Alien/Predator Novel Reviews

Started by Hudson, Aug 19, 2014, 04:55:43 PM

Author
Alien/Predator Novel Reviews (Read 50,571 times)

SM

SM

#525
Luisa Cantrell.

Brackett = Ripley
Paris = Hicks
Mori = Bishop
Luisa = Newt

I found the ending a little trite in that regard.

But then OotS ended with Hoop drifting a la Ripley too.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

#526
It might've meant something more if Louisa had been a key character prior to that, but from memory we barely encounter her.

Gentleman Death

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Oct 29, 2020, 03:55:02 PM
It might've meant something more if Louisa had been a key character prior to that, but from memory we barely encounter her.

She had only been mentioned once or twice, very briefly, as a friend of newts I believe.

And the scene I was describing about Russ' chest yesterday scene was an exaggeration oh how non tense and detail oriented.

I didn't think of the comparisons that you listed SM about the characters relating to Aliens at the end of the novel but they fit pretty well!

I figured once I was done with the Alien novels I'd give the Rage War a try since you'd mentioned it follows SoS events.

I liked the trilogy of books a lot and wish the final could've ended better.

It's a shame you don't really get a follow up with the characters who survived but I suppose some things are left unsaid..

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

#528
Quote from: Gentleman Death on Oct 29, 2020, 06:38:13 PMI figured once I was done with the Alien novels I'd give the Rage War a try since you'd mentioned it follows SoS events.

Rage War is legit one of my favourites. It's very different in style but a great read.

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

#529
I'd recommend giving The Rage War a go as it's loosely a sequel trilogy to the first trilogy that you just read and it was released right after it also. Also now that you've read the first trilogy I'd highly recommend giving the audio drama adaptations a go. If you've never had a subscription with Audible then you get a 2 week free trial that includes two free audiobooks (or dramas in this case) which you can keep even if you cancel your subscription before the free trial expires. So you could get 2 out of 3 free if you're interested.

Kradan

Kradan

#530
Quote from: Xiggz456 on Oct 30, 2020, 07:22:02 PM
I'd recommend giving The Rage War a go as it's loosely a sequel trilogy to the first trilogy that you just read and it was released right after it also. Also now that you've read the first trilogy I'd highly recommend giving the audio drama adaptations a go. If you've never had a subscription with Audible then you get a 2 week free trial that includes two free audiobooks (or dramas in this case) which you can keep even if you cancel your subscription before the free trial expires. So you could get 2 out of 3 free if you're interested.

This post is sponsored by


Gentleman Death

Quote from: Xiggz456 on Oct 30, 2020, 07:22:02 PM
I'd recommend giving The Rage War a go as it's loosely a sequel trilogy to the first trilogy that you just read and it was released right after it also. Also now that you've read the first trilogy I'd highly recommend giving the audio drama adaptations a go.

I started OotS audio the other day and I'm about 40min into it. So far it's pretty solid! I'm doing it in chunks so it'll take me a little bit as I don't listen to audio books.


SM

SM

#532
The OotS audio drama was great.  RoP was a bit overacted I found.

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

#533
Quote from: Kradan on Oct 30, 2020, 07:46:04 PM
Quote from: Xiggz456 on Oct 30, 2020, 07:22:02 PM
I'd recommend giving The Rage War a go as it's loosely a sequel trilogy to the first trilogy that you just read and it was released right after it also. Also now that you've read the first trilogy I'd highly recommend giving the audio drama adaptations a go. If you've never had a subscription with Audible then you get a 2 week free trial that includes two free audiobooks (or dramas in this case) which you can keep even if you cancel your subscription before the free trial expires. So you could get 2 out of 3 free if you're interested.

This post is sponsored by



:laugh:

Gentleman Death

How closely does the Isolation novelization follow the game, or vice versa?

SM

SM

#535
Only broadly.  It's more a book about Amanda than just the events of the game.

Kradan

Kradan

#536
Quote from: SM on Oct 30, 2020, 08:55:02 PM
The OotS audio drama was great.  RoP was a bit overacted I found.

I remember listening to OotS one, not realising initially it wasn't just an audiobook. I was so happy to hear Isolation sound effects !  :D

Gentleman Death

Gentleman Death

#537
Decided I'd wait on Bug Hunt as the first few stories were ok and I'm not much of a short story reader. I'll circle back to this after the one off stories....

Going ahead and jumping into The Cold Forge now...

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Gentleman Death on Nov 04, 2020, 12:03:39 AMGoing ahead and jumping into The Cold Forge now...

The best Alien book, in my opinion, and just a great sci-fi book in general.

Corporal Hicks

Agreed. Easily one of the top 4 Alien novels. Alex's other series, The Salvagers, is fantastic too! Still need to read the 3rd and final but it's on the book shelf waiting.

Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube RSS Feed