Scientific inaccuracies in Alien

Started by The Cruentus, Feb 05, 2021, 02:17:19 PM

Author
Scientific inaccuracies in Alien (Read 32,774 times)

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 15, 2021, 02:19:38 AM
Quote from: SM on Mar 14, 2021, 10:27:20 PM
Quote-it wasn't eggmorphed from Bishops legs (which, you know, were sucked into the vacuum of space).

Not necessarily.

They were still present in Colonial Marines, after all.

The Gibson script too.

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 15, 2021, 02:26:24 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 15, 2021, 02:19:38 AM
Quote from: SM on Mar 14, 2021, 10:27:20 PM
Quote-it wasn't eggmorphed from Bishops legs (which, you know, were sucked into the vacuum of space).

Not necessarily.

They were still present in Colonial Marines, after all.

The Gibson script too.

LOL, both 'Colonial Marines' and the Gibson Script defies logic by having the legs there.. Unless they weigh more than the heavy cargo that was sucked from the launch bay with ease. But for arguments sake, let's just say they are there - the *fact* they are seen there means they didn't become an egg anyway. 😂😋

SM

SM

If the legs survived it's because they got caught on one of the dropship landing legs or something similar.  They were thrown towards the dropships starboard side and the loading lock was to its port.

Their position in A:CM is predictably stupid.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

When I originally saw Aliens as a kid, I initially assumed that Ripley could have simply retrieved Bishop's lower body so he could reattach it to his torso.  He did, after all, retain control over his arms.

Besides, it's pretty obvious that Lance Henriksen's legs were wrapped in foil in this shot. 

A writer could easily say that he was able to repair himself before bedtime.  Maybe not back up to factory spec, but enough so he could walk again.

Given how Shaw was able to reattach David's head, I think it's even less outlandish now.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 15, 2021, 03:36:58 AM

A writer could easily say that he was able to repair himself before bedtime.  Maybe not back up to factory spec, but enough so he could walk again.

Given how Shaw was able to reattach David's head, I think it's even less outlandish now.

Too bad it wasn't a Walter.

Predator@Alien

Hi !

I have some additional details about scientifc problems ^^

For the gravity of LV-426, as it was said, it's really impossible (if it's 1200 km).

We have a body which is 10 times smaller than the Earth. With a diameter 10 times smaller than the Earth, LV-426 would have a mass 1000 times less than the one of the Earth. Or gravity is proportional to mass and inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the center. Therefore, the gravity on the surface of such a planetoid would be 10 times weaker. Eventually, for about 0.86 G, the density of LV-426 would have to be 8 times greater than that of the Earth. Or, the density of the Earth is already high enough (5.5) and there is no material that predicts such a difference. If the planetoid were made of platinum (21.4), we would have a density 4 times greater but not 10 times.

So it's really impossible what we see in the movie, again, if it's 1200 km ^^. Personaly I prefer 1200 km because I like the idea that it's a tiny object. Imagine that LV-426 is almost the size of the Earth ... It bothers me ^^

After, we have the FTL, so that of course is impossible.

And another thing that hasn't been mentioned yet : The system of propulsion of the Nostromo (with the refinery) which is not compatible with the center of gravity of the vessel. Such a vessel would turn on itself at the slightest impulse because the system of propulsion of the ship is not aligned with the center of gravity.

The perspectives with the planet with the moon are exaggerated, when we know that Calpamos is 306 400 km in diameter.

For the rest I'm not competent enough, only astronomical data ^^ I think that there are a lot of other problems but those are the most significant I think :)

SM

SM

Do we know Calpamos is that size?

And if they can generate artificial gravity - it's they can move the centre of gravity.

Predator@Alien

The only source that I found on the size of Calpamos is in the Technical Manual. Failing to find better, I take this.

And yes of course, but it suppose that they can create an artificial gravity, which is also impossible ;D but you are right, if we admit they can, taking the problems separately, it's possible  :)

SM

SM

The tech manual just put the gas giant at that size so it could have an Earth sized moon - which it changed from the original source material.

Predator@Alien

Okay, so we can assume that the visual is closer to reality in Prometheus. In Alien, we have a planet which seems too small next to its satellites. The distance of 1 790 000 km in the CMTM is realistic. So maybe it could work with the perspective, if we admit that we are really close to LV-426 we we see it... It's not really what we see in Alien...

SM, do you try to justify all of those errors or you think that the established laws of Alien are stronger than the laws of physics for a fictional world ?

BlueMarsalis79

Drukathi

Drukathi

Nobody gives a shit. I still want to see my Antarctic space elevator.

SiL

SiL

The guy who painted the establishing shot of the planet and moons pretty much flat out said they knew what was shown was wrong but done for visuals over realism.

Jon Sorenson, one of the model team, would have more information. He has an account on the site.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SM on Mar 21, 2021, 05:13:28 AM
The tech manual just put the gas giant at that size so it could have an Earth sized moon
[Citation needed]

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: Drukathi on Mar 21, 2021, 10:44:54 AM
Nobody gives a shit. I still want to see my Antarctic space elevator.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed