Blomkamp's Alien 5 is "Innovative, Amazing, Performs Fan Service"

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 23, 2016, 11:25:49 PM

Author
Blomkamp's Alien 5 is "Innovative, Amazing, Performs Fan Service" (Read 113,314 times)

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Feb 12, 2019, 01:10:32 AM
Quote from: CelticP on Feb 11, 2019, 11:25:34 PM
Quote from: DarthWall275 on Feb 11, 2019, 07:56:14 PM
I'm genuinely surprised so many people are actually supporting this, considering Blomkamp's past "masterpieces" such as....Chappie.

Of course given both Scott and Jim's latest works, tgis may actually be preferable. And I shouldn't be saying that.

I love Chappie

Ya, Chappie improves with time.  It is definitely rewatchable.  Those crazy rappers are somehow compelling.  It's fun.

I also rather enjoy Chappie. It helps I do absolutely love Die Antwoord.

AVP-CAPCOM

AVP-CAPCOM

Quote from: DarthWall275 on Feb 11, 2019, 07:56:14 PM
I'm genuinely surprised so many people are actually supporting this, considering Blomkamp's past "masterpieces" such as....Chappie.

Director's often branch out into different genres. I keep hearing the "Chappie" (2015) argument, never seen it, but the synopsis sounds like a purposefully tongue in cheek "Friday night movie" merging Short Circuit 1&2 with an R-rated certificate, music and cast.

While I loved Short Circuit as a child- I can't say I bothered picking up that Chappie DVD I saw in a charity shop for 50p.

It would be like saying "Ridley Scott's last film before Prometheus was A Good Year 2006 and only scored rotten tomatoes 26%" so therefore he shouldn't have another go at an ALIEN movie.

The Old One

The Old One

No it wouldn't, Ridley Scott's got a far more varied and successful filmography with his first three films each being excellent in their own right. The latter two being masterpieces.

Neill Blomkamp's got one good film on his belt, and some decent shorts, that's it.

Oasis Nadrama

Oasis Nadrama

Quote from: SiL on Feb 11, 2019, 06:44:42 AM
Quote from: Oasis Nadrama on Feb 11, 2019, 06:30:55 AM
We have absolutely no confirmation they need to breathe, we even have more clues they don't in the various movies, and some of the "extended universe" on various media doesn't hesitate to establish they don't.
The films establish they breathe.

Do they?
Where? When?
I've only seen them blowing air to extinct candles or to threaten through a window. This is not the same thing, just like they can have mouths but we're not sure the adult form needs to eat.
[In Alien 1/2/3 (and probably even 4), we never see an adult Alien eat. Some people theorize that in accordance to their biomechanical design, they deal with energy more like a car battery, which would work nicely with the Alien blood.
Also if they eat, why are the hosts' corpses always left to rot in the coccoons?]

Edit: Of course if I've missed a line, a picture or a scene, by all means tell me. But I would find it bad to assume Aliens eat or breathe, we're already talking about an organism which can reach its adult form in a matter of hours, which has acid for blood,  and whose egg form can survive in extreme conditions.

Nukiemorph

I always thought the mini-mouth puncture was eating...

Some victims they cocoon for impregnation, some they feed on by eating a chunk of brain with their little head-rape mouth.

Kane's other son

The alien in Alien 3 was gnawing a victim during the leadworks chase.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Feb 12, 2019, 01:10:32 AMYa, Chappie improves with time.  It is definitely rewatchable.

I honestly thought it got dramatically worse with a second watch, having quite enjoyed it the first time around.

The Old One

The Old One

Hell...

Bring it on, at least we can then stop having the discussion of what it should have been.

I'd love to have David Fincher on as some kind of consultant.

Rankles75

Still think it's enormously unlikely we ever get a film, but I don't see any reason we can't get a comic book adaptation considering we've got one for the Gibson script.

SM

QuoteDo they?
Where? When?

Queen in Aliens.

QuoteAlso if they eat, why are the hosts' corpses always left to rot in the coccoons?

There are bodies missing flesh in the Hadley and Auriga hives.  Not sure if the Hadley ones are on screen, but there's a skeleton next to Ripley in the waste tank hive just after the Newborn kills the Queen.

Predwars24

Not sure how I feel about this just yet, guess I'll just have to see the new Terminator film in order to know if I'm confident in him returning to old franchises.

SiL

Quote from: SM on Feb 12, 2019, 10:56:54 PM
QuoteDo they?
Where? When?

Queen in Aliens.
And like every Alien in Resurrection.

We had this discussion recently. The idea that breathing is some kind of deal breaking weakness is a bit silly. They can go long periods without it, clearly, so it's not that much of a set back.

SM

Yep.

(I was trying to avoid the inevitable 'Resurrection Aliens r mutants'.)

SiL

Quote from: SM on Feb 12, 2019, 11:21:32 PM
Yep.

(I was trying to avoid the inevitable 'Resurrection Aliens r mutants'.)
'Ken oath. Lucky Queenie set the precedent.

Drukathi

Drukathi

+1 reason for Alien 5 with Cameron. We can find out more about... Arcturians!

Maybe we even see Arcturians. I imagine this as an Arcturian spy goes in the WY's aliens labs with sabotage mission and release the xenomorphs.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed