Alien/Predator Novel Reviews

Started by Hudson, Aug 19, 2014, 04:55:43 PM

Author
Alien/Predator Novel Reviews (Read 70,244 times)

SiL

SiL

I still think Berserker would make an excellent movie, and is a great way to not need to add new, bigger, badder Aliens while still telling a new and potential incredibly stressful story.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I love Berserker but it does kind of fall into the Aliens are insects line of storytelling that some fans hate.

But in the movies at least we haven't seen the unrelenting tsunami of aliens like the EU has portrayed for decades. 

SiL

SiL

That can be massaged out, though. The setup of it - and Tribes - is perfect for some nightmarish shit. Iron out the wrinkles and you're set.

Gentleman Death

I read Beserker almost 2 years ago and don't remember much of it at all. So since I've the luxury, I'll read the novels in the order you suggested.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: SiL on Feb 16, 2022, 03:19:42 AM
That can be massaged out, though. The setup of it - and Tribes - is perfect for some nightmarish shit. Iron out the wrinkles and you're set.

I think Tribes is the better story, but I personally liked Berserker better.  At least the novelization.  SD Perry brought life to the convicts and it felt real banter between them and the crew.  And just being a handful of you and massive amounts of Aliens trying to get at you non stop with a malfunctioning "tank" as your only hope is an interesting idea. 

SiL

SiL

Yeah, and I'm definitely talking the novel - the comic was pretty disappointing by comparison. Not bad, but the novel breathed new life into it

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

The only Batam Aliens novel I remember actively disliking was Alien Harvest. Just couldn't get on with that one at all. Hated the characters, found the story incredibly boring and disliked the prose. Otherwise they were at least entertaining.

The Predator novels from them I really never got into though. I didn't enjoy Nathan Archer's writing at all.

Gentleman Death

Finished AvP: Prey and I enjoyed it. I've never read any of the predator comics and was always hesitant to get into the novels themselves but I'd say it was a fun read.

I can see how people like Machiko as she's a pretty solid character. I wasn't sure how I'd like the Predator "view" but found I didn't hate it.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it all plays out wiith the next two.

Gentleman Death

AvP Hunters World (2.5/5)

This started off pretty decent but by the end, I was rolling my eyes with dialogue and overall direction this book went.

I like the concept of the Hunters World and even had a Jurassic park type of feel to it for me. But once the book introduced aliens modified by cyborg type genetics, who can shoot guns occasionally....kinda started losing me there.

I wasn't really feeling Machikos character mid point through this novel as well. She started saying things like "old chum" and was acting nothing like her character from the first novel.

This book just wasn't doing much for me unfortunately.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

HP and War are like 1a  or 1b novels.  Of the old Bantam novels, HP was the only one that was original and not based on a DH comic.  I also think it was the worst. 

Gentleman Death

Gentleman Death

Quote from: Kimarhi on Mar 26, 2022, 11:12:54 PM
HP and War are like 1a  or 1b novels.  Of the old Bantam novels, HP was the only one that was original and not based on a DH comic.  I also think it was the worst.

Does War explain Machikos "betrayal" of the predators and why she no longer was with them? Because in HP it was mentioned a few times but never explained...

Kradan

Kradan

I didn't read the novelisation but IIRC in War comic Machicko just got tired of constantly dealing with Predators' bullshit

SiL

SiL

She realises she'll only be tolerated, never accepted.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Kimarhi on Mar 26, 2022, 11:12:54 PMHP and War are like 1a  or 1b novels.  Of the old Bantam novels, HP was the only one that was original and not based on a DH comic.

It wasn't based on a comic, but the short comic Aliens vs. Predator 2 (later collected as War #0) is adapted as a chapter in both the Hunter's Planet and War novels.

I went into Hunter's Planet only knowing it through Hicks' (very) negative (old) review, and as such I was honestly quite pleasantly surprised. It's not great, but I didn't think it was anything like awful either. I think I ended up enjoying it about as much as War, if only because the latter was so disappointing after Prey and especially the absolutely excellent Berserker.

BlueMarsalis79

I honestly think everything with Machiko actively involved with them was always a mistake and ultimately sullied people's idea of her actual characterisation somewhat. And replaced it with a teenage boy's fantasy both visually and conceptually.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed