All Star Wars

Started by CELTICPRED, Dec 13, 2006, 05:23:55 AM

Author
All Star Wars (Read 2,790,944 times)

bb-15

bb-15

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 18, 2020, 06:22:53 AM
I think the entire PT is shit and this is the All Star Wars thread, so discussing it is hardly off-topic.  Feel free to vent spleen about it.  Please.

OK, I also rank the PT pretty low. Here is my ranking of all the Star Wars live action films.

1. The Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. Return of the Jedi
4. The Force Awakens
5. The Rise of Skywalker
6. Rogue One
7. ROTS
8. AOTC
9. TPM
10. The Last Jedi

* For me the PT doesn't hold up very well.

I believe when the PT was done that Lucas had declined as a filmmaker in terms of casting, editing & dialogue.
Also, by this time Lucas had much more control of these later Star Wars films where he did the writing and directing where no one could stand up to him.

- Compare that to the OT process which had a strong producer (Gary Kurtz), his first wife, Marcia, doing editing & providing story ideas, different writers like Lawrence Kasdan & other directors such as Irvin Kershner.

;)

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: bb-15 on Jan 18, 2020, 06:44:10 AM
I believe when the PT was done that Lucas had declined as a filmmaker in terms of casting, editing & dialogue.
Also, by this time Lucas had much more control of these later Star Wars films where he did the writing and directing where no one could stand up to him.

- Compare that to the OT process which had a strong producer (Gary Kurtz), his first wife, Marcia, doing editing & providing story ideas, different writers like Lawrence Kasdan & other directors such as Irvin Kershner.

I agree.  Have you read The Secret History of Star Wars?

And where does Solo rank?

bb-15

bb-15

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 18, 2020, 06:49:47 AM
Quote from: bb-15 on Jan 18, 2020, 06:44:10 AM

I agree.  Have you read The Secret History of Star Wars?

And where does Solo rank?

I haven't read that book. A lot of the information about the development of Star Wars is online.
What did you think of it?

I forgot about Solo. I've got it at #6 (almost even with Rogue One).

;)

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Excellent book.  I highly recommend it, although it was written before Disney acquired Lucasfilm so you won't read anything about that stuff in it.

https://www.amazon.com/Secret-History-Star-Wars/dp/B00K7LSE3M

The author also wrote a bunch of articles that didn't make it into the book before publication.  You can find them here:

http://fd.noneinc.com/secrethistoryofstarwarscom/secrethistoryofstarwars.com/articles.html

Looks like you have a lot of reading to do.

bb-15

bb-15

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 18, 2020, 08:14:03 AM
Excellent book.  I highly recommend it, although it was written before Disney acquired Lucasfilm so you won't read anything about that stuff in it.

https://www.amazon.com/Secret-History-Star-Wars/dp/B00K7LSE3M

The author also wrote a bunch of articles that didn't make it into the book before publication.  You can find them here:

http://fd.noneinc.com/secrethistoryofstarwarscom/secrethistoryofstarwars.com/articles.html

Looks like you have a lot of reading to do.

I just read the article about Luke's severed hand. Impressive.
Thanks for the link.

;)

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Some concept art has surfaced.  8)

Oracle- It looks like a parasitic creature living inside a baby's head or something  :laugh:

Different concepts of Rey vs Kylo Ren

Visions of the dark side

Vader's legacy

Knights of Ren

Rey under water

The Jedi Temple in Coruscant

Luke trains Leia

The torture of Chewbacca

Reylo ruling the galaxy?

Force ghosts

More conceptual images...

Source

https://twitter.com/ComicBook_Movie/status/1218538603925725184

razeak

razeak

Looks like a lot of cool ideas

Gilfryd

Gilfryd

Quote from: ColliderThe beginning of the film very much picks up from The Last Jedi in that the First Order has cut off all communication between planets in order to suppress a rebellion inspired by Luke Skywalker's stand off at the Battle of Crait. So the spark of the rebellion did work in this version of the movie. In fact, the opening sequence of Duel of the Fates finds Finn (John Boyega), Rose (Kelly Marie Tran), and BB-8 stealing a Star Destroyer that's chock full of Imperial weapons. During the heist, Finn sees a Stormtrooper with his helmet off that he recognizes, with his story arc in Duel of the Fates nicely concluding the one that began in The Force Awakens. Oh and Rose? Apparently front and center through the whole movie, which is a damn shame given that she's completely sidelined in Rise of Skywalker.

In Trevorrow's version, Rose and Finn are on a mission to Coruscant to ignite an ancient beacon in the old Jedi Temple, which will call the galaxy to war. They get imprisoned, Rose gets interrogated by General Hux (Domhnall Gleeson), and Finn leads an uprising of defecting Stormtroopers in a ground battle in the streets of Coruscant. At the very end of the movie, Finn and Rose lead a group of Force Sensitive youth to a remote planet where Rey is waiting to train the next generation of Jedi. And yes, "Broom Boy" is one of them.

As for Reylo, well, Kylo Ren still dies at the end of Duel of the Fates, but his arc in the film—as well as Rey's—is completely different. For one, there's no Emperor Palpatine. At the beginning of the movie, Kylo Ren has vanished off to Mustafar (Darth Vader's lava planet) and is wallowing around in Vader's old castle. There, he's "haunted" by the Force Ghost of Luke Sykwalker (Mark Hamill's return) and even fights a hallucinatory version of Darth Vader a la Luke's fight in the cave. He comes into contact with the Sith teacher of Palpatine, Tor Valum, via an ancient Sith device as he's trying to put an end to the Jedi and the Sith once and for all. But he's bad, bad, bad in this version of the story—he's gone full Heisenberg, so to speak.

Rey (Daisy Ridley), meanwhile, still believes there's good in Kylo Ren and has teamed up with Poe (Oscar Isaac) to put an end to the Jedi/Sith in her own way—another story point this film picks up from the ending of The Last Jedi.

And Rey's parents? Still nobodies (i.e. Rey is not a Palpatine), but Kylo Ren killed them at the behest of Snoke. Ouch. The finale of the movie finds Rey and Kylo Ren duking it out on the mystical planet Mortis, with Rey getting an assist from the Force Ghosts of Luke, Obi-Wan (Ewan McGregor, presumably), and Yoda. The Jedi try unsuccessfully to bring Kylo Ren back to the light, but he's too far gone and in the end he is "extinguished."

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Jan 16, 2020, 09:55:11 AM
Even not caring for that Director's work, I think if that's true, I'd prefer it without a doubt.

Hate to say it but I might prefer it as well. Seems more in sync with what the first two films set up, as well as being an epic conclusion to a nine part saga. Although you might as well replace "Tor Valum" (whoever that is) with Darth Plagueis.

Edit: Never mind, read some more detailed plotlines and Plagueis wouldn't work either. Still find it odd someone we've never heard of who 'trained' Palpatine would still be around.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Saw ads for different bluray editions exclusive for different retailers. So far for me BestBuys steelbok looks best with Ren dueling Rey. Still, my first buy will be 3D edition so Im curious as to what package that edition will be

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

There was a nice canonical link to the Mandalorian Wars (and to some extent to Kotor games) in the last episode of the first season of Mando. In particular when the characters return to the Mandalorian enclave, and Pedro Pascal's character is explaining to the female Mandalorian armorer about Baby Yoda's powers. She started talking about the time when Mandalore The Great was fighting against an ancient order of sorcerers called Jedi. It is certainly a cooler reference than the poor Easter egg in TROS (the name Revan in one of the legions of Sith Troopers, which is not even on screen).

Also, I think the show can become a direct prequel to the ST. I think Moff Gideon wants to restore the Empire and become Emperor himself. He probably wants to clone Baby Yoda in order to have a force user totally loyal to him and who can mature in half the natural time (like Jango's clones). The Mandalorian is going to stop him. However, the actions of Moff Gideon could be key in the formation of "The First Order". They can even include a Snoke cameo in the final episode. It sounds stupid. But I was just wondering. But I'm just as curious about the future of the kid. maybe he is destined to become the Yoda of thee New New Republic. :laugh:

By the way, I actually dig the Clone Wars moment. Let me explain. Back to the last episode, there is a flashback that shows how Mandalorian warriors rescued the protagonist (he was a child at the time) from a Separatist attack.

These Super Battle Droids were less cartoonish and more intimidating than the ones we saw in the prequels. The droids were more similar to those of the Republic Commando game (game mechanics, I know, but still great!). I'd like a more darker Clone Wars battle for sure.

8) 8) 8)

The Old One

The Old One

Dave Filoni knows what's good, KOTOR, KOTOR 2, Republic Commando.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: bb-15 on Jan 18, 2020, 03:16:58 AM
Quote from: Prez on Jan 16, 2020, 11:51:49 AM
I personally prefer what we got in the cinemas. Me happy ... even after 42 years with these films - warts and all, I love em.

I was happy with TFA and TROS. (Not happy at all with TLJ.) With the OT I now have 5 SW films that I can watch multiple times.
Abrams had a tough job fixing where imo TLJ went wrong & he did as well as could be expected.

Some might argue Rian had a tough job fixing JJ's ANH rehash.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Jan 20, 2020, 12:38:08 PM
Dave Filoni knows what's good, KOTOR, KOTOR 2, Republic Commando.

These games deserve remakes in order to be experienced in all glory with current tech  8)

Alecbirds

Alecbirds

I had no idea how divisive rogue one is. Personally I like it more than any of the prequels or the new trilogy.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I don't think Rogue One is all that divisive.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed