Alien/Predator Novel Reviews

Started by Hudson, Aug 19, 2014, 04:55:43 PM

Author
Alien/Predator Novel Reviews (Read 70,462 times)

Samhain13

Samhain13

Out of those ones, I have soft spot for Dna War for whatever reason, so its my favorite after that its Criminal Enterprize.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Oct 22, 2019, 08:37:36 PM
That book's insanely expensive for some reason.

Original Sin? I got it through the Omnibus Volume 5 and it was quite cheap. Amazon even had it available on Brazil, cheap shipping too, that was a first. Its one of my least favorites though.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Oct 22, 2019, 08:37:36 PM
That book's insanely expensive for some reason.

That's odd. I picked up an original copy off ebay a couple of years ago for like 3 bucks.

Dang thing was basically brand new.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Samhain13 on Oct 22, 2019, 10:02:22 PMOriginal Sin? I got it through the Omnibus Volume 5 and it was quite cheap.

The omnibus is cheap, original copies seem to go for a fortune, which I find strange.

I get why No Exit and South China Sea are so expensive - being the last books from DH they probably weren't printed in great quantities, much like Berserker from Bantam, original copies of which also fetch a premium. But there doesn't seem to be any logical reason why Original Sin should cost so much more than the rest.

I've often wondered whether its status as the only official Resurrection sequel might have something to do with it.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

After another break I'm back on the franchise novelisations, starting with the only one I'd not read before - The Predator. I thought it was thoroughly average, although purely by virtue of not including the two dumbest things in the movie - the idea of a Predator invasion as a result of global warming, and that final scene - it was automatically an improvement on the film. It probably goes without saying, but I really think they dropped the ball in having Morris rework it in line with the film. Would've made for an infinitely more interesting read if they'd stuck with Golden's original draft.

And finally, I've made a start on AVP. Only a couple of chapters in but I'm already reminded what a great job Cerasini does with it, I really enjoy his style. Almost makes me wish he'd accepted Requiem (almost).

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

I have read the avp novel, I think there was five predators in that maybe, also another Predator besides Scar gets facehugged but I think it gets killed. Its been ages since I read it so I can't remember the details.
I think Marc was dealing with an earlier script or draft or something.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Yep, there's a couple of extra Predators who get pnwd by the Aliens. One of them gets pinned down by Grid so a Facehugger can jump him (pretty cool scene tbh), then later when Lex and Scar are fleeing the pyramid they bump into him. He bursts right in front of them, but Scar immediately blows him and his darling new baby away.

The AVP novel adaptation is definitely a solid read. Lots of extra detail and motivation for the characters, especially Sebastian and Weyland. It doesn't really fix any of the faults with the story but it's a good novelisation. Plus it reinstates the kind of violence that's conspicuously absent from the film.

Also read Predator: Cold War over the last few days. Found this kinda boring tbh. The story had real potential but the Predators are barely in it and when they do show up they're there for maybe a page or two before either disappearing again or being killed. Not an especially bad book, just incredibly dull.

Corporal Hicks

Honestly, of the old Predator novels I only really enjoyed Concrete Jungle. I read Big Game most recently and was really disappointed by that. Felt so phoned in.

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

Really?! I thought "Big Game" was the best of the Predator comic novelizations. I wasn't a fan of Nathan Archer's writing though for both "Concrete Jungle" and "Cold War". Whereas Sandy Schofield did a solid job on both "Big Game" and "Rogue".

Kradan

Kradan

I felt like Concrete Jungle's novelisation was pretty depressing story. In a good way.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Xiggz456 on Dec 30, 2019, 01:57:12 PMWhereas Sandy Schofield did a solid job on both "Big Game" and "Rogue".

I'm kinda looking forward to that purely because I enjoyed Rogue so much.

The Old One

The Old One

I've got to give a number of the older ones a look.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

DNA War

There was so much random, bizarre bullshit in this I feel like I should've hated it, but for some reason I ended up quite enjoying it in the end. Really liked Carey's prose, and I dug the main character. The only really excruciatingly dumb part was when
Spoiler
the f*cking Facehuggers started flying like a flock of swallows :laugh:
[close]
Most of the other wtf stuff was kinda half-explained in the end.

That said, I can't recall the last time I read a book with this many obvious goofs. Carey really failed at keeping track of the numbers of anything in it - first there are 6 Marines on the ship, then there are 8, then there are only 5 etc. The worst mistake was when one character died only for them to be mentioned as still being alive a couple of pages later.

SM

SM

That happened in Sea of Sorrows too - but there was more people to keep track of in that one.

The Old One

The Old One

As someone who's read most of the novels now I imagine, any recommendations?

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

My two cents - of the old Bantam books, Rogue and Berserker are great.

Not sure I'd recommend any of the DH Press Aliens books I've read yet :laugh: But Predator: Flesh and Blood was a really solid read. Still working my way through these.

As for the newer Titan novels, I'm pretty sure you've already read the ones I'd recommend.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed