Sigourney Weaver new thought's on Alien 5

Started by The Ultimate Predator, Jun 02, 2014, 06:59:37 PM

Author
Sigourney Weaver new thought's on Alien 5 (Read 58,991 times)

Lemonade

Well, Transformers has big-budgeted special effects. Robots! And then the humor.

An Alien film would never be budgeted that high.

OpenMaw

Quote from: Lemonade on Jun 11, 2014, 03:34:04 AM
Uh no, Spaihts' idea was that the engineers had a hand in creating humanity.

He actually didn't say that in his script. Not exactly. The broader stroked version we got in Prometheus came from Lindelof. Spaights was much more scientifically literate in his take, humanity already existed when the Engineers came along and fiddled with us. That actually is much more plausible. 

Quote from: KiramidHead on Jun 11, 2014, 03:20:42 AM
I blame Spaihts as much or more than I blame Lindelof, to be frank. His big ideas were about different colored xeno eggs that produced different kinds of xenos. :laugh: And of course Ridley had to cut a bunch of scenes out that would have given the plot some more sanity.

Well, both the original draft and the film as shot/edited have some really great ideas, and some great scenes, and then they both just have some really dumb elements. I think the biggest thing with Spaights draft that doesn't work is some of the alien stuff just seems to happen because aliens need to be happening. The better film lies somewhere between the two versions of the story.

Lemonade

Yes, I know. "Had a hand in creating humanity" hahahahaha.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jun 11, 2014, 03:54:52 AMWell, both the original draft and the film as shot/edited have some really great ideas, and some great scenes, and then they both just have some really dumb elements.
As much as I want to love Prometheus, it's those dumb elements that just completely ruin it for me. In any other movie, I'd probably be able to forgive supposedly smart scientists doing really stupid shit to further the plot, but the impression Prometheus gives is that it's trying to be some deep, spiritual, intelligent spectacle, and the blatantly stupid stuff totally undermines that.

That and the fact they threw in the token chestbursting with something that's almost an Alien, but not quite, just because.

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jun 11, 2014, 03:17:21 AMI do question it. Severely. The character was laid to rest in 1992, and it should have stayed there.
I still marvel at the fact they had the balls to kill Ripley in Alien 3. I can't think of a single other blockbuster franchise that offed it's lead character after a bunch of films. If Weaver was at all involved in that decision it was a good one. (Until they arbitrarily undid it in the next film.)

SM

SM

Ripley suggested to Cameron that she wanted Ripley to die (amongst other things).  Which would've played into Ward's thinking as he and Fasano orginally had Brother John 'exorcise' the Alien out of Ripley.  It came up her throat and into him, leaving her alive and him to walk into the burning abbey.

OpenMaw

Quote from: SM on Jun 11, 2014, 08:20:49 AM
Ripley suggested to Cameron that she Ripley to die (amongst other things).

*Is picturing a fourth wall breaking moment between Ripley and Cameron*

Ripley: Please... Kill me.
Cameron: u wot?

SM

Which she effectively did in Alien3 when she looked right down the barrel of the camera asking Dillon - and the audience - to kill her.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SM on Jun 11, 2014, 08:20:49 AMRipley suggested to Cameron that she wanted Ripley to die (amongst other things).  Which would've played into Ward's thinking as he and Fasano orginally had Brother John 'exorcise' the Alien out of Ripley.  It came up her throat and into him, leaving her alive and him to walk into the burning abbey.
Yeah, I've read that. I actually think Ward's script is overrated. The wooden planet is cool but a bit daft, and beyond that there isn't much I like about it. He makes some really random and nonsensical changes to the Alien, like when it turns its skin into wood to hide, or a Chestburster pops out of the Abbot's head for... no reason.

I do like the bit where the monks in the khazi get it though. And obviously the creature's death was awesome enough to make it into the final film.

Local Trouble

Ward's script is self-indulgent and pretentious.

KiramidHead

I liked the heavy religious theme's in Wad's script, but the story telling was a complete mess.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed