Alien 5 to be "Genetic Sibling" to Alien & Aliens

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 25, 2015, 08:58:36 PM

Author
Alien 5 to be "Genetic Sibling" to Alien & Aliens (Read 79,896 times)

Xenomrph

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Mar 01, 2015, 01:07:34 AM
Quote from: CainsSon on Feb 28, 2015, 02:29:19 AM
Alien Isolation - to my knowledge... Just expanded on her daughter's story. Was there something else added that contradicts anything in the Alien films? Apart from the idea of the Company lying to ripley about her daughter. Cause that's not the same thing as a retcon.

Burke had no reason to lie - and Ripley had every reason to look up her daughter's life details from non-company sources. She would have been at her utmost paranoid about trusting the company at that point. Finding out Amanda went off in search of her voice recorder to somewhere which came to grief, Nostromo-style, would have been a big red flag.

And the fact nobody's heard about anything remotely like the Alien... Nobody mentoning that the woman's daughter mentioned encountering something similar, at Ellen's own hearing? Not plausible.

And if the company was nefarious and evil, having a reason for covering it up, then they would have also had every reason to go and seek out LV-426 and actively scour it before Ellen returned. They didn't. It's just another colony to them. One which they never bothered putting any real dedicated bio-warfare personnel or facilities on.

The game's really well presented and worthy of being praised, but even its own writers copped out of providing an explanation for Amanda's inclusion. :)

So, again, if people can take that gaming experience to heart, they can enjoy a movie which retcons the third/fourth movie, too. 'Isolation' proved that, so well as something is done well, people just won't care.
To be fair, all of those "continuity" issues you bring up can all be explained away really, really easily.

Amanda's fate in the game and her fate in 'Aliens' don't line up, but the game ends on a massive cliffhanger so there's obviously more story to tell, and dozens of ways to tie it all together.

W-Y didn't scour LV-426 for Alien stuff because they didn't know it was there - you shut off the Derelict's beacon in Isolation, and all other data from the Nostromo incident was destroyed (or floating in the Narcissus, awaiting pickup decades later). Even the crew files in the inquest in 'Aliens' mention the Nostromo case had been closed years after Isolation is supposed to take place - W-Y had simply stopped searching. It was obviously getting to be cost prohibitive - they'd lost the Nostromo, and 15 years later they lost an entire space station, all with absolutely nothing to show for it.

I mean we're not talking Colonial Marines degrees of continuity speedbumps here.

HappyAlien

HappyAlien

Quote from: szkoki on Feb 25, 2015, 09:27:18 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 25, 2015, 09:13:59 PM
Alien 3 isn't going anywhere. Even if I love this. Don't see what the problem with a different take  would be.

cool lets make a completely new Star Wars Episode 4 and 5 movie then!
i hate the idea but i love the franchise and Sigourney, Blomkamp, also Micheal Biehn is a hellofa actor now!
but this story is just.. they are raping my childhood :D like AVP and AR werent enough

Star Wars and Empire were the two best films in the  Star Wars franchise while Alien 3 and Alien R were not as good as the first two Alien films. If anything they should remake Star Wars episodes 1,2 and 3.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 01, 2015, 01:31:31 AM
Amanda's fate in the game and her fate in 'Aliens' don't line up, but the game ends on a massive cliffhanger so there's obviously more story to tell, and dozens of ways to tie it all together.

But that's my point. The game, as it stands, is essentially retconning known canon. If taht changes in a future edition, great, but it has yet to do so.

So, until then, the game features a retcon - but people generally like it. :) That's why I say the same will apply to this project if it goes the same way.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Mar 01, 2015, 04:48:50 PMBut that's my point. The game, as it stands, is essentially retconning known canon. If taht changes in a future edition, great, but it has yet to do so.

It really isn't. It's not like we saw Amanda's body in the second film.

More to the point, Amanda doesn't exist at all as far as the theatrical cut is concerned.

Xenomorphine

No, but either she dies much earlier than her mother was informed or humanity should know about the creatures by then (or at the very least, she'd be disbelieved for telling a story her mother would have looked up).

HuDaFuK

Why? Marlow's argument that the only way to beat the Alien is to refuse to engage is pretty compelling and accurate. It's not at all unrealistic that Amanda would buy into that and keep schtum as a result.

Xenomorphine

When people encounter extraordinary things, the feel a desire to tell others about it when they've reached safety.

She'd also be a key witness as to what happened to the station and Weyland-Yutani personnel who were travelling with her. Plus, it would have cleared her mother's name of any suspicion of blame, whatsoever; providing a solution to that old mystery was clearly something she felt very strongly about.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Mar 01, 2015, 05:45:57 PMWhen people encounter extraordinary things, the feel a desire to tell others about it when they've reached safety.

People also make huge personal sacrifices to save others. Like her mum, for example.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Mar 01, 2015, 04:48:50 PM
So, until then, the game features a retcon - but people generally like it. :) That's why I say the same will apply to this project if it goes the same way.

Whilst we don't know the full details about Alienkamp and how it'll return Ripley and Hicks, one of the options is to just ignore lien 3 and Resurrection. This is slightly different to Isolation as that doesn't effectively erase anything the current continuity.

Adam802

Just ignore A3 and A:R.  Dont officially make a reason for why A3 and A:R dont exist, just make a new movie.  That way, people who like A3 and A:R can still enjoy them as canon if they want to.  Also, trying to make a reason why A3/A:R didnt happen will just be contrived and forced. 

Son Of Kane

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 01, 2015, 06:20:06 PM
Quote from: Xenomorphine on Mar 01, 2015, 04:48:50 PM

Whilst we don't know the full details about Alienkamp and how it'll return Ripley and Hicks, one of the options is to just ignore lien 3 and Resurrection. This is slightly different to Isolation as that doesn't effectively erase anything the current continuity.

No, you're correct- it simply created two continuities.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Adam802 on Mar 01, 2015, 08:36:24 PMJust ignore A3 and A:R.  Dont officially make a reason for why A3 and A:R dont exist, just make a new movie.  That way, people who like A3 and A:R can still enjoy them as canon if they want to.  Also, trying to make a reason why A3/A:R didnt happen will just be contrived and forced.

I don't want a retcon, but if they insist this is how they should do it.

meshuggah

meshuggah

Yeah I can accept the idea of choosing timelines after Aliens, it reminds me of Mass Effect - Now, would you like to follow Blomkamp or have the tragic Fincher ending? - And after the film cones out fans will debate over the alternative canons for eons as Fox laughs to the bank. But I honestly think its the best approach and I believe that's what Blonkamp meant when he said he won't "undo" them.

Ugh, excuse the spelling errors, typing on a phone. Also, I hope Bishop returns!

Taxemic

Guys these are films made for our entertainment. Believe whatever the f*** you want to believe.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Taxemic on Mar 02, 2015, 12:16:28 AM
Guys these are films made for our entertainment. Believe whatever the f*** you want to believe.

Well, the reason I care is that sequels revive the movie prior to it and continue building on what already had been built. Ignoring movies is the same as undoing them in the long run, especially if the new retcon sequels are successful. A3 will fade away completely, which is a pity it's an amazing movie that deserves better than that. I also hate retcons, reboots and remakes in general because they are ALWAYS cheap. It's the laziest thing one can do movie-wise, especially retcons. I don't want my favorite sci-fi movie franchise to go that sad route.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed