A delay wouldn't bother me like it did in the past.

Hides* :P

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: newbeing on Nov 25, 2012, 01:56:26 AM
I'd like to put down some cash for the magazine, just for those exclusive posters, but I wish I knew what they looked like first.

http://twitter.com/_CorporalHicks/status/273149403613786113/photo/1

http://twitter.com/_CorporalHicks/status/273149474581409792/photo/1

I'm just about to start reading it.

newbeing

Very cool. Thanks for posting pics of them.

Njm1983

Polish is more important to me than getting the game. There is the "polished turd" argument but all in all the game has enough to at least want me to play. The turn off will be game breaking imbalances. Hell I played AVP2010 for a good 6-8 months despite the rage inducing imbalances in that shit. I only stopped because The only players left by then were the ones exploiting the exploits.

So far the magazine articles have done nothing to improve my attitude about the game. The videos are really well done but they are exactly that "videos".

PRJ_since1990

Quote from: newbeing on Nov 25, 2012, 01:56:26 AM

2. Crap Dialogue.
6. Idiotic Characters.
7. Plot holes.

I think it's understood you're not a fan of Prometheus, but also consider that a few of the things you listed are also weaknesses in Alien 3, which was critically panned and more disliked by the general public than Prometheus. However Gearbox is still including elements of Alien 3 into the game. Prometheus is considered canon by Fox and apparently Gearbox. Like it or not, you're just going to have to roll with the punches, assuming you pick up the game.

From the sound of it, the references to Prometheus are few in number.

I'm trying to see if I can't find one on ebay. Those posters look absolutely worth it.

On another note, I agree with what you're saying. I really hope that Gearbox, which did such a fantastic job on the Borderlands games, do justice to this franchise that we all love. Prometheus is now part of the overall universe so it must be recognized and respected, liked or not. I for one, actually liked it and hope that it finds its own niche within the overlapping universe.

I would like to also point out that it might not be a bad idea to send an online request to Gearbox to make sure this game is polished inside and out. The last thing we need is awkward animation ruining the tension of any session, be it alone or multiplayer. I'd sign it. I've been very excited about this game and the premise behind it. 

SM

SM

Quote from: Ash 937 on Nov 25, 2012, 12:29:42 AM
"It's the first time there's ever been an original Aliens story in video game form. Ever." - Pitchford

I don't understand how such a blatantly false statement can even be made by Pitchford considering the fact that GBX worked with WayForward to make Aliens: Infestation on the Nintendo DS in 2011.

Oh yeah, and there are also these:

Aliens: Thanatos Encounter (2001) - Gameboy Color
Aliens: Extermination (2006) - Arcade

Chuck in Aliens Unleashed, Aliens A Comic Book Adventure and Aliens Online.  And you could chuck in Alien Trilogy and all.

Quote3. Spiffy Mr. Clean Ship.

Like the Sulaco.

Quote4. Bringing in Religion into it. (Space Jockey Jesus, WTF? There are Christian fans of the Alien movies yah know)

:laugh:

I think any Alien fan should watch Alien3 and Resurrection at least once.

(Wonder if Shaw could arrange an introduction for Dillon and Call...)

QuoteThe ALIEN universe wasn't intended to be like Star Trek or Star Wars.....

Guess what - it still isn't.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Keep the thread clean guys. This isn't for Prometheus arguments. Thanks.

Runner - I've deleted your post. See my above ^ Thanks.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed