Aliens: Infiltrator - Weston Osche

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 16, 2019, 07:40:23 AM

Author
Aliens: Infiltrator - Weston Osche (Read 65,350 times)

Protomorph

What do you think LEON-895 looks like. It's described as looking like this.....but an element confuses me:

Spoiler
"Almost the size of a human, with four legs, the centre one propelling it forward whilst the outside legs helped it to maintain balance."

If it's got 4 legs and 1 is in the centre then I assume two are behind like in a quadrupedal stance. Where's its other leg?  or is it just some deformed thing with no recognisable shape?!?!?!

Or is it just me being stupid?
[close]

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: Trash Queen on May 06, 2021, 07:52:55 AM
I thought that's because of the long voyage, "By the time you reach your destination I will be long dead." meaning that he's alive when the ship departed and so remained as such far as the general public's concerned anyway, until the vessel disappeared.

Apart from if you imply he faked his death then. If granted eternal life did he expect to be welcomed with open arms after doing that? It does not make much sense to me.

The company flagship disappearing along with it's founder's a much bigger deal than one tugboat going missing after being covertly diverted from it's destination, the truth concerning one can be covered up much easier as an internal affair, the other's basically public.
The implication I got was that Weyland was supposed to be on Earth, and would likely be dead by the time that Prometheus arrived at its destination. The twist is that he wasn't, but it makes sense for people both on Earth and on the Prometheus to believe he was.

Flagship or not, Weyland was a big company with a lot of projects going on. I imagine that the disappearance of one ship would be newsworthy, but maybe not as much as you'd think. The death of Weyland could also be covered up by the company with the explanation that he was a very old man, and the new of the ship's MIA status was what caused his death; heart attack or something like that.

As for the eternal life thing, I imagine it wasn't actually planned, either by the filmmakers or the characters themselves. I mean, if you're going on a last ditch effort to save your own skin, how much do you really believe it'll happen?

Quote from: Protomorph on May 06, 2021, 02:04:12 PM
What do you think LEON-895 looks like. It's described as looking like this.....but an element confuses me:

Spoiler
"Almost the size of a human, with four legs, the centre one propelling it forward whilst the outside legs helped it to maintain balance."

If it's got 4 legs and 1 is in the centre then I assume two are behind like in a quadrupedal stance. Where's its other leg?  or is it just some deformed thing with no recognisable shape?!?!?!

[close]

I thought that was a bad description as well. The only way I figured it could look is
Spoiler
if it's got a central leg, and then three around it in a triangular pattern.
[close]

Protomorph

Quote from: Stitch on May 06, 2021, 02:10:06 PM
Quote from: Trash Queen on May 06, 2021, 07:52:55 AM
I thought that's because of the long voyage, "By the time you reach your destination I will be long dead." meaning that he's alive when the ship departed and so remained as such far as the general public's concerned anyway, until the vessel disappeared.

Apart from if you imply he faked his death then. If granted eternal life did he expect to be welcomed with open arms after doing that? It does not make much sense to me.

The company flagship disappearing along with it's founder's a much bigger deal than one tugboat going missing after being covertly diverted from it's destination, the truth concerning one can be covered up much easier as an internal affair, the other's basically public.
The implication I got was that Weyland was supposed to be on Earth, and would likely be dead by the time that Prometheus arrived at its destination. The twist is that he wasn't, but it makes sense for people both on Earth and on the Prometheus to believe he was.

Flagship or not, Weyland was a big company with a lot of projects going on. I imagine that the disappearance of one ship would be newsworthy, but maybe not as much as you'd think. The death of Weyland could also be covered up by the company with the explanation that he was a very old man, and the new of the ship's MIA status was what caused his death; heart attack or something like that.

As for the eternal life thing, I imagine it wasn't actually planned, either by the filmmakers or the characters themselves. I mean, if you're going on a last ditch effort to save your own skin, how much do you really believe it'll happen?

Spoiler

[close]

I thought that was a bad description as well. The only way I figured it could look is
Spoiler
if it's got a central leg, and then three around it in a triangular pattern.
[close]

I also considered that look myself. It's very odd to form a picture of it based on that description.

Nukiemorph

The Leon description really bugged me too. The leg description seemed to almost contradict itself. We also don't really get much description of what it looked like before
Spoiler
the pathogen mutations,
[close]
so I don't know what exactly changed. How asymmetrical is the design? Was it always naturally that way or is it super messed up now?

I also wasn't sure if "center leg" was a typo and he meant to say "center legs".
I've noticed a lot of typos on this book, so I'm starting to make that assumption.

*salutes Protomorph and Stitch with coffee cup*

The most annoying typo to hit me so far was:
Spoiler
They suspect Fairbanks killed Brannan, so they announce that they need to go to Fairbanks's room to search it. The book describes them entering Brannan's room and finding clues. This kind of confused me for a few pages until they accost Fairbanks and tell him what they found in his room. So they clearly searched Fairbanks's room, but it was distracting and took me out of the story.
[close]

Local Trouble

What do you think LEON-895 looks like.

BlueMarsalis79

I thought of this myself personally:

Although with a pointed head and more features of the "Leon 895" described in the novel.

Such as the crystals underneath the translucent skin.

SM

SM

Quote from: Nukiemorph on May 06, 2021, 06:04:15 PM
The Leon description really bugged me too. The leg description seemed to almost contradict itself. We also don't really get much description of what it looked like before
Spoiler
the pathogen mutations,
[close]
so I don't know what exactly changed. How asymmetrical is the design? Was it always naturally that way or is it super messed up now?

I also wasn't sure if "center leg" was a typo and he meant to say "center legs".
I've noticed a lot of typos on this book, so I'm starting to make that assumption.

Spoiler
They suspect Fairbanks killed Brannan, so they announce that they need to go to Fairbanks's room to search it. The book describes them entering Brannan's room and finding clues. This kind of confused me for a few pages until they accost Fairbanks and tell him what they found in his room. So they clearly searched Fairbanks's room, but it was distracting and took me out of the story.
[close]

Missed that.

Spoiler
Although speaking of typos - it's Brennan  ;)  As in Troy from Alien 3 killed by Murphy from Alien 3.
[close]

Nukiemorph

Quote from: SM on May 07, 2021, 12:45:14 AM
Spoiler
Although speaking of typos - it's Brennan  ;)  As in Troy from Alien 3 killed by Murphy from Alien 3.
[close]
Ah. Derp. Was going from memory, didn't get those references, and I know a Brannan personally.

Delta Echo Alpha Delta

Quote from: SM on May 06, 2021, 01:12:27 PM
QuoteI am always told bluray menus don't count as canon

Told by whom?

I wasn't a fan of LV-223 being in Z2R personally.  Iota Persei was a better choice based on the distance stated in the film.  However CdL does that stuff and works closely with Ridley and was involved in the film's production, plus it's been pretty locked in ever since so I just go with it.

Easter Eggs and Blu-ray menus don't count as canon otherwise the whole thing about Eldon Tyrell would be canon, and we both know Alien and Blade Runner aren't in the same universe.

Kradan

Kradan

Are they ?

BlueMarsalis79

Until Disney buys it. 😅

Protomorph

Quote from: Nukiemorph on May 06, 2021, 06:04:15 PM
Spoiler
the pathogen mutations,
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Absolutely, i've seen a few instances of spelling and grammar issues also something where the book said it had entered someones room, Fairbanks I think it was then the next sentence they were looking into his room from the corridor.

I'm quite enjoying the book anyway despite the errors i've found.

BlueMarsalis79

I enjoyed it fine.

Nukiemorph

Nukiemorph

For the record, I don't hold typos against the author. They happen. It just makes a bad impression as a whole when nobody else catches them or the LV-223 thing before publishing.

Anyway, I'm only about a third of the way through. It's okay so far. Not hating it despite my gripes. Honestly, Cruz is the only character who feels developed and interesting to me at this point.

Okay, this definitely got more interesting once
Spoiler
the test subjects arrived.
[close]

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: muthur9000 on May 07, 2021, 07:31:43 AM
Quote from: SM on May 06, 2021, 01:12:27 PM
QuoteI am always told bluray menus don't count as canon

Told by whom?

I wasn't a fan of LV-223 being in Z2R personally.  Iota Persei was a better choice based on the distance stated in the film.  However CdL does that stuff and works closely with Ridley and was involved in the film's production, plus it's been pretty locked in ever since so I just go with it.

Easter Eggs and Blu-ray menus don't count as canon otherwise the whole thing about Eldon Tyrell would be canon, and we both know Alien and Blade Runner aren't in the same universe.
It could be a different, but functionally similar, Eldon Tyrell. Weyland could know a Tyrell who is a contemporaneous robotics pioneer, but isn't literally the same Eldon Tyrell from Blade Runner in 2019 and the events of Blade Runner still didn't take place in the Alien universe. Retrofitting the BR character into the Alien universe, basically. The Alien RPG does a lot of that stuff with its references to the old EU and other non-Alien stuff like the Alien3 scripts, Outland, etc.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed