Alien 3 - William Gibson - Lost Screenplay

Started by felix, Jan 14, 2021, 01:24:54 PM

Author
Alien 3 - William Gibson - Lost Screenplay (Read 33,156 times)

Engineer

Since a big part of the conversation here is alternative alien3 stories/scripts, I thought I'd share this (link below). Found a graphic novel version of Vincent Ward's script online a while back but it's unfinished and I'm not sure they plan to finish it :-/  anyway, thought at least a few people here might be interested in checking it out:

http://vincentwardfilms.com/project/concepts/alien-3/graphic-novel-in-8-parts/part-1/

BlueMarsalis79

Pity it's not being finished.

felix

Synopsis is out.
https://bnccatalist.ca/ViewTitle.aspx?id=29966759

William Gibson's never-before-adapted screenplay for the direct sequel to Aliens, revealing the fates of Ripley, Newt, the synthetic Bishop, and Corporal Hicks. When the Colonial Marines vessel Sulaco docks with space station and military installation Anchorpoint, a new form of Xenomorph appears. Written by Hugo Award-winning novelist and "Queen of Cyberpunk" Pat Cadigan, based on Gibson's never-produced first draft.

The Sulaco—on its return journey from LV-426—enters a sector controlled by the "Union of Progressive Peoples," a nation-state engaged in an ongoing cold war and arms race. U.P.P. personnel board the Sulaco and find hypersleep tubes with Ripley, Newt, and an injured Hicks. A Facehugger attacks the lead commando, and the others narrowly escape, taking what remains of Bishop with them.

The Sulaco continues to Anchorpoint, a space station and military installation the size of a small moon, where it falls under control of the military's Weapons Division. Boarding the Sulaco, a team of Colonial Marines and scientists is assaulted by a pair of Xenomorph drones. In the fight Ripley's cryotube is badly damaged. It's taken aboard Anchorpoint, where Ripley is kept comatose. Newt and an injured Corporal Hicks are awakened, and Newt is sent to Gateway Station on the way to Earth. The U.P.P. sends Bishop to Anchorpoint, where Hicks begins to hear rumors of experimentation—the cloning and genetic modification of Xenomorphs.

The kind of experimentation that could yield a monstrous hybrid, and perhaps even a Queen.

BlueMarsalis79

Genuinely looking forward to it because of the Cyberpunk experience.

skhellter

skhellter

Yeah sounds like Pat isn't changing much from the script (at least as far as the opening events).

expecting all the alien related stuff to be high tier fun nonsense
but hopefully she'll punch up the writing in regards to Hicks and Bishop (and the UPP commando)

Main problem of those drafts was that there were no really interesting central characters (at least, that's the main complain among people who aren't addicted to cinemasins level pedantry.)

I get that Gibson wanted to return to the "ensemble cast of working class people dealing with horrible things while being manipulated by a big Company"
but.. that's not what i want from Alien anymore especially after how Aliens (and the actual Alien3) were so character-focused.

Corporal Hicks

Nightmare Asylum

Isn't that Worrall concept art from the Vincent Ward version of Alien 3, though? Or do I have that mixed up? :D

Engineer

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 22, 2021, 06:14:24 PM
Isn't that Worrall concept art from the Vincent Ward version of Alien 3, though? Or do I have that mixed up? :D

Yup
Good catch!
But it's still an awesome cover! I love it! Just not the yellow lol

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

That piece was also used at least twice, from what I remember, in the 40 Years art book.

Kinda bummed that they didn't commission something representative of Gibson's Alien 3 for the cover. That being said, this book is definitely on my radar; I'm quite curious to see how the draft is translated into prose.

It would also be pretty neat if Ward's script got this novelization treatment, while they're at it.

Engineer

One of Titan's editors commented on it...

This book has a complex history. We chose Pat Cadigan because of her connection to cyberpunk, the subgenre William Gibson made famous. She had the good fortune of working with a draft of the script that's never been adapted. We looked at a variety of cover designs, and chose the Mike Worrall illustration because it was a variant on the Xenomorph that, like the screenplay, hadn't been produced. It also lent itself to a high-concept design. Ultimately the goal was to give Alien fans something unlike what they might have in their libraries.

Nightmare Asylum

That's a very fair rationale. I do look forward to checking out this adaptation.

Engineer

Yea I thought so too.

Now I'm curious if they chose the yellow background as a reference to the yellow alien3 blu ray cover or if that's just a coincidence lol

KiramidHead

At least they didn't use the sheep alien with a face on its ass.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: KiramidHead on Apr 22, 2021, 07:55:13 PM
At least they didn't use the sheep alien with a face on its ass.

Alternatively, they should adapt Ward's script and give us even more sheep Alien with a face on its ass.

Kradan

I don't think ass-face is really necessary but I would genuinely love to see sheep Alien realised in some form

Spoiler
>:( >:( >:( !!! Just give me Ward's draft adaptation, goddamit !!!  >:( >:( >:(
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed