Alien/Predator Novel Reviews

Started by Hudson, Aug 19, 2014, 04:55:43 PM

Author
Alien/Predator Novel Reviews (Read 70,506 times)

SiL

SiL

I had no idea he was in it until this thread too.

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

The back cover Blurb prominently states that he's back.

SiL

SiL

So it do.

Descriptions I'd been reading just kept mentioning "an unexpected ally."

SM

SM

Me too.

If that's the case, the publisher spoiled it and not Tichinde.

Apologies.

Tichinde

Tichinde

It's all good. In the future I'll be more careful.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Should be...

Perfect-Organism

Spoiler
  Alan?  Alan?   :laugh:
[close]

Corporal Hicks

For many years now, yes. Have you never seen that?  :o

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

To be fair, the only official release I can think of off-hand that mentions it before this book is the Predator 2 novelisation, and that's a bitch to get.

It's also in the first film's script, but take that as you will given that it didn't make the film.

Gentleman Death

Finished Aliens DNA War...wtf did I just read!? Hands down this was the worst alien book I've read so far. The characters are beyond horrible (Rory and Bonnies conversations were quite cringe worthy) from how they acted to talking was just plain hard to read.

I don't mind that the author tried something different with the aliens and facehuggers, but I can't stand behind the rolling or flying aspect.

The PPs were interesting until they weren't. Ok, so they hunt and kill anything on the planet that isn't native. So, in order to get by two of these machines from killing his group, the main character throws alien body parts at the PPs in order for them to start firing at each other, ultimately destroying them!? The things cost millions of dollars and are supposed to be top of the line, yet they get a little alien dna on them and they go stupid? You'd think with the amount of traveling and destruction, there'd be some dna spray that'd hit the machine at some point...

The big reveal wasn't that all surprising and I'm not sure why the scientists just told them the real reason why the aliens are acting different, it wasn't top secret material or anything.

Plus there's a random bat type creature named buttercup who belongs to the most annoying character I've read for this series named Bonnie.

The scene where they find the huts in the beginning and the stealth suits they wore, were the only cool things about it...

I had a really hard time with this one and barely made it through...I might take a break after this before moving onto Cauldron.

SM

SM

I rate DNA War above Cauldron.  ;)

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Gentleman Death on Aug 12, 2020, 06:25:04 AM
I might take a break after this before moving onto Cauldron.

Quote from: SM on Aug 12, 2020, 07:09:54 AM

Word of the day is - reassuring

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

As I've mentioned before, I struggle to separate DNA War and Cauldron.

Cauldron is absolutely a book of two halves. I'm spoiling nothing in saying its set on two separate ships - I thought everything that happened on one of them was fantastic, whereas everything that happened on the other was mostly crap (and got worse and worse as the novel went on). It has some genuinely excellent moments in it, but they're few and far between.

I found DNA War to be more consistent overall, but there was nothing particularly special in it and the bad/wtf bits in it were way worse than anything in Cauldron.

In general, all of these DH Press Aliens books start OK but sooner or later fall off a cliff.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 10, 2020, 01:21:02 PM
For many years now, yes. Have you never seen that?  :o

Actually no I have not.  I only follow Predator stuff very casually and occasionally.  I find it hilarious that Dutch's first name is Al.  "Hey everyone, Al says for us to get to the chopper", just doesn't carry the Same name strength as we're used to in "Dutch".

Gentleman Death

Gentleman Death

Quote from: Kradan on Aug 12, 2020, 08:05:07 AM
Quote from: Gentleman Death on Aug 12, 2020, 06:25:04 AM
I might take a break after this before moving onto Cauldron.

Quote from: SM on Aug 12, 2020, 07:09:54 AM

Word of the day is - reassuring

Oh lord....

Oh f**k...same author for Cauldron...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed