Alien: Alone – Alien: 40th Anniversary Short Films

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 23, 2019, 07:06:12 PM

Author
Alien: Alone – Alien: 40th Anniversary Short Films (Read 33,885 times)

Corporal Hicks

Same. I'd love to see the longer take on Alone.

The Old One

The Old One

Count me in.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Finally got around to giving this a second viewing.

Only real complaint I can muster is that the music at the very end struck me as really out-of-place, which is disappointing because otherwise the score is by far the best from any of these shorts.

Other than that, this was really very good. Excellent performance from the lead. Without question the most thought-provoking of the six.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention the model shots. Sure, they may have looked kinda hokey, but man did I get a kick out of them. Reminded me of oldschool Red Dwarf ;D

Kimo

Kimo

Really liked this one because it's different from your typical how do we kill this creature in a room scenario, like some of the last shorts. Defo would love to see something original like this rather then ur rehash of Alien/Aliens.

However
Spoiler
I would of had the Alien knock her head off like she was just some foreign object in its way at the very end when she enters the room. Not because the Alien see's her as some human or a threat, but because the Alien does not know what to think off her since she's a machine. Similar to how the xeno in the first Alien movie slapped jonesy's cage on the floor.
[close]

[cancerblack]

Would be thrilled to see a longer cut, hopefully there's no niggling legal issues preventing that.

irn

I really enjoyed this one. It was the first that actually tried something new. Regarding the facehugger being a "pet"; if I'm not mistaken, it's implied that it has the urge to attack the synthetic because it's a humanoid shape and that's what it's designed to go for, so it stays close, yet obviously she's not biological so it doesn't really know what to do. It's demonstrating a confused impulse.

I'd love to have seen Alone with a bigger budget and a bit longer.

Ronoc

Quote from: irn on Apr 30, 2019, 12:52:14 AM
I really enjoyed this one. It was the first that actually tried something new. Regarding the facehugger being a "pet"; if I'm not mistaken, it's implied that it has the urge to attack the synthetic because it's a humanoid shape and that's what it's designed to go for, so it stays close, yet obviously she's not biological so it doesn't really know what to do. It's demonstrating a confused impulse.

I'd love to have seen Alone with a bigger budget and a bit longer.

^this

TC

Quote from: irn on Apr 30, 2019, 12:52:14 AM

Yes, Hope has a line that says this. But being the sophisticated movie viewers that we are, a character's explanation for what's going on is always prime suspect in unreliable narrators. What we observe is cutesy cooing and chirping from the face-hugger - designed to evoke what, i wonder?

TC

SiL

SiL

Designed to evoke that facehuggers make chirping noises. They always have.

It's clear from the director's comments that it wasn't intended to show it was a "pet". If that's how it comes across its an issue of execution, not intent.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SiL on Apr 30, 2019, 05:40:53 AMIt's clear from the director's comments that it wasn't intended to show it was a "pet". If that's how it comes across its an issue of execution, not intent.

It didn't come across like that to me. I didn't really see the problem with the depiction of the Facehugger's behaviour.

SiL

Neither do I. It attacks Hope, realises she's not a host, buggers off, then comes back when it realises there's nothing else around to grab. It stays nearby on the offchance a host does show up near her.

Corporal Hicks

And the dialogue specifically called out why its keeping around her.

XenoHunter99

Humans have a tendency to anthropomorphize. Hope is a human-like AI. She knows exactly what the facehugger is, what it's doing, It doesn't matter, In the situation, she likes its company. She talks to it. She even cares for its survival as one might care for a rather exotic pet, ultimately sacrificing a human so the facehugger can spawn. The ethics and morality of all that is quite interesting. The more curious part of that is what the adult Alien would have done next. It raises a lot of questions about what the creature knows, how it knows it, what it thinks, and how it acts on that information. Knock Hope's head off is a possibility, but not the only possibility.

The biggest problem with the droids in the Alien series, at least from a human perspective, is that they mostly lack Asimov's 3 Rules of Robotics in their programming. Only Bishop and maybe Walter seem to possess them. I think Bishop's decision-making is most obviously influenced by them. Call is compassionate, but I think she arrived there more or less on her own.

HuDaFuK

Pretty certain the idea with Call - as with all Autons like her - is that they were self-aware and therefore not governed by programming. Hence their rebellion and the subsequent outlawing of synthetics.

Highland

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 29, 2019, 06:46:32 PM
Finally got around to giving this a second viewing.

Only real complaint I can muster is that the music at the very end struck me as really out-of-place, which is disappointing because otherwise the score is by far the best from any of these shorts.

Other than that, this was really very good. Excellent performance from the lead. Without question the most thought-provoking of the six.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention the model shots. Sure, they may have looked kinda hokey, but man did I get a kick out of them. Reminded me of oldschool Red Dwarf ;D

I used the exact same description in another thread. I really didn't like the hugger shots. Say what you like about it, but the facehugger just sitting there is off. Maybe if it was scurrying around, or sitting dormant I could buy it. The short was ok, I just though that aspect of it wasn't really well executed.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed