“What Strength Really Is," An Interview with Prey Director Dan Trachtenberg - AvP Galaxy Podcast #153

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 08, 2022, 03:57:41 PM

Author
“What Strength Really Is," An Interview with Prey Director Dan Trachtenberg - AvP Galaxy Podcast #153 (Read 5,886 times)

Corporal Hicks

We have just uploaded the 153rd episode of the Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast (right-click and save as to download)! In this episode, Corporal Hicks and RidgeTop are honoured to be joined by the director of Prey himself, Mr Dan Trachtenberg!

We talk about how Prey changed from pitch to filming, how the editing process affected the film, how The Predator affected Prey, and the new scale in which we judge movies (will Dan’s mom like this movie?), Dan addresses some criticisms and plenty more!

What did you think of our latest episode? Be sure to let us know down below! You can also listen to any of our previous episodes in the Podcast section under the News tab on the main menu. The Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast is also available via iTunes, PodBean, GooglePlay Stitcher, and Spotify! Please be sure to leave a rating and review on whichever platform you're using!

And if you'd rather see our beautiful faces, as always, the video version of the podcast is also available on the Alien vs. Predator Galaxy YouTube channel!

Make sure your browsers are locked into Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest Alien and Predator news! You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube to get the latest on your social media walls. Be sure to join in with fellow Alien and Predator fans on our forums as well!

Mike’s Monsters

Another great one! You guys have been kicking ass with these interviews.

Kradan

Oh yeeeeah, baby, I'm gonna rub this thing all over my ears

xShadowFoxX

Kradan

Great episode, gentlemen ! Dan seems like a very nice  fellow. Kinda surprised to learm how much he's awsre of the reaction his movie had

Now I'm kicking myself for not asking anything about that Portal short ...

oduodu

oduodu

great podcast.  a lot of my views  on prey are altered now.   after hearing this. seems like he has had a lot of control of what made it into the movie.  and he explains a lot of why he has gone with certain ideas and decisions. nice to know

feral feels more like a werewolf in some scenes than a predator..  but the movie was made at least by a fan of the  franchise that knows p1 quite well. not just some guy who were knoqn for other work.

ah so it was him who approached  fox to make the movie not the other way around.

whos chose the script writer? dan or the studio?

GreybackElder

This interview was fantastic. Well done as always gentlemen! Dan seems like such a fan of predator it's easy to see why prey was such a success. I also appreciate his discussion of not using the wendigo and not leaning more into the Comanche lore. I get why that could be viewed as cultural appropriation.

I also totally agree with Dan in regards to Naru's war cry. I also get chills every time. I would love to see Dan tackle another predator film!

Anyone else wonder why Dan didn't elaborate in the scene where Naru first sees lightning while fighting the mountain lion? Sequel perhaps?

oduodu

oduodu

oh yes his edplanation on why he chose the Comanche was very interesting. they actually had warrior woman. but then naru should be built like gina carano.

that was tong in cheek. dan gives a
  really good explanation as to why she was chosen to be the character she was.

skhellter

Good interview.

Glad to see someone actually going in depth with Dan, not just into behind the scenes trivia but also on what the story means to him.

Highland

Great interview guys! He really thought every little thing out, we are lucky to have him  8)

Quote from: GreybackElder on Oct 09, 2022, 05:45:09 PMAnyone else wonder why Dan didn't elaborate in the scene where Naru first sees lightning while fighting the mountain lion? Sequel perhaps?

I toyed with the idea ( in another post) that what if there was actually two movies running and that scene is part of the other movie.

A massive prediction I know, but he did try to keep the first onre secret so....

What if grey back was assessing Feral ... 8)

How awesome would that reveal be!

Mr.Turok

Mr.Turok

Quote from: Highland on Oct 13, 2022, 12:50:37 PMGreat interview guys! He really thought every little thing out, we are lucky to have him  8)

Quote from: GreybackElder on Oct 09, 2022, 05:45:09 PMAnyone else wonder why Dan didn't elaborate in the scene where Naru first sees lightning while fighting the mountain lion? Sequel perhaps?

I toyed with the idea ( in another post) that what if there was actually two movies running and that scene is part of the other movie.

A massive prediction I know, but he did try to keep the first onre secret so....

I'd just wonder why is he doing that up to that point instead on the ship?

But yes, on to that point about keeping things secret, he really did keep the idea of a Predator winning and a potential future sequel a very loud secret? Like he could have said any red herring but he kept that very loud pause huh hahaha. I just hope that hints of interesting great things to come.

Highland

Quote from: Mr.Turok on Oct 14, 2022, 03:50:44 AM
Quote from: Highland on Oct 13, 2022, 12:50:37 PMGreat interview guys! He really thought every little thing out, we are lucky to have him  8)

I'd just wonder why is he doing that up to that point instead on the ship?

But yes, on to that point about keeping things secret, he really did keep the idea of a Predator winning and a potential future sequel a very loud secret? Like he could have said any red herring but he kept that very loud pause huh hahaha. I just hope that hints of interesting great things to come.

It's just a strange scene all round. You could have anything distract Naru, but why that and why didn't we see it. The answer in the podcast just cements that further.

PredBabe

I get the general concern for cultural appropriation but they literally had the right cast and crew to help with ensuring things would be presented in a more accurate and meaningful way.

Nevertheless it was a solid interview. I loved his enthusiasm for the franchise and really loved is take on the "code" of the Predator and why it sets it apart from other movie monsters and slashers.

Xiggz456

Great interview guys! Cool to know that the bully was the son of the war chief! Love those little tidbits of info. Really interesting listen. Hicks & Ridge did a fantastic job with this one! Well done.

RoguePred1987

really dug the interview. you can tell from some of his answers, that he has some very specific ideas in mind for certain possibilities and he's definitely not spilling.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed