Scene cut from The Predator due to sex offender casting

Started by Ramjet311, Sep 06, 2018, 12:08:15 PM

Author
Scene cut from The Predator due to sex offender casting (Read 30,932 times)

Samhain13

Quote from: Ultramorph on Sep 12, 2018, 03:40:03 PM
Quote from: PredBabe on Sep 12, 2018, 03:37:47 PM
It went from 75% on down to 40% on Rotten Tomatoes...

This is dread, mon, very dread.

There's no stopping what can't be stopped.

The Old One

The Old One

Hey, make sense man.

Corporal Hicks

There's been an update but I can't follow the read more link: https://dailywn.com/news/118664

Ultramorph

^ It's a statement from the Jane Doe that Streiger guy tried to molest.

Hollywood

Link to video interview of Shane at premiere:
https://canoe.com/entertainment/celebrity/shane-black-gets-emotional-apologizing-to-olivia-munn-over-predator-controversy

Quote"I have reached out to Olivia," he told Entertainment Tonight. "I felt that I owed her that call, that apology and I'm very sorry for any pain that she's felt, but I reached out privately."

"If I caused pain, it's on me. It's my fault. I made a decision, which was a very bad – look, it's not about the fact that I was as shocked to discover what's going on at reading these horrible things in the paper. That's still on me," he continued.

"I'm not allowed to just treat this like we're kids in college and putting friends in movies because this is big leagues, and I felt like I had let people down and caused pain to the cast and that is not acceptable."

Whiskeybrewer

Spoiler
Because of all this i couldnt help but laugh at the Wanna Meet A Predator line
[close]

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Just saw a recent podcast of Collider, and a dude said some jokes felt dirty after learning about the scene that was cut for the reasons we know... I mean WTF ? Are you that fragile ? You can't take sex jokes ? That's what they are, jokes ! And use this f**ked up situation to say that the jokes felt dirty... Man oh man...

They even said there were too many swears, well it's a Shane Black joint, what did you  expect ? Intellectual masturbation lol ?

DaddyYautja

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Sep 13, 2018, 01:54:40 PM
Just saw a recent podcast of Collider, and a dude said some jokes felt dirty after learning about the scene that was cut for the reasons we know... I mean WTF ? Are you that fragile ? You can't take sex jokes ? That's what they are, jokes ! And use this f**ked up situation to say that the jokes felt dirty... Man oh man...

They even said there were too many swears, well it's a Shane Black joint, what did you  expect ? Intellectual masturbation lol ?

Like i said a few page earlier, Predator franchise is done if it's going to Disney. The best bet is it being sold off to Legendary.
Disney torpedoed GotG, which is a way more profitable franchise, they are not going to have any issue letting this one die.

Naginata

Why has discussion of this devolved into 'RUINED FOREVER' hysterics, as though how it effects the franchise is in any way the point?

Shane Black hired a pedophile, Olivia Munn spoke out, and the victim of said pedophile has publicly thanked her for doing so; that's what happened. Period. If Fox and Black hadn't tried to brush it under the rug when it happened, maybe it wouldn't have exploded the way it has, but they did, and so here we are. Movies aren't made in a vacuum. The idea that this situation isn't going to color people's perceptions of the movie (which, let's remember, is called "The Predator"), particularly where dirty jokes are concerned... I mean, honestly, who's being "easily offended" here?

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Naginata on Sep 13, 2018, 09:18:10 PM
who's being "easily offended" here?

A lot of people in today's society.

DaddyYautja

Quote from: Naginata on Sep 13, 2018, 09:18:10 PM
Why has discussion of this devolved into 'RUINED FOREVER' hysterics, as though how it effects the franchise is in any way the point?

Shane Black hired a pedophile, Olivia Munn spoke out, and the victim of said pedophile has publicly thanked her for doing so; that's what happened. Period. If Fox and Black hadn't tried to brush it under the rug when it happened, maybe it wouldn't have exploded the way it has, but they did, and so here we are. Movies aren't made in a vacuum. The idea that this situation isn't going to color people's perceptions of the movie (which, let's remember, is called "The Predator"), particularly where dirty jokes are concerned... I mean, honestly, who's being "easily offended" here?

This is a fan board, what are we going to talk about? The thing we are a fan of.
No laws were broken, this whole thing is about one actress letting everyone know she got a scene cut out then she went around complaining people weren't talking to her about this during premiere week. Who wants to talk about her personal decision during premiere week? And let's not forget this was done months ago, saying that she has to speak, this and that, but why didn't she do it when it happened?

PS-yes, PR-wise this was a bad idea from Black.

Naginata

Naginata

^ Most of your points were addressed in that Ellen interview. Not trying to be a smart-ass, just FYI.

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Sep 14, 2018, 10:55:28 AM

Oh, spare me. We live at a time where Family Guy can joke about rape on a major network and NOT cause a riot - any given episode of that, or South Park, or just about anything else on TV has content on it that would've landed someone in jail in the 50's. I'm sick to death of people whining about how no one can say anything when we live in what is - content-wise - the least restrictive mass media landscape ever.

EDIT: I hope this doesn't come off as overly aggressive; I'm not snapping at you so much as the argument.

SUPER-DUPER EDIT: I think we got side-tracked here. My point was more about the Collider guys than anything; of course they're gonna be thinking of this situation during the movie. I mean, if you watch Moonwalker, the scene where Michael Jackson is chasing two children through a meadow laughing is gonna come off fairly differently to how the director intended. 'Sall I'm saying.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Naginata on Sep 14, 2018, 10:07:27 PM
^ Most of your points were addressed in that Ellen interview. Not trying to be a smart-ass, just FYI.

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Sep 14, 2018, 10:55:28 AM

Oh, spare me. We live at a time where Family Guy can joke about rape on a major network and NOT cause a riot - any given episode of that, or South Park, or just about anything else on TV has content on it that would've landed someone in jail in the 50's. I'm sick to death of people whining about how no one can say anything when we live in what is - content-wise - the least restrictive mass media landscape ever.

EDIT: I hope this doesn't come off as overly aggressive; I'm not snapping at you so much as the argument.

SUPER-DUPER EDIT: I think we got side-tracked here. My point was more about the Collider guys than anything; of course they're gonna be thinking of this situation during the movie. I mean, if you watch Moonwalker, the scene where Michael Jackson is chasing two children through a meadow laughing is gonna come off fairly differently to how the director intended. 'Sall I'm saying.

But the scene was cut in The Predator, so that's different. What would they have wanted ? Just one timid sex joke through the entire film for them to not be offended ?

I maintain that our era is definitely more punishing towards men making sex comments about women, yes, totally. 30 or 40 years ago you totally could do more than now, be more provocative in this direction, no doubt about it.

Naginata

The fact that your avatar is my favorite character from Predator makes it hard to argue with you because I feel like I'm talking shit to Mac, LOL.

I guess I'm saying that, whether the scene is gone or not, the stink of this controversy is still gonna hang over the film, but I take your point. We'll just have to agree to disagree about the rest, as I suspect we're coming at it from different directions entirely.

Fugitive Predator

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Sep 13, 2018, 01:54:40 PM

yeah collider is pretty much scum never liked them and never will.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed