Scientific inaccuracies in Alien

Started by The Cruentus, Feb 05, 2021, 02:17:19 PM

Author
Scientific inaccuracies in Alien (Read 32,769 times)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 08, 2021, 06:32:05 PM
It's not that he's "wrong", it's audience shorthand. The Space Jockey isn't *literally* fossilized, but Dallas is conveying to the audience that it's "old".

thanks

SO MANY people don't get this and--

it's quite frustrating tbh

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 08, 2021, 06:32:05 PMIt's not that he's "wrong", it's audience shorthand. The Space Jockey isn't *literally* fossilized, but Dallas is conveying to the audience that it's "old".

Wait a minute...

Are you insinuating that the Space Jockey and his ship full of eggs was already there before the events of Alien Covenant?  ???

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 08, 2021, 06:57:48 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 08, 2021, 06:32:05 PMIt's not that he's "wrong", it's audience shorthand. The Space Jockey isn't *literally* fossilized, but Dallas is conveying to the audience that it's "old".

Wait a minute...

Are you insinuating that the Space Jockey and his ship full of eggs was already there before the events of Alien Covenant?  ???
According to the first movie, it's "old". Whether that's a thousand years or a million years we don't know, but it's likely more than 20. :P

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 08, 2021, 07:01:36 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 08, 2021, 06:57:48 PM

Wait a minute...

According to the first movie, it's "old". Whether that's a thousand years or a million years we don't know, but it's likely more than 20. :P

Does time travel count as a scientific inaccuracy?

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

In what capacity?

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 08, 2021, 07:09:46 PM
In what capacity?

Taking David's creation to the distant past so they wind up on LV-426 in an ancient derelict spaceship.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 08, 2021, 07:22:46 PM
In what capacity?

Taking David's creation to the distant past so they wind up on LV-426 in an ancient derelict spaceship.
That's kinda convoluted but I guess it works.

Edit— as a narrative device I imagine an average audience member would buy it, and I suspect a franchise fan might roll with it but say "what's this time travel doing in my Alien franchise?", but going by "hard sci-fi" I think time travel into the past is considered impossible.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Omegamorph on Feb 08, 2021, 06:44:58 PM
It's not that he's "wrong", it's audience shorthand. The Space Jockey isn't *literally* fossilized, but Dallas is conveying to the audience that it's "old".

thanks

Oh! How about accuracy between the movies itself. Fictional worlds have rules. The current retro-continuity (which is subject to change anyway), makes this "what the artist wanted to tell you 42 years ago" excuse somewat irrelevant. It can be changed in future for sure  :laugh:

It's likelly what you chose to belief, and that's fine  :)

Local Trouble

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Feb 08, 2021, 07:38:18 PM

It's likelly what you chose to belief, and that's fine  :)

:o

Immortan Jonesy

;)

Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 08, 2021, 07:24:49 PM
In what capacity?

Edit— as a narrative device I imagine an average audience member would buy it, and I suspect a franchise fan might roll with it but say "what's this time travel doing in my Alien franchise?", but going by "hard sci-fi" I think time travel into the past is considered impossible.

All this mental gymnastic it is all because you don't like the Alien as a modern creation. I understand you, anyway, because this direction upset people, including me  :)

SM

SM

thanks

He thinks it's old.  He explicitly says this.

Other events suggest otherwise.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SM on Feb 08, 2021, 07:58:19 PM

thanks

He thinks it's old.
He's telling the audience and characters that it is old, there's a difference. :)

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Feb 08, 2021, 07:44:51 PM
;)

Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 08, 2021, 07:24:49 PM
In what capacity?

All this mental gymnastic it is all because you don't like the Alien as a modern creation. I understand you, anyway, because this direction upset people, including me  :)
it also contradicts the first movie, as per above. ;)

Kradan

Kradan

This thread gives me a headache  :o

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

It does not contradict anything actually.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 08, 2021, 07:24:49 PMit also contradicts the first movie, as per above. ;)

I don't know if it's a contradiction, but it's certainly upsetting. >:(

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed