Alien/Predator Novel Reviews

Started by Hudson, Aug 19, 2014, 04:55:43 PM

Author
Alien/Predator Novel Reviews (Read 71,041 times)

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Cold Forge is boss. Dorian is the most fantastically hateable c**t I think I've ever come across in a novel.

Quote from: Gentleman Death on Nov 09, 2020, 06:49:40 PMThe ending was perfect as it wasn't left open and I don't think I'd want a sequel, I felt it tied itself up rather well.

I think Alex mentioned he doesn't intend to do a sequel, but might drop a cameo from Blue in somewhere down the line just to see where she ends up next. I'd be up for that. I liked Blue, even if, as you say, she's far from a white knight.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 10, 2020, 08:44:44 AM
For everyone's edification, Alex doesn't use gender pronouns/descriptions. They or them for Alex.

So Alex White sees Alex White as plural being ?

SiL

SiL

"They/them" is also commonly used as a singular third person genderless pronoun (and has been for a very long time before someone tries to pipe up that it's some recent "SJW crap" or something.)

Kradan

Kradan

Huh

Gentleman Death

Finished Alien Isolation...

Pretty solid book and followed the game storyline well. There wasn't too much to add to this story, other than Amanda's backstory here and there.

I've played the game twice prior to reading this so I was able to see what the author was writing solidly in my head, might have even glanced over a sentence or two because of that fact.

The first couple of flashback chapters into Amanda's story got better each time. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about it but once everything was wrapped up, I enjoyed the amount that was given and glad the author didn't over indulge much. I already loved the character after the game but the book made me like her more. I'm hesitant to see how her story goes from there as my understanding is it continues in the form of comics...

Other than that, if you've played the game then I don't think the book will offer anything substantial but nonetheless a solid entry in the Alien universe.

Next is Prototype...

Kradan

Kradan

Prototype was a fun read

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Oct 23, 2020, 09:24:25 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 22, 2020, 01:56:16 PMIsn't that made overt in the audio drama too?

Sea of Sorrows is the only one of those I've not listened to.

You really should, its very good and the amount of differences compared to the novel means you are getting something new out of it as well.

Quote from: SM on Oct 30, 2020, 08:55:02 PM
The OotS audio drama was great.  RoP was a bit overacted I found.

Oots was great, a good few differences to the novel but I don't think there was as much differences as in SoS audible. I can't recall too much on RoP but the story for that was a bit of a mess anyway. Marines, contradictions and so on. I would say that it does make sense for there to be some authority figures about in a colony, but it would have been more suited to colonial marshalls or sheriffs.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Nov 10, 2020, 09:10:46 AM
Cold Forge is boss. Dorian is the most fantastically hateable c**t I think I've ever come across in a novel.

Quote from: Gentleman Death on Nov 09, 2020, 06:49:40 PMThe ending was perfect as it wasn't left open and I don't think I'd want a sequel, I felt it tied itself up rather well.

I think Alex mentioned he doesn't intend to do a sequel, but might drop a cameo from Blue in somewhere down the line just to see where she ends up next. I'd be up for that. I liked Blue, even if, as you say, she's far from a white knight.

I don't know why but I keep on thinking that Cillian Murphy would make a great Dorian, his eyes allow for the kind of coldness that Dorian displays.

I think Blue being flawed is what makes her interesting. Protagonists should generally be different from other ones in order to stand out as their own character.

Gentleman Death

Gentleman Death

Finished Alien Prototype...

Out of the newer Titan novels, I'd say this was the weakest but had a few redeeming qualities to it.

The book starts off fairly well and had me hooked when describing Zulus dream of a skeleton bone alien, it was fairly well written and set the mood. But like a teenager, this books mood swings were all over the place..

I absolutely loved the Necromorph. Easily the highlight of the book and it already being an alien, vicious and brutal, adding in something like cellular necrosis was brilliant in my mind. It brought a new darkness to this beast that I thought couldn't achieve to be any more sinister. Each time the chapter would change perspectives to the alien, I was hooked. I really enjoyed being able to read about the battles it was having to procreate but spread this disease that it has. Trying to kill the alien became even harder and the pusulated lesions bursting over people or coughing up into a section of the bases air system to spread the sickness was a great read!

Then came the characters....all of them, forgettable and laughable at times. Like the recruits playing a joke that almost turns into a death on Zulu because she's always so mean as their boss...uh ok.

I know Zulu continues on from this in comics, I believe, but I frankly don't care. I couldn't enjoy her story, the way she trained the recruits or her past relationship with Amanda or the xenomorph. Her dialogue was sloppy and at times, felt forced by the writer in trying to make me believe shes supposed to be a strong individual.

Although Davis (Zulus Android stuck in an earpiece) was fairly interesting and his battle with the Lodges AI in a chapter made me think of tron. It was different but overall worked for me.

Plus the way the alien escapes is extremely questionable. It's mentioned previously that the doctor, who's looking over the egg/alien, labs are extremely well enforced since he handles testing on subjects, especially with diseases. But the alien, once it bursts out of the volunteer, finds a small vent and escapes....and very casually goes back to running tests on the egg while sending his robot assistant to search for it in the vents. (Side note; I thought it was interesting that the author mentioned that the egg lips close back up. I don't believe ever reading about that happening in the other books and was really hoping that it might lead to something but doesn't  get brought up again.)

Anyways, lots of up and downs in this one but I do have to say that this probably has my favorite written alien in the novel series so I'll take all the puss filled necrosis sprayed on me for that alone!

Oh that ending....so you're telling me no one noticed the three foot high egg in the warehouse before leaving the base...?

Next is Phalanx....

SM

SM

Yeah I remember my main criticism of Prototype was that Zula's squad was a bit lacking in terms of characterisation - other than Ronny.  I was quite surprised that a lot of my suggestions on Prototype got taken up - but pumping up the characters a bit didn't.  I thought there could've been a potentially romantic angle with Nicholas, making his death have a little more impact.

Gentleman Death

Gentleman Death

Finished Aliens Phalanx...

I must say, I was hesitant when I read the premise for the story but after reading the book....I have to say that this, for me, was probably one of the best alien novels I've read. Maybe even over cold forge, maybe..

The 500 page book really fleshes out not only characters but the overall world of Ateagina. I became completely immersed in the book. Now, I don't read these type of books so maybe that's one of the many reasons I liked it.

I don't have one bad thing to say about this book! The writing was great and kept me turning the pages constantly. I loves the relationship between Aaliyah, Brandun and Creen and couldn't get enough of the three of them, when together, on page. The history of the "holds" was informative but not so much where I got bored. The author layed the blueprint down and I got the jist of it. I could've easily read more.

Seriously, I could go on about this book and just how fresh and refreshing the author took this alien concept to a whole new level, and actually succeeded.

Alien Echo is next...

SM

SM

I fear Phalanx may have spoiled Echo a tad.

Gentleman Death

Quote from: SM on Dec 11, 2020, 11:30:28 AM
I fear Phalanx may have spoiled Echo a tad.

In what non spoiler way? Ha

SM

SM

Nah more that, I reckon Echo is really good - but Phalanx is next level.

Gentleman Death

Quote from: SM on Dec 11, 2020, 08:58:25 PM
Nah more that, I reckon Echo is really good - but Phalanx is next level.

Ok, gotcha! Yeah, I see Cold Forge and Phalanx being hard to top!

Gentleman Death

So I'm almost done with Echo and was wondering what the overall consensus on the Predator novels? Now, I like the movies and all but don't know if going down that path would be worth it, any insights?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed