Started by Alien Freak, Oct 05, 2007, 09:11:02 PM

Author
Tremors (Read 112,207 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Extended interview with S.S. Wilson:

BISHOP 93

BISHOP 93

Has anyone seen Shrieker Island yet? I'm not expecting much after the last one.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: BISHOP 93 on Oct 20, 2020, 02:11:23 PM
Has anyone seen Shrieker Island yet? I'm not expecting much after the last one.

I just finished it. Yep, it is just as bad as the last two, basically.

Spoiler
By this point I think everybody knows much I love the Tremors franchise. Or, at least, how much I love the Tremors franchise as it was through to the release of 2004's Tremors 4: The Legend Begins.

After an eleven year hiatus, Tremors returned in 2015 with Tremors 5: Bloodlines. I couldn't have been more excited for the return of my favorite childhood movies... until I learned that Universal had forced the original creators, who had been behind every prior installment, out of the picture. What resulted was a bland retread with godawful new creature designs. Michael Gross returned at Burt, but he was the only familiar face in front of or behind the camera, and despite Michael Gross always giving it 100% when playing this character, the writing had him feeling more like the kind of characters that Burt was originally a rebuttal to than like Burt himself.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. After pre-ordering Bloodlines on Blu-ray and being so disappointed, I knew better than to make the same mistake when Tremors: A Cold Day in Hell released in 2018. I chose to watch it on Netflix, which wound up being the right choice, because A Cold Day in Hell wound up being more of the same; the terribly redesigned creatures were back, Burt's son Travis (a frustrating character in both conception and execution) was back, the original creative team was still gone, and there was Gross, still trying to put his all into the role, and having a blast doing so, despite everything else going against him.

I told myself that I would only continue to power through these modern sequels so long as Michael Gross remained part of them, if only for his enthusiasm for the series. That brings us to today's release of Tremors: Shrieker Island. Foregoing the Blu-ray release again, I booted up Netflix and gave this one a watch this morning. The Shriekers are back (and wouldn't you know, the redesigned creatures continue to falter in comparison to designs from nearly three decades ago), Don Michael Paul is back to direct, Burt's son Travis is thankfully gone (and his departure is perhaps the only thing that made this one a hair more watchable than the last two), and Michael Gross returns as Burt... for what turns out to be the final time.

At the end of this movie, Burt dies in a scene seeking to recreate the finale of the original Tremors. As a kid, I would have been devastated by this. These days I am also devastated, but more so over the fact that the franchise was ripped from the hands of the people that created it in order to make these three installments on the cheap instead.

The montage paying tribute to Burt that ran over the credits was nice, if only because it reminded me of how much fun I had growing up with those first four installments, and how much fun Gross had with the role over the past thirty years. With Michael Gross now out of the picture, the last thing keeping me tethered to these modern entries in the franchise has left the scene and I feel as though I can now finally cut ties cut ties from any future installments.
[close]

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

Watched Shrieker Island last night. God awful dialogue but still some fun creature moments. Considering that this seems to be a final chapter, hopefully a network or streaming service pick up the Blumhouse tv series reboot with Kevin Bacon.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

My copy of that actually just arrived yesterday.

Stitch

Stitch

I got the Arrow release. It's nice.

ace3g

ace3g

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: EsquireWhen I ask him if there are any roles he'd be interested in going back to revisit, Bacon says that he likes to leave the past in the past. But then he doubles back to correct himself: Tremors, baby. "It was one film of mine that I wanted to revisit that character. I don't look back at all. In fact, Tremors is the only movie of mine that I have rewatched since it's come out."

https://twitter.com/esquire/status/1394342063609614338

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

S.S. Wilson just shared this on Facebook:

QuoteThe folks at Graffiti with Punctuation - Unseen Hollywood have done a nice article on the never-used version of our script for Tremors 5. For years fans have sent questions about it to the Stampede website, especially about what our version of the script contained, so I'm happy to say there's now quite a detailed answer available.

Here's the article itself: https://graffitiwithpunctuation.com/opinion/fair-dinkum-terror-graboids-down-under

I haven't gotten to read just yet, but will be very shortly. I am so excited to have actual, real details on this version of the fifth film that never came to be.

EDIT:

Spoiler
Just read it all. It definitely seems seems like what's included here would have needed another draft or two to really iron out but by and large, I think that all of this is a whole lot better than what was actually made and released in 2015. You can totally see the elements from this version of the film that were kind of superficially plucked from this one and used much less effectively in Bloodlines. I wasn't expecting the baby Graboids from Tremors 4 to be the main enemy creature for the brunt of this one. Really fun stuff though, I would have loved if this had been a bit more polished and released instead of the three Don Michael Paul films.
[close]

ace3g

ace3g

32nd Anniversary

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

The boys of ADI!

Kradan

Kradan

Eeeeeeeeee !

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed