‘Then Some Other Bullshit Happens’ – Walter Hill and David Giler’s Alien 2 Storynotes

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 23, 2020, 05:19:45 PM

Author
‘Then Some Other Bullshit Happens’ – Walter Hill and David Giler’s Alien 2 Storynotes (Read 4,742 times)

Corporal Hicks

In a franchise where Alien 3 exists, it's easy for films with less complicated narrative developments to be seen as having a simple journey. But what we might tend to forget is that there are countless pitches and treatments that are never heard of outside of studio executives, a point that was re-iterated to us recently in our interview with screenwriter Alex Litvak who shared the various pitches and attempts he'd made in an effort to get Predator 3, and then a 4, put into production.

Just think of all those Alien 5 and Predator 3 pitches and treatments that are probably locked away in a vault at 20th Century Studios! But sometimes we do hear about some of those pitches or treatments. Back in 2019 I wrote a piece on the Alien 2's that never happened, talking about all the possible directions that we heard about that the Alien sequel could have gone.

While James Cameron's Aliens had a fairly straight forward narrative development, with the details from his treatment to finished script remaining largely consistent – with some interesting could-have-beens – the storynotes that Walter Hill and David Giler had handed the writer/director were a fair bit different!

Click here to continue reading the full article!

Make sure you stick with Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest news and content on all things Alien and Predator! You can follow us on FacebookTwitter, Instagram and YouTube to get the latest on your social media walls. You can also join in with fellow Alien and Predator fans on our forums!

Corporal Hicks

KiramidHead

"The Planet of the Spotted Dick..." :laugh:

razeak

More evidence Alien was the perfect storm of everyone involved and the timing.

oduodu

so fox was literally sold lock stock and barrel. I thought it was only the management that was changed not ownership. what on earth happened that made it necessary to sell the company?  I mean that pretty drastic isn't it? thanks Corporal. nice article.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: oduodu on Oct 25, 2020, 06:11:42 PM
so fox was literally sold lock stock and barrel. I thought it was only the management that was changed not ownership. what on earth happened that made it necessary to sell the company?  I mean that pretty drastic isn't it? thanks Corporal. nice article.

Fox went up for sale, Disney was the highest bidder and thus, Disney now owns the entirety 20th Century Fox Studios. That means FX, Searchlight, Fox's stake in Hulu, all of their in-development projects (like the Avatar sequels), the entire backlog, the whole shebang.

Immortan Jonesy

Kradan

Quote from: razeak on Oct 25, 2020, 04:07:14 PM
More evidence Alien was the perfect storm of everyone involved and the timing.

Isn't article about Aliens though ?

oduodu

oduodu

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Oct 25, 2020, 06:19:11 PM
Quote from: oduodu on Oct 25, 2020, 06:11:42 PM

Fox went up for sale, Disney was the highest bidder and thus, Disney now owns the entirety 20th Century Fox Studios. That means FX, Searchlight, Fox's stake in Hulu, all of their in-development projects (like the Avatar sequels), the entire backlog, the whole shebang.

hi nightmare asylum

I was referring to this quote from the full article:

when 20th Century Fox was purchased by Marc Rich and Marvin Davis, the new management had had no interest in working on anything that the previous CEO Alan Ladd had been interested in

end quote.

was it because Allan Ladd left? did the owners of fox sell to new owners between alien and aliens? what was the reason for that?

son_of_kane

I shall be eternally grateful to Alan Ladd Jr. He greenlit Alien and Star Wars, and the production company he formed after he left Fox was behind Blade Runner. He was also the one who suggested that Ripley should be a woman, which led to Sigourney getting the role. He was a visionary.

oduodu

Quote from: son_of_kane on Oct 26, 2020, 02:18:09 PM
I shall be eternally grateful to Alan Ladd Jr. He greenlit Alien and Star Wars, and the production company he formed after he left Fox was behind Blade Runner. He was also the one who suggested that Ripley should be a woman, which led to Sigourney getting the role. He was a visionary.

unbelievable that the new owners didn't want anything to do with him. what was the name of his production company?

oduodu

https://books.google.co.za/books?id=gRk4ZnFyQrAC&pg=PA107&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=2#v=onepage&q&f=false

check out this from page 182 is osme history from fox. seems alan ladd and co wanted to leave after disputes over payments and increses ext. as they feel they were warranted to it for the sucesses they had. when they left it seeems investors also left and the company went broke or suffered at leat.

please correct me if i am wrong.

T Dog

Quote from: son_of_kane on Oct 26, 2020, 02:18:09 PM

That's something I think about sporadically. Someone should interview him about these things specifically or do a doc on him.

Corporal Hicks

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed