Jim and John Thomas suing Disney to reclaim Predator rights

Started by Kailem, Apr 16, 2021, 12:46:54 AM

Author
Jim and John Thomas suing Disney to reclaim Predator rights (Read 91,593 times)

TomT

TomT

Quote from: Drukathi on Apr 16, 2021, 12:49:17 PM
I think it is worth waiting for several years in order to get a good film that respects the viewer and the franchise, than get another exploitation film, which will cause a ton of hate and fail at the box-office, like its wbroken brothers.
I think it's been decades since the last good film in the franchise. I really think someone should take away both franchises from 20th Century Fox/Disney, they are absolutely incompetent and very very stupid, Fox managed to f up both franchises for decades and Disney's first moves are even worse. They shouldn't be anywhere near both Alien and Predator, someone else should take the reins.

SuperiorIronman

Quote from: XENOMORPHOSIS on Apr 16, 2021, 02:01:12 PM
My face when I read this.
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FlusteredWarlikeBats-size_restricted.gif

It's possible that Skulls could be scrapped. Hope what ever the outcome we can get some great quality Predator movies. Here's a question, in 2014 Ron Shusett and Dan OBannon's estate, Dan passed away in 2009 could have used to retain Alien, if the Predator rights revert it could mean they'll be no more Aliens vs Predator separating the two indefinitely.

It depends on who picks up the film rights. It doesn't mean that you couldn't get it if someone like Fox didn't negotiate (Fox doesn't get it but say Paramount does and they could do a deal which gets an AVP to happen) but all new projects would have to go through them (the Thomas brothers) and since we lack a crystal ball we don't know the nature of future deals or if Fox would even be allowed to proceed. Issue of course is that with everything starting at 0 come Saturday it's going to be a whole new era for the franchise. We simply don't know who is going to do what and with Disney looking to regain the rights it might remain with Fox anyways. It could even be like Godzilla where maybe the Thomas brothers don't want to do anything for 10 years. We wont know until tomorrow and for sure whatever Disney's stake in this is going to be until Disney goes through its litigation. 

Leemond84

Disney knows they got a cash cow on their hands and will do whatever it takes to retain it they know how valuable the franchise is and potential to crossover with Alien they ain't stupid, games, comics, merch and films they'll make the money once the right people are behind it. Look at it this way. The Superman battle was long and hard in the end The Segal estate won and they are still using Superman in Warner Bros films today. The writers prob just want a price of that sweet money pie they aren't stupid either both parties know Money talks

Enjoy

I can't picture the Thomas Brothers wanting to stop so many Native Americans from getting so much work on a movie. That would be cold. The original script of predator had a native american lead. Relax about that untill it becomes news, which I doubt ever will happen.

Stitch

The best thing that can happen is the Thomas brothers win the case, and get the rights back as per their initial contract. They then license the IP back to Disney for the release of the content that has been planned.

The likelihood of this is... Slim.

Kailem

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 16, 2021, 08:09:51 AM
I'm really conflicted about this. Selfishly, I don't want this to get in the way of Skulls, Hunting Grounds, the comic, the other stuff that's coming that hasn't been announced (there's a couple). And on top of that, it's the people working on those products that are going to suffer as well.

But on the other hand, Jim and John 100% deserve their dues. It's no secret most people prefer 1 and 2 (I still stand by Predators) so I'm sure plenty of people would love to see the franchise back in their hands. But Skulls' premise is too interesting to me, I don't want to see this get in the way of it.

Pretty much how I feel about it. I want the Thomas brothers to get paid, but I also don't want this to be another Friday the 13th situation were it puts the entire franchise in limbo indefinitely. It's been years since that one ground that to a halt with no sign of any progress being made.

And the bad thing is we may have already seen the first results of this with the comics being delayed. If it really is as bad as we fear then this could be the end of any more Hunting Grounds updates, comics, figures, and potentially shut down Skulls too. And yeah, that'd suck.

If it turns out we were only days away from getting a new map and Isabelle for Hunting Grounds, and the last ever fireteam update was an American football player, that's gonna be really crappy.

Samhain13

Quote from: Kailem on Apr 16, 2021, 03:13:12 PM
If it turns out we were only days away from getting a new map and Isabelle for Hunting Grounds, and the last ever fireteam update was an American football player, that's gonna be really crappy.

So my hate for that DLC can increase even more.

Kradan

Well, not something I was expecting to hear about today. Let's wait and see what happens next

Voodoo, you of all people should be the happiest boy - original creators are re-claiming their baby which means ? Yep, they're gonna ditch the ADI and make Predator great again !  ;D

Enjoy

Grim picture you paint. If we get some good predator films like the first two then great. If it shuts down everything and nothing comes after then ....?...what?huhwtf
Again, stopping production of a native american lead film in a sci fi first of it's kind, is cold.
I could care less about the video games and comics at this point. I am concernd about what I saw as  a good thing for a mistreated group or people being iced.so shitty.

Lost_Hunter

I never copped that one, seemed ridiculous. Haven't been on in months. Though I would like to get back on the horse. Do you think Illfonic has a new map up their sleeve?

Worst case scenario we loose the pipeline, best case we don't and we get some quality control on the franchise. The Predator is an intergalactic trophy hunter. There were no trophies taken in the last Movie or the AVP nonsense, that should not be a thing. Hoping this doesn't turn into a "Whoever wins, we lose" situation.

Kradan

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Apr 16, 2021, 12:21:45 PM
Indeed, I saw a tremendous amount of critics saying Predator 2 was lacking Arnold  ::)

As if it was a bad thing the movie did like a technical error or some like that smh.

Eh, that's just buncha bullshit. P2 is great

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kailem on Apr 16, 2021, 03:13:12 PM
And the bad thing is we may have already seen the first results of this with the comics being delayed.

In this kind of copyright battle, I believe a regular course of action is for the big company to rush something into production so it's harder for a judge to stop it, compared to putting a freeze on any future projects.

I still think that delay is the Penguin deal. Because otherwise, by that logic, they would have delayed pre-production on Skulls until November too (or later). And who says any of these legal issues will be resolved that specific November month to tell comic retailers November for Predator anyway? The more profitable Penguin deal starts October - and that's the month the other title Predator variant covers would come out, then November is the ongoing Predator title #1 premiere. I think the good bet is still on that causality. :)

And now it's all up to a Judge and if he/she issues an injunction or not. We'll see what happens to Skulls, toys, books, games, all of it. Fingers crossed it all can continue. 🤞

molasar

What situation will it be if the brothers win? Will they keep full rights to the story concept only or to everything with soundtrack and final Predator design included?

Let's say if somebody wants to profit on music or creature design but not using any space hunter concept or Predator name do they need the brothers' legal approval for it?

LiquidMonster

As Molasar stated below me, the brothers need to be careful here. I *highly* doubt they'd own the actual DESIGN of Predator which was from Stan Winston himself and I would presume NOT go to the brothers if they were to win. What a mess this is going to end up being.

Proteus

Quote from: Enjoy on Apr 16, 2021, 03:51:35 PM
Grim picture you paint. If we get some good predator films like the first two then great. If it shuts down everything and nothing comes after then ....?...what?huhwtf
Again, stopping production of a native american lead film in a sci fi first of it's kind, is cold.
I could care less about the video games and comics at this point. I am concernd about what I saw as  a good thing for a mistreated group or people being iced.so shitty.

Precisely. This one is going to hurt if filming is scrapped. But I wonder if they knew for awhile this would not fair well if they haven't announced casting so close to production start. It was either really secretive or they purposely avoided casting anyone yet because of the legal issues coming their way.

Man, I just really wanted this one to move forward. Sounded cool in my opinion, and Dan is a talented filmmaker.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed