Fan Favourite Alex White Returns With New Novel, Alien: Into Charybdis!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 03, 2020, 03:53:38 PM

Author
Fan Favourite Alex White Returns With New Novel, Alien: Into Charybdis! (Read 96,563 times)

HuDaFuK

Got the full set, including the Trident ones, although admittedly I only have those because the only copy of that first Dark Horse issue I ever found for sale was bundled with the rest of Volume 1.

Ironically a bunch of the Volume 2 issues I bought shipped from the US.

426Buddy

Yeah I haven't even bothered with Volume 1, I've never seen them available anywhere.

Engineer

Quote from: 426Buddy on Apr 05, 2021, 07:53:41 PM
Mine are definitely not in good condition  :laugh: they're not horrible but a long way from mint.  Found most of them on mycomicshop.com between 2016-2018.

I have still never been able to find issue 22 though  :-\

My white whale lol

I've got volume 2, issue 22 :-)

I don't have any issues from volume 1. All of mine are from volume 2: issues 1, 9, 10, 11, 12, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 21 and 22.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: 426Buddy on Apr 05, 2021, 09:34:10 PMYeah I haven't even bothered with Volume 1, I've never seen them available anywhere.

The last issue of Volume 1, the one Dark Horse did (#17), is worth trying to get. There's an interesting piece about the development of Alien 3 in it, including all the directors and scripts that were attached. But like I said, I only ever saw the one copy for sale and I had to get all of Volume 1 to get it. Otherwise the earlier Trident issues are a bit pointless if you already have the comics, there's nothing else in them.

I never had any trouble getting the final issue of the run (#22). I know publication figures were well down by then though. Guess I just got lucky and there happened to be one available when I got into buying them. Anyway, happy hunting. If you wanna know what's in it, have a look here.

Every time the subject of this magazine comes up I get sad that it petered out like it did :( It was so good while it was going.

Mister T

I read it the day it was released.  It was ok.  Not fantastic, not terrible; just ok.  I've read EVERY Alien universe book that's been published (though not the comics - I've never read a comic in my life and I'm 45) and this is definitely on the better side.  Cold forge was a little better, I think.  And as far as authors go, I prefer Tim Lebbons storytelling voice.

I'm not sad to have paid retail for this book.  It was a one sitting read for me (medically retired army veteran with limited mobility), and it kept me entertained, though not enthralled.

Corporal Hicks

Another push back. Apparently the hard-back is April 23rd, and the paperback is Feb 2022 now. Wtf is going on with this book's release outside the States.  :o

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 09, 2021, 05:42:25 AM
Another push back. Apparently the hard-back is April 23rd, and the paperback is Feb 2022 now. Wtf is going on with this book's release outside the States.  :o

That's so bizarre, is the audiobook unavailable to you guys as well? Are they trying to do a 4-26 cross promotion thing to make a big splash since the merger? CBS/Paramount was leaning hard into their ST First Contact day this year. I'm sure that May the 4th will be replete with High Republic stuff. In honor of the new dystopia, welcome to the era corporate holidays all around!

Xiggz456

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 09, 2021, 05:42:25 AM

Isn't Titan a British company? Really weird that they keep pushing the release back like that. Also, Infiltrator is releasing April 20th so hopefully that doesn't push back its release as well.

Corporal Hicks

That's the thing. Doesn't look like Infiltrator is going to be effected. I've already got a copy on my shelf. Wonder if it's something to do with the hardback printers.

SpaceKase

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 10, 2021, 03:26:08 PM
That's the thing. Doesn't look like Infiltrator is going to be effected. I've already got a copy on my shelf. Wonder if it's something to do with the hardback printers.

Aw man, bury the lead why don't ya? What's the verdict on Infiltrator?  On a scale of Isolation (novel) to Cold Forge, where are we at?

A bit north of Prototype or a bit south?

Corporal Hicks

No verdict yet I'm afraid. Been reading Charybdis.

BlueMarsalis79

It's not out for another ten days here.

Corporal Hicks

Yeah, the retailer got it earlier.

[cancerblack]

Since this is the active Alex White thread I'll post here.

Got some audiobooks, and started with The Cold Forge since it gets such rave reviews.

Honestly, I'm not feeling it. I suspect already knowing most of the science/worldbuilding before going in has diminished it somewhat, but it's more than that. So far it feels like there's only two "real" characters (you know which two I mean) while everyone else are just props or shadows. Possibly appropriate given that both "real" characters are psychopathic to greater or lesser extents, but it's not much fun to sit through.

"Patrick Bateman in space" is a fun idea for the franchise in theory, but frankly I'm already over Dorian and his gimmick, and I'm really struggling with Blue on several levels. If this were a physical book and not an audio file, I think I'd have given up on it by now.

Kradan

Man, I'm shocked. I myself felt that book was a little bit over-hyped but still enjoyed it a lot

Spoiler
Does TQ know about your feelings ?
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed