Alien: Resurrection
41 (3.6%)
Prometheus
8 (0.7%)
Alien: Covenant
7 (0.6%)

Total Members Voted: 1044

Author
Favourite Alien Movie? (Read 493,662 times)

Kradan

Kradan

Well, I like the latter more

SiL

SiL

Originally the crew were wrapped in silk cocoons that made it a bit more obvious they were being absorbed by, rather than turning into, the eggs.

You can kind of see it in how Brett is melting into the egg but it's understandably vague when the scene plays out.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Kradan on Aug 17, 2022, 06:07:42 AMIs that different from Brett's corpse slowly turning into an Egg ?
Yep! Cameron found it kitsch because he associated it to b-movies where oftentimes a person turns into a creature or an egg. Since he wanted - what he and scott call - 'a B-movie done the A-movie way' he got rid of the spore concept and replaced it with his own, which was a retelling of a failed script of his (Mother), which in turn was about 'good mother vs bad mother'... which is Aliens. In essence, an excuse to do whatever he wanted, and at the time he was free to do so because the spore scene had been cut

Quote from: SiL on Aug 17, 2022, 06:32:32 AMOriginally the crew were wrapped in silk cocoons that made it a bit more obvious they were being absorbed by, rather than turning into, the eggs.

You can kind of see it in how Brett is melting into the egg but it's understandably vague when the scene plays out.
I know the Brett concept (likely inspired by Body Snatchers 56 or 78) but the first one is new! Where from?

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

It's not new, you can see it in Giger's Alien book.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: Omegamorph on Aug 17, 2022, 10:42:14 AM
Quote from: Kradan on Aug 17, 2022, 06:07:42 AMIs that different from Brett's corpse slowly turning into an Egg ?
Yep! Cameron found it kitsch because he associated it to b-movies where oftentimes a person turns into a creature or an egg. Since he wanted - what he and scott call - 'a B-movie done the A-movie way' he got rid of the spore concept and replaced it with his own, which was a retelling of a failed script of his (Mother), which in turn was about 'good mother vs bad mother'... which is Aliens. In essence, an excuse to do whatever he wanted, and at the time he was free to do so because the spore scene had been cut

Quote from: SiL on Aug 17, 2022, 06:32:32 AMOriginally the crew were wrapped in silk cocoons that made it a bit more obvious they were being absorbed by, rather than turning into, the eggs.

I know the Brett concept (likely inspired by Body Snatchers 56 or 78) but the first one is new! Where from?

Giger's artwork for the Dallas cocoon? The novelisation?

Dallas was inside the silk-like cocoon, hanging from the ceiling, when Ripley discovered him. The 'silk' would harden and become darker (Brett cocoon).

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Elmazalman on Aug 17, 2022, 11:42:35 AMGiger's artwork for the Dallas cocoon? The novelisation?

Dallas was inside the silk-like cocoon, hanging from the ceiling, when Ripley discovered him. The 'silk' would harden and become darker (Brett cocoon).
Ooohhh nice thanks!

I need to ignore the novelizations less

Nightstorm

Nightstorm

I like alien resurrection because of the cloned xenomorphs

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Alien and Aliens are great films, but as far as what personally compells me, if it wasn't for Alien³ I wouldn't give a shit about the franchise at all, Golic, Morse, Dillon, Eighty Five, Andrews, Clemens and Ripley in it are my favourite characters in the franchise. The sets are an amazing amalgamation of both the David Twohy prison setting and Vincent Ward Wooden Planet retrofitted together, it is the most expensive of the first three Alien films by a country mile and I think it shows, I adore the cinematography. It makes me genuinely disheartened to think most people do not see the level of unquantifiable value in it that I do. The prospect of seeing it as intended with finished compositing (Look up Project A34K) genuinely keeps me going when otherwise I feel like just giving up the ghost.

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Jan 04, 2023, 02:59:45 PMAlien and Aliens are great films, but as far as what personally compells me, if it wasn't for Alien³ I wouldn't give a shit about the franchise at all, Golic, Morse, Dillon, Eighty Five, Andrews, Clemens and Ripley in it are my favourite characters in the franchise. You are dead incorrect about the sets by the way, the sets are an amazing amalgamation of both the David Twohy prison setting and Vincent Ward Wooden Planet retrofitted together, it is the most expensive of the first three Alien films by a country mile and I think it shows. It makes me genuinely disheartened to think most people do not see the level of unquantifiable value in it that I do. The prospect of seeing it as intended with finished compositing (Look up Project A34K) genuinely keeps me going when otherwise I feel like just giving up the ghost.

It's nice to see others who respect and appreciate Alien 3 as much as myself. I've never understood the hate. The aesthetic, the creature design, the cast, the incredible soundtrack - even the setting: It's fine art.

judge death

judge death

Alien 3 is to me a great classic and last act of the holy alien trilogy, its easily second best movie in the franchise. :D

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

*hands out queen chestburster pendants to fellow 'Cult 161' brothers and sisters* 😂

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on Jan 04, 2023, 03:53:06 PM
Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Jan 04, 2023, 02:59:45 PMAlien and Aliens are great films, but as far as what personally compells me, if it wasn't for Alien³ I wouldn't give a shit about the franchise at all, Golic, Morse, Dillon, Eighty Five, Andrews, Clemens and Ripley in it are my favourite characters in the franchise. You are dead incorrect about the sets by the way, the sets are an amazing amalgamation of both the David Twohy prison setting and Vincent Ward Wooden Planet retrofitted together, it is the most expensive of the first three Alien films by a country mile and I think it shows. It makes me genuinely disheartened to think most people do not see the level of unquantifiable value in it that I do. The prospect of seeing it as intended with finished compositing (Look up Project A34K) genuinely keeps me going when otherwise I feel like just giving up the ghost.

It's nice to see others who respect and appreciate Alien 3 as much as myself. I've never understood the hate. The aesthetic, the creature design, the cast, the incredible soundtrack - even the setting: It's fine art.

Its what got me into the mythology and was for a very long time my favorite Alien film, even thought I objectively agree it isnt the best. I mean, what a fantastic mood, look and feel the movie has. And its as serious as a heart attack, like the first two, which is something very much up my alley

City Hunter Yautja

City Hunter Yautja

Quote from: judge death on Jan 04, 2023, 04:27:33 PMAlien 3 is to me a great classic and last act of the holy alien trilogy, its easily second best movie in the franchise. :D

I agree that the first three films are a holy triad, granted Alien3 is so bleak. I do have special place for Resurrection in my heart, it to me while not storytelling wise is on the level of the triad, is fun in what it explores regarding Xenotransplantation.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Post moved elsewhere instead.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed