Alien/Predator Novel Reviews

Started by Hudson, Aug 19, 2014, 04:55:43 PM

Author
Alien/Predator Novel Reviews (Read 71,142 times)

Samhain13

Samhain13

I think for most South China Sea is considered the best and Forever Midnight the worse.

My favs are South China Sea, P2 novelization, If it bleeds.

THE PREDATOR: HUNTERS AND HUNTED was so much better than the movie, FLESH AND BLOOD was great for trying something different, similar to what Forever Midnight did I guess, but they didn't f**k everything up in the process.

Most of them are just fine for the most part.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Samhain13 on Dec 24, 2020, 02:10:41 AMI think for most South China Sea is considered the best and Forever Midnight the worse.

South China Sea almost certainly has the best Predator of any of the books, but I think Turnabout is a significantly better novel overall.

Agree on the Predator 2 novelisation being a contender for the best of the reads.

Unfortunately both of those are a bastard to get now.

That aside, and as someone who is a bigger Alien fan than Predator (especially when it comes to the EU), I'd say the ones Samahin mentioned are the ones really worth tracking down.

Samhain13

Samhain13

I will say Turnabout is an incredible novel indeed, but as a Predator novel I didn't enjoy it much due to the portrayal of the Predators in there.

Gentleman Death

Yeah I'm definitely more into Alien than Predator and still need to read the Rage Wars. But I felt that if I start to read the Predator books, I might just read them all...or just skip to the good stuff. Idk...

Kradan

Kradan

Rage War FTW

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Yeah, dare I say it, but they were probably my favourite AVP reads.

Samhain13

Samhain13

I mean in comparison to the AVP novels with Machiko there shouldn't be much contest. I was suprised at how much I enjoyed the Rage War Trilogy.

Gentleman Death

Gentleman Death

Quote from: Samhain13 on Dec 24, 2020, 03:56:04 PM
I mean in comparison to the AVP novels with Machiko there shouldn't be much contest. I was suprised at how much I enjoyed the Rage War Trilogy.

Ordered the Rage War trilogy. I also noticed there was a AvP omnibus of three novels. Is that worth getting into at all?

Finished Alien Echo

I went in reading this with little to no expectations, which could be why I didn't mind it. I wasn't blown away by the book but found it easier to read then some of the past novels. (ie Steel Egg and Cauldron)

I loved the backstory of the family being xenobiologists and how they travel from planet to planet and help out colonists. I know it's been briefly mentioned in prior books but giving them their own story was neat to read about. I liked how the author broke down some of the vegetation and wildlife, lion worms sounded pretty horrible.

Other than that, I couldn't stand any character besides Viola. It was really hard to get behind some of the motives or even how they acted. I gotta say that the character of Michael has to be up there with one of the worst, not only as a fiction character but the fact that he was even written into the story itself. The author seemed to handle all interaction fairly well except for person to person action and dialogue. It was really bad to get past this.

I wouldn't even go as far to call it romance/love story as yes, it's talked about by Olivia, constantly. But I couldn't care less as it seemed to focus a little on the actual environment of the planet. If the author maybe had devoted more pages of that and less of Olivia and Kora , I think it could've faired better for me personally.

Not bad, not great...I'd say it was mediocre.

Well, other than the Covenant novel and some random books like the blue prints or art work, that wraps it up until February. I ordered the Rage War Trilogy, but I'm kind of sad to not have any more. I'm still thinking of getting the AvP Omnibus book which I might after Rage. We'll see..

SM

SM

It's a survival story first and foremost.

I think Michael worked fine because he was a teenage boy consumed with jealousy and written from his rival's perspective.

As for the AvP omnibus, Prey is possibly the best AvP story.  I started reading Hunter's Planet a long time ago and it's a bit of a slog.

Gentleman Death

Quote from: SM on Dec 28, 2020, 02:14:55 AM
It's a survival story first and foremost.

I think Michael worked fine because he was a teenage boy consumed with jealousy and written from his rival's perspective.

As for the AvP omnibus, Prey is possibly the best AvP story.  I started reading Hunter's Planet a long time ago and it's a bit of a slog.

I get that, but at the same time I found it really hard to see someone actually acting the way he did and no one once trying to stop his actions.

SM

SM

From memory Olive tried to stop him.

skhellter

skhellter

everything i hear about Echoes reminds me of Starship Troopers with its "hot young cast" meeting horribly gory deaths.

gonna.. investigate it.

Gentleman Death

Quote from: skhellter on Dec 28, 2020, 04:34:57 PM
everything i hear about Echoes reminds me of Starship Troopers with its "hot young cast" meeting horribly gory deaths.

gonna.. investigate it.

The author doesn't go into detail about the characters looks. It does involve some teenagers but that's it. It was an easy and decent read. Worth a checking out.

Samhain13

Samhain13

To be fair its a good representation of how some teenagers behave and think, you kind of look forward to seeing what the aliens are gonna do to them. Not sure if it was the author's intention to make us cheer for the aliens though.  :-X

Now that I think the adults aren't much better either.

Quote from: Gentleman Death on Dec 27, 2020, 04:28:49 PM
Ordered the Rage War trilogy. I also noticed there was a AvP omnibus of three novels. Is that worth getting into at all?

I suppose its the one with the 3 Machiko novels ? I only read the first, I much prefer the comic than the novelization of it.

Other 2 just the premise alone was enough to push me away from reading them.

Gentleman Death

Quote from: Samhain13 on Dec 28, 2020, 09:50:47 PM
To be fair its a good representation of how some teenagers behave and think, you kind of look forward to seeing what the aliens are gonna do to them. Not sure if it was the author's intention to make us cheer for the aliens though.  :-X

Now that I think the adults aren't much better either.

Quote from: Gentleman Death on Dec 27, 2020, 04:28:49 PM

I suppose its the one with the 3 Machiko novels ? I only read the first, I much prefer the comic than the novelization of it.

Other 2 just the premise alone was enough to push me away from reading them.

Yeah, those are the Machiko ones but I know nothing of it. I think I'll hold off for now.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed