Scientific inaccuracies in Alien

Started by The Cruentus, Feb 05, 2021, 02:17:19 PM

Author
Scientific inaccuracies in Alien (Read 32,219 times)

Local Trouble

Quote from: 426Buddy on Feb 07, 2021, 08:18:14 PM
I will say that when the Sulaco arrives above the planet, lv-426 appears to be far larger than 1200km, if we're including the sequel in this discussion that is.

Did the giant tape measure make an appearance in Aliens and I missed it?

426Buddy

426Buddy

Lol just saying that visually I get that impression  :laugh:

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 07, 2021, 08:17:02 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 07, 2021, 08:14:45 PM
With my eyes, based on what we see in the movie.

So no dialogue or anything, just your subjective analysis of the visuals?
Yeah, sure, if that's what you want to consider it lol

https://vimeo.com/13974940

426Buddy

426Buddy

How big is Planet 4?

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: 426Buddy on Feb 07, 2021, 08:30:43 PM
How big is Planet 4?
I don't believe we get a size for it (unless the RPG gives it, but I don't think it does), but based on what we see in the movie I'd go with "roughly earth-sized". According to Xenopedia it's got a higher average barometric pressure than Earth does.

SM

SM

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SM on Feb 07, 2021, 08:40:35 PM
Quote from: 426Buddy on Feb 07, 2021, 08:30:43 PM
How big is Planet 4?

2350 km
[Citation needed]

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Feb 05, 2021, 08:00:19 PM
The spores from Covenant are based in lifeforms you find in nature. In particular Lycoperdon Perlatum, a mushroom which is only edible while the meat is white (which is when it is young), But when the fungus is old it can no longer be eaten, its flesh turns brown and when pressed it releases spores as part of its life cycle.

Also this is from way back on page 1 but I wanted to say this is super fascinating, I didn't know this was a real thing in nature. Thanks for posting it :)

oduodu

oduodu

from one of the deleted scenes from alien

here from https://youtu.be/AvUbqY1S-QQ

around 3:10

1200km

whether its 1200km to the planetoid circumference or diameter i dont know

BUT

thats the source i think. since it wasnt in the theatrical release i don't know if it counts for anything

oh sorry SM has the computer screen showing the  quadrants with the distances and that is in the theatrical cut so i guess that s the official in movie  canon source.

Local Trouble

Xenomrph

Local Trouble

oduodu

oduodu

Quote from: The Cruentus on Feb 05, 2021, 02:17:19 PM
Now as some folks may know, I do tend to be a bit nitpicky when it comes to some aspects of the franchises, namely the level realism and plausibility in them, which I found lacking in the recent entries.

One of the reasons why I prefer to see Resurrection as more of a parody than a true entry is because of more goofy parts in it, such as Ripley 8 being basically a super soldier.

Later entries like Prometheus and Covenent tended to increase the levels of the required suspense of disbelief as well, too grandiose in its display than keeping things plausible. Then the EU had telepathy and wacky hybrids.

Good or bad, Its all so far removed from how the first film started which was fairly grounded bar a few things. Which brings me to the point of this thread.

And that is that even the first film had scientific inaccuracies and other flaws.

So I would like y'all to list all the scientific errors within the first film and explain your why.

EDIT
I will put one out I am noticing now, though it could have an explanation I don't know.

Maybe this be could be due to repressurizing of the Nostromo atmosphere but there should not be any drafts or things blowing about if there is no air.

was the entire nostromo depreserised while the crew were in stasis? never knew that.

Xenomrph

Kradan

Kradan

What is WYR ?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed