Scientific inaccuracies in Alien

Started by The Cruentus, Feb 05, 2021, 02:17:19 PM

Author
Scientific inaccuracies in Alien (Read 32,199 times)

windebieste

In terms of weight, the dropship would be expect to airlift the APC and return to the Sulaco if the mission had gone well. The APC would weigh more than than the Queen. So, it's really not an issue

Notwithstanding that, the dropship is fanciful at best. It breaks so many laws of physics, it sits just outside of Star Wars levels of daydream technology.

As a cinematic experience, it's a thrill ride and visually a cool and convincing looking vehicle. In the real world, however, the dropship is an engineering failure and would not function as depicted in the movie. It's just not possible.

-Windebieste.

Local Trouble

Yeah, I doubt Bishop bothered to load it with all the missiles and other ordnance that the first dropship had.  It would therefore be considerably lighter even with the queen, but even if Bishop noticed the weight change he may have figured it was just due to the rubble that the frontal landing gear yanked with it.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: oduodu on Feb 15, 2021, 08:24:14 PM
i always wondered how a queen gets on a vtol aircraft probably weighing 2 3 tons and the android piloting the aircraft doesnt notice that the thrust had to significantly increase to compemsate for it.  to boot ot completely shifts the centre of gravity ro the back of tthe dropship.

oh sorry my bad that was aliens.

All fair points above, also considering everything was exploding and going to shits around them at the time, he could have not noticed, his priority being getting the f**k out of here.

oduodu

oduodu

all fair points.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

golly people do you all really spend this much time and energy over pondering about certain details that are so far from the movies' intentions and soul as something possibly can?

It's one thing to argue about artistic merit, or relative artistic insertion or whatnot, another thing is arguing about scientific inaccuracies within art that doesn't bother being 100% scientifically accurate because -- hold on -- otherwise it would not exist

Alien, Aliens and whatnot are pieces of art, and specifically cinema. They don't employ real world rules all the time - quite in fact they go against them in more than one way, and this is true for literally every single piece of fiction that has ever been made, bar none

SiL

SiL

... are you new here?

Immortan Jonesy

Perfect time to found the scientifically accurate horror genre  :laugh:

But yeah, it's art and a fictional world that despite having similarities with the real world doesn't lose its imaginary world condition.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: SiL on Feb 23, 2021, 10:24:54 PM
... are you new here?
hi im 12 and wuht is this?

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Omegamorph on Feb 23, 2021, 10:17:54 PM
golly people do you all really spend this much time and energy over pondering about certain details that are so far from the movies' intentions and soul as something possibly can?

It's one thing to argue about artistic merit, or relative artistic insertion or whatnot, another thing is arguing about scientific inaccuracies within art that doesn't bother being 100% scientifically accurate because -- hold on -- otherwise it would not exist

Alien, Aliens and whatnot are pieces of art, and specifically cinema. They don't employ real world rules all the time - quite in fact they go against them in more than one way, and this is true for literally every single piece of fiction that has ever been made, bar none

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Feb 05, 2021, 10:17:41 PM
I assume we're not going to bother with the FTL and magic gravity?

But everyone seems fine with these conceits.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Feb 23, 2021, 10:58:45 PM
But everyone seems fine with these conceits.
sound in space

biocompatibility with humans (pre-Prometheus, which is still 30+ years of people being fine with this...)

and so on and so forth

Immortan Jonesy

There's some paranormal activity going on in Alien 3.

Huggs

Huggs

The solution was re-education.

BlueMarsalis79

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Trash Queen on Feb 23, 2021, 11:40:24 PM
Quote from: Omegamorph on Feb 23, 2021, 10:50:32 PM
Quote from: SiL on Feb 23, 2021, 10:24:54 PM
... are you new here?
hi im 12 and wuht is this?

I don't know if I wanna go 'awww' or puke, or both. 'Pukaaaawwwww'?

Local Trouble

I've never seen a crabator waifu before.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed