Why were colonists send to lv426?

Started by nanison, Nov 21, 2021, 12:28:40 AM

Author
Why were colonists send to lv426? (Read 2,343 times)

nanison

nanison

Was it all a scheme? How did they not notice the derelict on such a small planet? How did they find out about the planet when the only ship that knew about it was the Nostromo?

These are probably old questions but I can't seem to remember the film answering them.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

My guess is that it was surveyed later and selected for colonization simply because it could be terraformed into a habitable planet.  The company co-financed the whole thing against mineral rights.

That doesn't mean they scanned every square inch of the surface first.  The derelict was probably next to impossible to detect due to thick cloud-cover and the mountainous terrain.

BlueMarsalis79

But how did they not notice the Derelict? It is a good question honestly, but the answer's that the film did not see technology getting to a point where you can easily photograph an entire planet, never mind it happening in the modern day.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Even if they bothered with the expense of placing satellites in orbit to photograph LV-426 through its pea soup atmosphere, the derelict could have easily been mistaken for a natural rock formation.

BlueMarsalis79

I suppose that's true, and it is "dead" as stated, in the Prometheus Art of the Film book.

SiL

SiL

"It looks like a rock" and "the signal was deactivated" are basically why the derelict was never discovered.

Xenomrph

It was also behind a mountain range and a good distance from the colony, if we're talking why it wasn't detected after the colonists made planetfall.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: nanison on Nov 21, 2021, 12:28:40 AM
How did they not notice the derelict on such a small planet?

They were dumbass colonists.

Kradan

Kradan

They even had to be saved from their virginity

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed