Alien: Covenant Has Wrapped Filming!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 15, 2016, 09:53:32 AM

Author
Alien: Covenant Has Wrapped Filming! (Read 34,446 times)

Novak 1334

I've slated Prometheus time and time again.  Watched it again after about six months since the last viewing and I actually enjoyed it more.  It's not the horrible movie I thought it was.  It's not great, it has a lot of problems, but it's okay.  Everything I've seen so far for Covenant has got me excited, and I love that Weyland Yutani logo

Shasvre

I have pretty much avoided any info on this film so far, so it's going to be fun charting into the unknown once it hits cinemas.

Can't wait to see some footage though. :)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Valaquen on Jul 15, 2016, 01:53:04 PM
Off the top of my head: Alien shot from July '78 and wrapped in winter, err, October? But model shooting went on for months afterwards. I don't think Aliens took 10 months to shoot at all. 3 months is the norm, for a typical two hour picture.

Agreed, while Aliens certainly wasn't a smooth ride, a 10 month shoot would have put them way over budget. That 10 month figure probably includes pre-production and the visual effects work afterwards.

Thomas H.

60 to 90 days is the norm for bigger movies these days.

I, for one, am really looking forward to this movie. I'm a big Prometheus fan, equal to Alien/Aliens. I can't wait to find out how this will expand and connect those movies even more.

me

me

Odd that it took 3 months, a movie (not even the size of this) usually takes 5, right?  Hope this won't be a CG fest.

Corporal Hicks

Ridley is particularly meticulous these days and has it all planned out quite well. I wouldn't be too worried about it being 3 months. Prometheus was apparently filmed in 3 months (I honestly can't remember and am never too trusting of Wikipedia).

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: me on Jul 15, 2016, 07:51:17 PM
Odd that it took 3 months, a movie (not even the size of this) usually takes 5, right?  Hope this won't be a CG fest.

As Thomas H. said above, 3 months on principal photography is normal for a movie of this size.

There are of course always exceptions, Mad Max: Fury Road for example took over 4 months and then they still did a ton of re-shoots afterwards.

PRJ_since1990

Hey folks. Made a commentary regarding some of the articles over the last couple months that I found the most interesting! Take a look and let me know what you think!

XENOMORPHOSIS

After months of filming they have a lengthy post production, editing, adding cgi, adr, orchestrating the soundtrack, etc, the the marketing, teasers, trailers, promos to build up hype amoung the causal movie goers, all for a release in August of next year, possibly sooner or later domestically. The success of this film at the box office dictates whether they'll be any sequels completing a trilogy and linking to the events of the original Alien. Blomkamp and Sigourney will be busy with Gone World and the Avatar sequels so who know if they ever get to make their alternative Alien 3.

Scorpio

Extremely unlikely Covenant will bomb.  No Alien film has ever bombed at the box office.

windebieste

Even 'AvP-R' - critically considered to be the worst in the series - with its budget of $70m took over $170m.  Hardly a poor return on it's investment for Fox.  That also doesn't take into account DVD sales, NECA figures and any other merch, either. 

All 'ALIEN' movies have been a success for Fox.  You might want to consider critical success a different metric in itself but even if 'ALIEN: Covenant' is so bad it manages to teach your grandmother how to suck eggs through a straw, there's a good chance the follow up movie will go into production. 

You can bet Day One ticket sales alone are going to be strong on this item.

-Windebieste.

SiL

SiL

AvP took 170 on a 50-60 budget (making it the highest-grossing of all of the movies at the time, not adjusted for inflation), AvPR took 120 on a 40-50 budget.

windebieste

Oh, yeah. Sorry.  Got the movies I really care the most about mixed up*.  Won't happen again.  I promise.  :)

-Windebieste.

*lol.

BishopShouldGo

Well, this will be the most money Fox has ever spent on an Alien movie, even more expensive than Prometheus. But I'm certain it'll still make its money back, as the trailers will show it off as the spectacle it is, and plastering "From the director of Alien and The Martian" everywhere.

FiorinaFury161

FiorinaFury161

"In space, no one can hear Fox executives having a money fight."

:laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed