Scientific inaccuracies in Alien

Started by The Cruentus, Feb 05, 2021, 02:17:19 PM

Author
Scientific inaccuracies in Alien (Read 32,700 times)

SM

SM

Quote from: Predator@Alien on Mar 21, 2021, 10:07:26 AM
Okay, so we can assume that the visual is closer to reality in Prometheus. In Alien, we have a planet which seems too small next to its satellites. The distance of 1 790 000 km in the CMTM is realistic. So maybe it could work with the perspective, if we admit that we are really close to LV-426 we we see it... It's not really what we see in Alien...

SM, do you try to justify all of those errors or you think that the established laws of Alien are stronger than the laws of physics for a fictional world ?

First and foremost - respect the source material as much as possible.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Slavish attention to "the source material" without acknowledgement of context or other factors is a bit short-sighted.

SiL

SiL

"As much as possible", not slavishly.

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

And let us never forget, with its two hour rotation, Acheron only has an average 60 minutes of day and 60 minutes of night, so...

They mostly come out every other hour, mostly...

SM

SM

Depends on the position in its orbit.  The gas giant would provide a fair amount of 'daylight' when full.  It's only a slim crescent in the first flick.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SiL on Mar 22, 2021, 01:18:18 AM
"As much as possible", not slavishly.
In this case, same difference apparently.

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Quote from: SM on Mar 23, 2021, 01:31:28 AM
Depends on the position in its orbit.  The gas giant would provide a fair amount of 'daylight' when full.  It's only a slim crescent in the first flick.

Also depends on orbital tilt, of the moon and potentially of the planet making the Seasons of Calpamos a factor. Other factors inculde the eccentricity of those orbits, latitude of our heroes stomping grounds, and the moon's occlusion from Zeta 1 by the planet itself. But that all seemed a little wordy to drop in one go. Gotta love that wiggle room.

SM

SM

And all that too.

Though I don't think Zeta 1 is really going to factor into anything.

Latitude appears to be the southern hemisphere.

Sabres21768

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Mar 03, 2021, 12:23:46 AM
I don't remember if Sil or SM, but one of them knows the answer.
Funny enough, it was never expressly stated in the movie that the adult Alien had acid blood, only the facehugger.

That didn't happen until ALIENS.

SiL

SiL

It wasn't explicit in the final film, but was in the script.

Sabres21768

Quote from: SiL on Mar 23, 2021, 09:14:18 AM
True, but still...

Predator@Alien

Predator@Alien

And yes for the rotation, one more thing, LV-426 should look like the dwarf planet Haumea. With such a fast rotation, LV-426 should be flattened at the poles and bloated at the equator.

Zeta 1 is too far from Zeta 2 : 1,5 light-month. It look like to a very bright star from LV-426 but not really important compared to Zeta II and Calpamos.

Quote from: SM on Mar 23, 2021, 03:46:39 AM
Latitude appears to be the southern hemisphere.

Where did you find the source for this information ?
I imagine it's in the film okay, but precisely ?

SM

SM

One of Ash's screens in the science blister.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Sabres21768 on Mar 23, 2021, 09:06:54 AM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Mar 03, 2021, 12:23:46 AM
I don't remember if Sil or SM, but one of them knows the answer.
Funny enough, it was never expressly stated in the movie that the adult Alien had acid blood, only the facehugger.

That didn't happen until ALIENS.

Interesting though with the facehugger doing that no wonder they didn't shoot him
to the Alien to kill it.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SiL on Mar 23, 2021, 09:14:18 AM
I'm just curious, where was it in the script? I know the intent was always there, it was the explanation for why they couldn't just shoot the (presumably adult) Alien.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed