Aliens: Infiltrator - Weston Osche

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 16, 2019, 07:40:23 AM

Author
Aliens: Infiltrator - Weston Osche (Read 64,348 times)

Xenomrph

I'm okay with how the old EU has handled it - there are very, very few sapient races, some of which humanity doesn't even know about, others which are extinct.

BlueMarsalis79

That's fair enough I just don't want it to turn into Mass Effect much as I love it, Rage War came close enough as it is, by basically plagiarizing in my opinion. 

Immortan Jonesy

The Xenomorph-human-Yautja beings were albinos.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Trash Queen on Apr 21, 2021, 12:30:42 AM
That's fair enough I just don't want it to turn into Mass Effect much as I love it, Rage War came close enough as it is, by basically plagiarizing in my opinion. 
I'm with you on that, I don't want Alien to be like Star Trek or Babylon 5.

The Cruentus

This novel actual lifts information from our wiki, at least from my quick peruse of it. I haven't gone through it all properly yet so I don't know if there is any more.

Spoiler

This part is from our wikia: Once securely in place, the Facehugger rapidly renders the host unconscious using a cyanose-based paralytic chemical,[9] administered simply through skin contact. The delivery mechanism is dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO),[8]

This is from the novel: "Once over the mouth of its target, the face-hugger controls the host by rendering it unconscious using a cyanose-based paralytic chemical similar to dimethyl sulfoxide, administered simply through skin contact."

[close]

Xenomrph

Yikes, that's not a good look.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: The Cruentus on Apr 21, 2021, 04:22:35 PM
This novel actual lifts information from our wiki, at least from my quick peruse of it. I haven't gone through it all properly yet so I don't know if there is any more.

Spoiler

This part is from our wikia: Once securely in place, the Facehugger rapidly renders the host unconscious using a cyanose-based paralytic chemical,[9] administered simply through skin contact. The delivery mechanism is dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO),[8]

This is from the novel: "Once over the mouth of its target, the face-hugger controls the host by rendering it unconscious using a cyanose-based paralytic chemical similar to dimethyl sulfoxide, administered simply through skin contact."

[close]

Fortunately, it doesn't appear too, too egregious. You'll have to see if there's more.

Hey Cruentus, quickly off topic while I'm thinking about it, if you guys can change the pics for Predator creators Jim & John Thomas on Xenopedia, that would be great. You have pics up of the El Pinto twins with the same names.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Mostly good with certain bright spots, but I also think tawdry in places, interested in everyone's thoughts.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

You do realise you can edit posts, right? Instead of deleting them and immediately replacing them with a new one that basically says the same thing.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I know.

Spoiler
I am not a fan of the Alien being affected by the Pathogen either even with the caveat of radiation and others, it is unnecessarily overly messy in my opinion when you can get similar results from either a Neomorph or Abomination or simply from the Alien's own DNA Reflex.
[close]

Local Trouble

Spoiler
Alien Theory posted his review of this book yesterday.
[close]

Immortan Jonesy

That review could mean an increase in sales

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 22, 2021, 09:45:45 PM

Spoiler
Alien Theory posted his review of this book yesterday.
[close]
Who's review did he plagiarize?

Local Trouble

Good question.  Did The Cruentus post a review of it yet?

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: Trash Queen on Apr 22, 2021, 09:00:40 PM
Various spoilers for The Cold Forge, Into Charybdis, Prototype and chiefly Infiltrator:

The Pathogen:
Spoiler
In it defined as a substance that enhances the already present features of something, I can understand that particular interpretation in part, it does that true but it always carries features of the titular Alien with no biomechanics and light skin as opposed to dark skin in it's Neomorphs or Abominations it creates.

It gets this mostly right although I do not believe the Pathogen ought to affect the titular Alien itself, but I do hope that like in Prototype, it is an idea that only applies to the specific circumstances of Infiltrator's story because of the radiation.

Marvel's Alien's strange in that it is apparently exploring identical ideas simultaneously, but both being over the top in approach, and also shying away from tackling the ideas that the aforementioned do in full- and Cold Forge and Into Charybdis did best.
[close]

Similar concepts shared between Marvel's Alien and other recent stories:
Spoiler

Sapient Alien?
Into Charybdis actually tackles the idea whilst being both narratively and thematically appropriate for the character, and does not undermine Xenomorph XX121 to achieve this goal, make the Pathogen arbitrarily feature biomechanics to make it work, it laid the groundwork with Plagiarus Preapotens in The Cold Forge, and it certainly does not plagarise from Species.

Alien Telepathy?
Infiltrator actually tackles this as a major part of the plot progression, and does it in such a way that it is not a vision forced into the character's head at an arbitrary point in time of the author's choosing, but instead it is a subtle disquiet more befitting Xenomorph XX121. I'm all for going Silent Hill but only when it is earned. Using it as a one time thing to bait and switch the audience's about as far away from the enormous potential of this as it gets.

The Alpha?
Infiltrator also includes an "Alpha Alien" a albino Drone created through a combination of irradiation and the Pathogen.

But it is suggested it might just be a natural occurrence in appearance terms,  the Weaver for example, though brought into existence because of the absence of a "Alpha Alien" leader figure.

It is suggested this being with more sapience than normally expected also caused the aforementioned telepathy and it is something that appears more often in the, Queen and Empress etcetera, this may explain the naming convention of a "Alpha Alien" as a leader that's more intelligent and so carries a low level of telepathy with presumably the Queen or Empress having high levels of telepathy.
[close]

Reposting as it also pertains to this topic.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed