Scientific inaccuracies in Alien

Started by The Cruentus, Feb 05, 2021, 02:17:19 PM

Author
Scientific inaccuracies in Alien (Read 32,240 times)

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 09, 2021, 04:16:42 AM
Good thing this thread is about inaccuracies then

If it's any consolation, I too hate what Covenant did to the Alien's origin (and what Prometheus did to the Space Jockey).  If there's any way of wiggling out of it, I'd be happy to see it.

SM

SM

There's plenty of ways they could wiggle out of it.

They just haven't as yet.

Local Trouble

Have you already formulated your preferred method?

SM

SM

Don't have one.

Local Trouble

Have there been any proposed methods that you would vehemently oppose?

SM

SM

Really don't care.

I will judge their wiggling if they ever actually do it.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Feb 09, 2021, 02:15:41 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 09, 2021, 01:39:05 AM
Let me take this opportunity to declare the skull scientifically inaccurate on the grounds that I hate it. >:(

Booooooo

Booooooo yourself

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Kradan on Feb 09, 2021, 09:24:37 AM
Quote from: [cancerblack] on Feb 09, 2021, 02:15:41 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 09, 2021, 01:39:05 AM
Let me take this opportunity to declare the skull scientifically inaccurate on the grounds that I hate it. >:(

Booooooo

Booooooo yourself

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SM on Feb 09, 2021, 05:33:47 AM
There's plenty of ways they could wiggle out of it.

They just haven't as yet.
Well, Fox kinda already did.

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on Feb 09, 2021, 09:16:08 AM
Really don't care.

I will judge their wiggling if they ever actually do it.

I predict involvement by the AvPR version of the PredAlien.

Whiskeybrewer

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Feb 08, 2021, 07:38:18 PM
Oh! How about accuracy between the movies itself. Fictional worlds have rules. The current retro-continuity (which is subject to change anyway), makes this "what the artist wanted to tell you 42 years ago" excuse somewat irrelevant. It can be changed in future for sure  :laugh:
that's stylistic continuity which is another ballgame altogether

The Cruentus

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Feb 08, 2021, 01:17:49 AM
Yup, now I see how the thread has grown in a few hours, just like the Alien  :laugh:

Yeah that is definitely one of the more unrealistic aspects, I mean they did mention the Alien taking food from storage in the novel or early script, but even with that, it would be unlikely for something that complex to grow that fast without burning out.

Quote from: Omegamorph on Feb 08, 2021, 04:36:27 PM
movies as an art form employ visceral logic - not everything that happens on screen is 100% accurate to reality nor has to be, as long as it's not something absolutely ridiculous

movies cheat on reality all the time, in the subtlest of ways, and Alien et al are no exceptions

True and some more than others but Alien was fairly ok for what it was, it left some things ambiguous, it didn't explain cryo or its travel ability so there is nothing really to contradict if we ever do discover a way to safely induce stasis and achieve some form of reasonable space speed.

Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 08, 2021, 06:12:38 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 08, 2021, 06:05:27 PM
Like the triple explosion at the end?
Or Dallas saying the SpaceJockey is "fossilized", or that the facehugger bled "some kind of molecular acid", or pretty much anything the Alien does.

Bar the rapid growth speed and the sheer potency of its blood, the Alien isn't that implausible, its life-cycle is based on real life parasitoids and there are animals with double jaws.

@oduodu.
I would assume that during stasis, that the ship would be in conservative mode, so power and atmosphere would likely be low or absent as to not waste it.

oduodu

oduodu

Quote from: The Cruentus on Feb 12, 2021, 01:04:09 PM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Feb 08, 2021, 01:17:49 AM
Yup, now I see how the thread has grown in a few hours, just like the Alien  :laugh:

Yeah that is definitely one of the more unrealistic aspects, I mean they did mention the Alien taking food from storage in the novel or early script, but even with that, it would be unlikely for something that complex to grow that fast without burning out.

Quote from: Omegamorph on Feb 08, 2021, 04:36:27 PM
movies as an art form employ visceral logic - not everything that happens on screen is 100% accurate to reality nor has to be, as long as it's not something absolutely ridiculous

movies cheat on reality all the time, in the subtlest of ways, and Alien et al are no exceptions

True and some more than others but Alien was fairly ok for what it was, it left some things ambiguous, it didn't explain cryo or its travel ability so there is nothing really to contradict if we ever do discover a way to safely induce stasis and achieve some form of reasonable space speed.

Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 08, 2021, 06:12:38 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 08, 2021, 06:05:27 PM
Like the triple explosion at the end?
Or Dallas saying the SpaceJockey is "fossilized", or that the facehugger bled "some kind of molecular acid", or pretty much anything the Alien does.

Bar the rapid growth speed and the sheer potency of its blood, the Alien isn't that implausible, its life-cycle is based on real life parasitoids and there are animals with double jaws.

@oduodu.
I would assume that during stasis, that the ship would be in conservative mode, so power and atmosphere would likely be low or absent as to not waste it.

ok. nice point though.

oduodu

oduodu

i always wondered how a queen gets on a vtol aircraft probably weighing 2 3 tons and the android piloting the aircraft doesnt notice that the thrust had to significantly increase to compemsate for it.  to boot ot completely shifts the centre of gravity ro the back of tthe dropship.

oh sorry my bad that was aliens.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed