Scientific inaccuracies in Alien

Started by The Cruentus, Feb 05, 2021, 02:17:19 PM

Author
Scientific inaccuracies in Alien (Read 32,205 times)

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 23, 2021, 11:49:23 PM
I've never seen a crabator waifu before.

You're just waiting for one in thigh-highs and a latex habit.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

I follow art / animation Youtube channels, and I can tell you there is nothing that cannot be turned into an attractive female / male character; animals, monsters, even inanimate objects.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

i mean it is fairly easy. Stick an attractive fe/male body on it, humanize the face (if not present, add a humanoid face) and voila

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: Huggs on Feb 24, 2021, 12:11:10 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 23, 2021, 11:49:26 PM
I've never seen a crabator waifu before.

You're just waiting for one in thigh-highs and a latex habit.

Huggs

Huggs

And they act like alien abduction is such a negative experience.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Omegamorph on Feb 24, 2021, 12:25:38 AM
i mean it is fairly easy. Stick an attractive fe/male body on it, humanize the face (if not present, add a humanoid face) and voila

Yup, and regardless the style (anime, western) they draw reference of what the mainstream culture define as attractiveness when it comes to human body. The better you're with human anatomy, the better is the quality of the piece.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Feb 24, 2021, 12:39:52 AM

Yup. They draw reference of what the mainstream culture define as attractiveness when it comes to human body. The better you're with human anatomy, the better is the quality of the piece.
del toro literally went around asking the girl-side of his family "does this fishman ass look squeezable to you" while working on SoW

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Omegamorph on Feb 24, 2021, 12:42:06 AM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Feb 24, 2021, 12:39:52 AM

Yup. They draw reference of what the mainstream culture define as attractiveness when it comes to human body. The better you're with human anatomy, the better is the quality of the piece.
del toro literally went around asking the girl-side of his family "does this fishman ass look squeezable to you" while working on SoW

LOL wut?  :laugh:

Edit: Did he win an Oscar for that one?

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Feb 24, 2021, 12:43:56 AM
part of the design process for the gill-man in "Shape of Water" was to make it look attractive - for obvious audience cue reasons - del toro felt that it had to have the absolute sexiest butt in order to achieve that feat

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Omegamorph on Feb 24, 2021, 12:46:26 AM
part of the design process for the gill-man in "Shape of Water" was to make it look attractive - for obvious audience cue reasons - del toro felt that it had to have the absolute sexiest butt in order to achieve that feat

Fascinating. I didn't know about it until now. He had an interesting perspective, and he kinda reinvented the wheel with the black lagoon creature.

Edit: If only Ridley Scott had made a love story between a Space Jockey and a human :laugh:

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Omegamorph on Feb 24, 2021, 12:46:26 AM

I wonder if Anderson did the same for Scar in Avp  :laugh:

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Feb 24, 2021, 10:31:30 AM
I wonder if Anderson did the same for Scar in Avp  :laugh:
he did want scar to look "handsome"

BigDaddyJohn

I know  ;)

The Cruentus

Quote from: Omegamorph on Feb 23, 2021, 10:17:54 PM
golly people do you all really spend this much time and energy over pondering about certain details that are so far from the movies' intentions and soul as something possibly can?

It's one thing to argue about artistic merit, or relative artistic insertion or whatnot, another thing is arguing about scientific inaccuracies within art that doesn't bother being 100% scientifically accurate because -- hold on -- otherwise it would not exist

Alien, Aliens and whatnot are pieces of art, and specifically cinema. They don't employ real world rules all the time - quite in fact they go against them in more than one way, and this is true for literally every single piece of fiction that has ever been made, bar none

Quote from: Omegamorph on Feb 23, 2021, 10:50:32 PM
Quote from: SiL on Feb 23, 2021, 10:24:54 PM
... are you new here?
hi im 12 and wuht is this?

Quote from: Omegamorph on Feb 23, 2021, 11:45:15 PM
Quote from: Trash Queen on Feb 23, 2021, 11:40:24 PM
Quote from: Omegamorph on Feb 23, 2021, 10:50:32 PM
Quote from: SiL on Feb 23, 2021, 10:24:54 PM
... are you new here?
hi im 12 and wuht is this?

I don't know if I wanna go 'awww' or puke, or both. 'Pukaaaawwwww'?

.......Riiiight

Anyway, back to topic.

Also to clarify for those who may think this is a nitpicking critic threads, its not. The pointing out of the scientific inaccuries of the first film is meant to be good natured here.
Of course a 1970s sci/fi is going to require suspensions of disbelief and it won't be perfect, it goes without saying really.
Alien was surprisingly fairly down to earth, especially compared to later entries, which is why I wanted to create this thread. It is easy to point out inaccuries in Covenant, Prometheus, Resurrection and the AVP movies and so on because of how over the top they are but you don't often see people pointing out things in the first film. I guess its made easier by the quality of the movies too.  :P

Alien did a few things right, the omission of how space travel and cryogenics work is a smart move, as there is nothing to despute if no infomation is there. As any information put forward would more than likely be contradicted or outright proven wrong by mankind's increasing understanding of the science of the world.

That being said, even without the mechanics being explained, cryo-stasis is pretty much out there since the only thing to survive freezing and being thawed was a frog I believe.

How would stasis work anyway?

In Alien, the sleepers had small round things attached to them, presumably to monitor life-signs, but if they are supposed to be in stasis then there should not be any life-signs as everything would suspended.

If its meant to simply be something that slows everything down to the point where aging and bodily needs are practically gone, then how safe or plausible would that be?

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: The Cruentus on Feb 24, 2021, 02:03:41 PM
.......Riiiight
you wanted to say something?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed