Best pic of an Alien

Started by War Wager, Sep 19, 2007, 05:58:14 PM

Author
Best pic of an Alien (Read 1,622,247 times)

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

/shrugs

Something about them just niggles.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: MadassAlex on Apr 14, 2010, 01:54:38 PM
The Giger Alien is also a bit more filled out. Not quite bulkier, but it has a greater sense of mass and presence. Cameraliens are kinda... stretched? They're like they got small Aliens and decided to stretch them upwards.
Both suits were roughly the same size

About 7 feet tall. Changes from Giger's designs were hands (arms were elongated), the dome was removed, changes here:
http://www.jamescamerononline.com/AlienWarrior.htm

Even Giger was happy with the designs: "It's all beautifully done, everything, the designs and the way they're executed." - H.R. Giger about the design of Aliens in ALIENS. Cinefantastique Magazine May 1988

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Valaquen on Apr 14, 2010, 02:00:01 PM
http://www.jamescamerononline.com/AlienWarrior.htm
That's what I was searching for! Now I remember, those elbows were different somewhat.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Giger is also quoted as saying "why the f**k did they change it at all?". Paraphrased.

But that image is a prime example of what I'm talking about. It's like they got a shorter Alien and stretched it rather than having something that's supposed to be seven feet tall.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: MadassAlex on Apr 14, 2010, 02:45:05 PM
Giger is also quoted as saying "why the f**k did they change it at all?". Paraphrased.
Find me the quote. I know he was unhappy about not getting to work on Aliens, but he has praised the designs.

QuoteBut that image is a prime example of what I'm talking about. It's like they got a shorter Alien and stretched it rather than having something that's supposed to be seven feet tall.
I simply can't agree. Subjectivity I guess.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

I have no idea where I'd look for that quote, but I can expressly say he was displeased with them removing the dome, which made the Aliens look "cheap", apparently.

On the second point, I agree to disagree.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: MadassAlex on Apr 14, 2010, 02:49:11 PM
I have no idea where I'd look for that quote, but I can expressly say he was displeased with them removing the dome, which made the Aliens look "cheap", apparently.
If I come across it then I'll post it. I also have a quote of him acknowledging the Queen:
"The Alien Queen is also nice. She's a bit smaller in the face than my alien but my basic design was very well studied. She was frighteningly well animated." H.R. Giger, Cinemafantastique Magazine May 1988.

You can kind of feel a little reserve in there, 'Queen is also nice,' I think he really wanted to be involved with his creation.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Quote from: MadassAlex on Apr 14, 2010, 01:46:43 PM
You know...

We were all bitching about the AvP2010 Aliens not being "EKSACTLEE LIEK ALEEENS DE MOUVAY" but honestly I think they look better than the Cameraliens. They may, in fact, be truer to Giger's creature despite having a few ADI elements.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Fo' srs.

Check the body. It has some shallow nods to the ADI Aliens, but the core of the creature is much more Gigerian.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Quote from: MadassAlex on Apr 14, 2010, 03:09:36 PM
Fo' srs.

Check the body. It has some shallow nods to the ADI Aliens, but the core of the creature is much more Gigerian.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: MadassAlex on Apr 14, 2010, 03:09:36 PM
Fo' srs.

I disagree. They had a severe case of chicken legs.

JamesCameronOnline

JamesCameronOnline

Quote from: MadassAlex on Apr 14, 2010, 02:49:11 PM

On the second point, I agree to disagree.

I have a hard time believing that. I believe Ive read just about every Starlog, Cinefanatsticque and every scifi magazine between 84 and 94 involving alien and Giger had nothing but a praise for the design in the 80s, even tho he admiteddly didnt like the movie and was still pissed off that he wasnt asked to participate. Criticizing the design would be completely illogical because its his own design. Not a single line was changed, not a single line. The difference was in in hands and feet only.

Cinefantastique 88

The head had - again - IDENTICAL design to what Giger designed under the dome. Not one original or added curve even. Same goes for the body. And I also believed Giger's great design was too great to be covered up, althought I liked the dome too, but fortunately we got both. Im happy that no redesigns were made and the comsetic changes the fingers and feet were explained with a natural aging process

And btw, for those interested - Giger changed his mind in the 90s about Aliens and called it "one of the best SF/war/action films" in 1995

JamesCameronOnline

JamesCameronOnline

Anyway, always loved that shot

JamesCameronOnline

JamesCameronOnline

Valaquen

Valaquen

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed